collapse

search

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 9475
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Gree - Tour of Guangxi
« on: October 16, 2017, 08:38 »
Gree - Tour of Guangxi

After the great success that was the Tour of Turkey, we only have to wait for another couple of days for the start of the next new World Tour event: the inaugural edition of the Tour of Guangxi.

The race starts in the beach city Beihai and finishes in the traditional town of Guilin, with stops in Qinzhou, Nanning and Liuzhou. Guangxi is a green province in the south of China, next to Guangdong province. The province is half the size of France, but with a more dense population. In Guangxi, there are 48mio inhabitants, which is 3 times the population of the Netherlands or 4 times the population of Belgium.

19.10. Stage 1: Beihai - Beihai (107,4 km / 2x 54,0 km)

20.10. Stage 2: Qinzhou - Nanning (156,7 km)

21.10. Stage 3: Nanning - Nanning (125,4 km / 4x 31,8 km)

22.10. Stage 4: Nanning - Mashan Nongla Scenic Spot (151,0 km)

23.10. Stage 5: Liuzhou - Guilin (212,2 km)

24.10. Stage 6: Guilin - Guilin (168,1 km)

~pdf Roadbook

The climb on day 4 averages at ~7% over 3km, but the first km is pretty steep with almost ~10% average. The other 5 stages should end up in a sprint. Bonus seconds (6-3-1 at the finish and 3-2-1 at the intermediate sprints) are handed out on all six stages.

Most World Tour teams will be around, also because there's the big UCI Gala after the race, with free drinks and canapés (I guess):
  • #astana Astana Pro Team (KAZ)
  • #bahrain Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team (BHR)
  • #bmc BMC Racing Team (USA)
  • #bora Bora-hansgrohe (GER)
  • #cajarural Caja Rural - Seguros RGA (ESP)
  • #cannondale Cannondale-Drapac Pro Cycling Team (USA)
  • #dimension Dimension Data (RSA)
  • #lotto Lotto Soudal (BEL)
  • #movistar Movistar Team (ESP)
  • #nippo Nippo - Vini Fantini (ITA)
  • #orica ORICA-Scott (AUS)
  • #quickstep Quick-Step Floors (BEL)
  • #katusha Team Katusha-Alpecin (SUI)
  • #jumbo Team LottoNL-Jumbo (NED)
  • #sky Team Sky (GBR)
  • #sunweb Team Sunweb (GER)
  • #trek Trek - Segafredo (USA)
  • #uae UAE Team Emirates (UAE)
The list of contenders for potential victories in the sprint stages looks quite good with guys like #quickstep Gaviria, #orica Ewan & Cort, #bahrain Bonifazio & Colbrelli, #sunweb Matthews, #jumbo Groenewegen, #bora Pelucchi, #cannondale Wippert, #lotto Hofland, #katusha Zabel, #trek Nizzolo, #uae Guardini, #nippo Marini, while #quickstep Alaphilippe, #bmc Roche, #sunweb Kelderman, #sky Landa & Poels or #lotto Wellens should be contenders for the overall - or maybe Matthews even, if the pace isn't too high, and he can pick up some bonus seconds.

The race was supposed to be on Eurosport, but as far as I can see, it's not going to happen. I haven't found any information about live coverage at least
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Gree - Tour of Guangxi
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 08:42 »
    as we all know, the beauty of cycling is best to be discovered on television - so locals are asked to stay inside and close all windows during the queen stage:

(that's what a friend of mine from China told me at least - Velon and some site promoting the race intervened on Twitter and said it's just a warning about potential dangers, no instruction)
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1514
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 09:02 »
    The race was supposed to be on Eurosport, but as far as I can see, it's not going to happen. I haven't found any information about live coverage at least

Hah! At least we could actually watch the late lamented Tour of Beijing. How are we supposed to moan about this one now? In a bizarre twist I was actually going to try and catch this one because DANES and ALAPHILIPPE - don't judge me!

The race isn't listed on Cycling Fans either, so unless they have some swishy YouTube stream that they haven't told us about, then it's nada.  Still we will have the 'highlights' from Velon... and by highlights I mean shaky images of the derriere of various cyclists, slo-mo bidon moments and STATISTICS ... all hail the new wave of bringing cycling to the mass audience.

Strangely, I swear I heard Carlton Kirby say ES are going to show to show the shiny end of season awards show which is before/after this event iirc.

PANTS  :P

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5359
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 20:37 »
    The types of stages are even similar to the Turkish ones, but if anything worse. However if the scenery is like below some of the stages could be worth tuning in for.

Anyway don't WT races have to be on TV or am I making that up?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 21:32 »
    Anyway don't WT races have to be on TV or am I making that up?

dunno. Seems like CCTV5 is covering it...
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 09:45 »
    dunno. Seems like CCTV5 is covering it...

I thought they had to be too... *goes off to check what the heck CCTV5 is *
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 10:54 »
    Velon News

https://twitter.com/VelonCC/status/920314789687123968

Our cameras will place you side by side with the fast men in the sprints and next to the overall contenders as they launch attacks on the key climbs.

After each stage, we’ll upload the best of the footage to Velon’s Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram pages, as well as publish highlights on www.velon.cc and the Velon Live Cycling app.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 17:16 »
    and by highlights I mean shaky images of the derriere of various cyclists, slo-mo bidon moments and STATISTICS ...
    Some people like that. ;)

But no, I'm not one of those people. :P
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 08:53 »

seems like the Roadbook is wrong and not 6 but 10 bonus seconds are awarded at the finish. Otherwise #bmc Dillier would be leading the race
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 09:23 »
    seems like the Roadbook is wrong and not 6 but 10 bonus seconds are awarded at the finish. Otherwise #bmc Dillier would be leading the race

I asked Matsport for clarification, and they replied that the original plan was overturned by the jury president as the UCI rules only allow bonifications of 10-6-4 at the finish.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 09:50 »
    I was up and about too late, but was there any readily available live coverage?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 10:50 »
    I was up and about too late, but was there any readily available live coverage?

it was live on Chinese TV and apparently there was a stream, but I couldn't get it to work. Stages 3 and 6 are broadcasted as well
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 18:24 »
    it was live on Chinese TV and apparently there was a stream, but I couldn't get it to work. Stages 3 and 6 are broadcasted as well

replays are available online by the way, and not geo restricted, as far as I can see:

http://search.cctv.com/search.php?qtext=%E7%8E%AF%E5%B9%BF%E8%A5%BF&type=video

Today #bmc Dillier gave it another try and picked up another 6 bonus seconds in the breakaway, but as Gaviria won again it wasn't enough to take the leader's jersey

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 10:25 »
    and another one for Gaviria:

there's also an American website called "Flobikes" that provides half an hour of English speaking highlights as well by the way, free to view without subscription: https://www.flobikes.com/events/6020195-2017-tour-of-guangxi
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 10:32 »
    lovely sprint there by Gaviria yesterday btw, in the wind 500m too early :D

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 19:23 »
    I timed the sprint and it lasts 52 seconds !?  :-x :lol

Everything is not what it seems though. It's four camera views showing the same thing played one after another instead of being cut together. He passes the first marshal standing in the central reservation initially at 56s, second time at roughly 1m21, third at at 1m33 and the final one is at 1m42.

He's good, but not 52 seconds good.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1318
    « Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 11:17 »
    http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=8742.0

Reminder from Quebec:

(Le Soir - 9 & 10 September - Interview with Tim Wellens prior to the Quebec race)

I am Not Happy with My Season

[...]

How do you rate your Montreal victory?

There are two kinds of victories. In the Tour of Italy stage I was in the breakaway and it held through. In Montreal I was the strongest in the race. It's evidently different and brings more intoxicant satisfaction. That day I proved I could win a World Tour single-day race even though it's still the only one till date.

Unless you do it again next Sunday?

In any case I'm very motivated and still have a big appetite partly because I am not happy with my season.

Four wins is not bad though?

Honestly no. I had better results in 2016 and an athlete's aim is making progress, which is not (yet) the case this season. So I will get to the end of the agenda with Montreal, the Tour of Lombardy and the Guangzi Tour in order to win something.

Is your pessimistic analysis linked to your Tour of France disappointment?

Perhaps but I was already not happy with my Ardennes classics, which were my main objectives. Amstel Gold aside, I was average.

--------------

Just in time but he's done it. Hopefully Tim can get the GC as well.  :)

Since that interview he's won the Wallonia GP, though but I'm still pretty sure that he cannot contend with that either. In Lombardy he disappointed as well. Shame for a rider who is now supposed to be in his prime. He performed better when he was young.  :(
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 07:48 »
    I asked Matsport for clarification, and they replied that the original plan was overturned by the jury president as the UCI rules only allow bonifications of 10-6-4 at the finish.
    Hell, I know that[1]. UCI only allows 10-6-4 at the finish, or none at all.

:fp
     1. admittedly, I'm a rules nerd
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 07:54 »
    Bookkeeping duties.

Wellens wins the 'mountain' stage (better classified as hilltop finish):

Groenewegen spoils Gaviria's so-far perfect record:

Gaviria gets his revenge:

Wellens takes the overall:

Onto hibernation! ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:13 by LukasCPH »

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1318
    « Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 21:27 »

(Le Soir - 23 October 2017)

Tim Wellens Has Still Got Punch

The Limburger won a stage at the Tour of Guangxi

He dislikes summer, he loathes that heat that gives him pimples and strongly reduces his athletic capacities but on the other hand Tim Wellens loves those the intermediate seasons: the promising spring air and the mixed autumn colours.

While he suffered martyrdom on the roads of a Tour of France (abandon) - where you want see him any time soon - the Limburger won three races when the season was in its first breaths (two legs of the Mallorca Challenge and a stage at the Tour of Andalucia beside a podium at the Strade Bianche).

The Lotto Soudal puncher did likewise late summer with a win at the Lowland Tour (in Houffalize) and at the Wallonia GP and then last Sunday an arduous stage at the Tour of Guangxi, China, last World Tour race of the season. This 6th victory of the season, his personal record since he turned pro [7th now with the GC], is one that the adopted Monegasque has dreamed about for a few weeks already.

Peak of Form

In the evening of his win at the top of the Citadelle of Namur, without any illusion for a Tour of Lombardy, taylor-made for climbers (he was 20th in Como), Tim had already told his bosses and fans that his last peak of the season would be in China.

Yet I wasn't really easy this Sunday but the team never stopped supporting me, physically in wind-sheltering me but most of all mentally.

More and more inspired as the kilometers went passing by the Limburger countered an attack by Bauke Mollema (Trek) in the last climb (3km with 6.6% gradient) and won ahead of the Dutchman and Nicolas Roche of Ireland (BMC).

I've already long noted that this day was the most important of the general classification and fortunately I handled it very efficiently. With two days left, I'm sure going to defend this leadership of this nice World Tour race. At the other end of the World, jetlag and food are two factors that need be watched out very closely but for the time being everything works perfectly.

Tim Wellens already has viatica of 4, 9, 13 and 16 seconds on his closest rivals: Bauke Mollema (Trek), Nicolas Roche (BMC), Julian Alaphilippe (Quick Step) and Ben Hermans (BMC). He will need to mark them very closely in the longest stage towards Guilin (212 kilometer with four climbs).

-----------

Nice to note that the two Belgian guys who shone in China are Limburgers: Tim Wellens and Ben Hermans.  :)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Latest Roadbooks