collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 5359
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Lappartient
« on: October 23, 2017, 18:47 »
One of Cookson's faults in his time as president was that he promised a lot at the start, but like most sport admins he turned up out to be all talk and no trousers. Will Lappartient be any different?

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/10/uci-president-one-day-la-course-not-enough/

“I think [La Course] is a good step but it is not enough,” Lappartient said.

“I think that we must continue in women’s cycling to make women’s cycling richer, and that is something the UCI must concentrate on. That is why I will speak to the organisers of the Tour de France because they are leaders in the world for organising races and we need them to maybe be more involved in women’s cycling.”

Not really a promise as such, but will he be able to do anything to persuade organizers?

http://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/worldtour/uci-lappartient-annuncia-voler-eliminare-le-radioline/

"I've already made it known that I want to ban radios in the coming worlds,"

The intention, then, seems to be to re-consider a progressive elimination, beginning with the iridated review and the minor races, then passing season after season, even with the help of technological innovations, to break it completely from every race.

Of course you may not view every promise as a good thing, or only good under certain circumstances.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/09/uci-presidential-election-lappartient-will-not-take-orders-aso-headquarters/

So is your stance on corticosteroids this the same as the MPCC?

Yes. We will continue to ask to forbid in competition corticoids and also Tramadol. I think that we have to go in this way. Of course, we have to be serious and not do something that would also be illegal. Of course we have to work very closely with the lawyer of the UCI to see what is possible

Getting in an escape clause there. "It's the lawyer's fault". ;)

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/new-uci-president-david-lappartient-to-clamp-down-on-motor-doping-352164

David Lappartient, has made technological fraud in the professional peloton his biggest target.

“We were not professional enough on this subject and I will bring some new ideas to check the bikes and to be stronger on this subject. I don’t want the UCI to be seen as weak in the fight against technological fraud,”

There's a few promises already for us to keep a beady eye on.

Will he turn out to be just like the rest?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5359
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Re: Lappartient
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 18:28 »
    http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/cyclisme/uci-david-lappartient-souhaite-l-interdiction-des-oreillettes-et-des-equipes-de-six-coureurs-1289274.html

Another file opened by David Lappartient, that of the decrease of the number of runners by team. "At the time, there were ten riders in the teams, and we managed to go down to nine, but I'm going to go further, and six riders per team would be better."

Too far? I would say let's see what happens with the reductions planned for 2018. Run with those numbers for a couple of years and see how it pans out before doing anything too hasty.

Taken in isolation though I'd have no probs with it. As long as they bumped up the number of invited teams - max of 29 to keep under the 176 limit.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1540
    « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 21:05 »
    What happens when you reduce the numbers in each team is that it gets harder too compose a team with mixed objectives. Surely you can put a half-bad GC candidate with a climber or two for support in a 9-person team with a decent sprinter that demands at least a 4-man dedicated train. (#katusha with Sprintoff and Zakharin, for example, and #quickstep with Dan Martin and some german dude with good looking hair).
    If you cut from 9 to 8 it gets a little bit harder - and it may not work out very well for teams that have hired riders looking forward to compose this kind of teams with mixed objectives. There are some that just can't be put on the team and either the GC rider or the sprinter may disagree with that etc.
    Cutting all the way to 6 sounds radical, but it might work - what happens then is you migth get no teams with mixed objectives. They will be forced to choose, and turn up as #cofidis with a boxing squad for the bunch sprints or as #sky with all eyes fixed on the GC table. There will be two more separated races in the race (then why not have two races....) but maybe some of the lost diversity can be made up by adding a couple of teams.
    Sprinters vs GC teams are extreme examples, some may actually show up with a squad of stage thieves for media montagna stages in weeks 2 and 3, while #movistar still may come with a squad with unparallelled stamina and restitution that is almost unbeatable supporting Nairo Quintana's 4th week surge..  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1748
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 08:20 »
     Pretty much what Mr T says in terms of how teams will operate, plus there is the issue of rider employment.
    As we have seen with a number of squads for next season, rider reduction in races leads to rider reduction in squads.
    A quarter of the current peloton out of work, or forced to move down levels is not an enticing prospect. Emerging talent will find it a lot harder to make the breakthrough.
    On the possible plus side, falling costs might entice more sponsorship and encourage more teams to be set up. However this is by no means a gimme.

Lappartient's initial goals appear to be narrow and very much in line with the cycling public's perception of what is required to deliver a French TDF winner.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.