collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 5474
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Musings on the 2017 Season
« on: November 23, 2017, 12:56 »
If someone wants to organize the 2017 awards this thread can always be cannibalized, but in lieu of that happening I thought we may as well have a thread to put forward our thoughts on the racing season without the baggage of polls and voting.

There are no fixed categories. If you want to suggest a winner for the "Best Viking on a Bike" category then go for it, but give reasoning.

Some standard categories that might need musing on are:

Team of the Year
Rider of the Year
Young Rider of the Year
Stage Race of the Year
Stage of the Year
1-Day Race of the Year
Moment of the Year
Glue Factory Inductee

I have a couple of winners in mind that I'll post in a bit.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Re: Musings on the 2017 Season
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 14:11 »
    Moment of the Year - Hammer TTT

:dizzy

32m42 onwards.

Even if you hated the premise of the entire event you must admit that this was pretty funny. Six (?) teams all drafting each other and the UCI guy on his moto waving his hands like King Cnut trying to get them to stop. Add in the fact that the BMC team must have walked under numerous ladders or opened several umbrellas inside, the close finish between Sky and Sunweb and you do have some form of entertainment. Maybe not the kind they were after, but it made me laugh.

I wonder how they'll refine it in 2018?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 14:51 »
    1-Day Race of the Year - Amstel Gold Race

For a non-cobbled (or non-sterrato) race in this day and age to have significant action from ~40km out is pretty good going. The organizers deserve a pat on the back for altering the parcour and removing the Cauberg from the finish. Obviously you don't want to take away from races all the sections or climbs that make them iconic, but there's a lot to be said for shaking things up and switching them around every so often. Not only do we not know what's likely to happen then, but more importantly the riders don't either.

It didn't end up with the winner I wanted, but in this case I wasn't too disappointed.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1327
    « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 19:51 »
    Team of the Year: I don't know. Never been interested in collective performances
    Rider of the Year : Greg Van Avermaet: how long since World Tour or equivalent winner was also Paris-Roubaix winner. Back to Sean Kelly in 1986. I'd guess.
    Young Rider of the Year: Mathieu Van der Poel (on some boards I was ridiculed for talking cyclocross on the road section, as though Mathieu was not also a road rider  :S)
    Stage Race of the Year: Tour of Belgium. Battle between Wout Van Aert, Jens Keukeleire and Rémi Cavagna and a victory for Jens with the national team jersey. Sadly it was decided by time bonuses but still a very enjoyable race.
    Stage of the Year: Stage 2 of the Tour of Belgium Knokke-Heist - Moorslede. On a slightly hilly route (Mount Kemmel, Monteberg) a breakaway got clear of the peloton and never was caught back, with among others Mathieu Van der Poel, Wout Van Aert, Philippe Gilbert, Oliver Naesen, Tony Martin and Tiesj Benoot. Mathieu won that race in between two MTB World Cup event, first one in Nove Mesto four days before, in which he impressed everybody with a great comeback and next one 3 days after in Albstadt, he came second to Schurter.
    1-Day Race of the Year: Paris-Roubaix but then again it is Paris-Roubaix and every year it's the best. Even a disappoiting Paris-Roubaix 2005 is greater than any other races. Anyway this one was great with the best possible winner. Greg wins despite a despicable Lefevere tactic making Stybar suck his wheel for an ageing Boonen who would have worked no chance.  :( And then record average speed...
    Moment of the Year: No idea.
    Glue Factory Inductee: still don't know what it means.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 20:45 »
    Glue Factory Inductee: still don't know what it means.

Back in ye olden days when a horse got too old or infirm to do a day's work it usually got sent off to the knacker's yard to be (at least partially) turned into glue. Think about Animal Farm.

So the category refers to someone you think should be metaphorically sent off to the Glue Factory as they are no longer any use on a cycling team.

I had a quick look through some of the teams to see if someone jumped out at me, but nothing really did. Maybe Phinney or Adam Hansen as the "GTs in a row" schtick is getting a bit old or Funvic if an entire team is permissible.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1775
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 21:22 »
    Anyhow, moving slightly further afield than Echoes. :D

Team of the Year:- Sunweb
    Rider of the Year:- Chris Froome
    Young Rider of the Year:- If Dylan Teuns is classed as too long in the tooth, then Egan Bernal
    Stage Race of the Year:- Paris-Nice
    Stage of the Year:- A TDF tie: Stage 9 Nantua - Chambéry and Stage 13 Saint-Girons - Foix
    1-Day Race of the Year:- De Ronde 
    Moment of the Year:-Poogate
    Glue Factory Inductee:-Brian Cookson obviously. Jurgen van den Broeck as the occasional bike rider.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1343
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 12:13 »
    Team of the Year:Sunweb
    Rider of the Year: Froome
    Young Rider of the Year: Gaviria
    Stage Race of the Year: Giro
    Stage of the Year: Vuelta stage 20,Contador
    1-Day Race of the Year: PR
    Moment of the Year: López attacking to win a stage in Vuelta, like a rocket ship past Yates.
    Glue Factory Inductee: Nordhaug
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Joelsim
    [December 15, 2017, 17:33]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by LukasCPH
    [December 15, 2017, 13:10]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by jimmythecuckoo
    [December 15, 2017, 12:58]

[December 15, 2017, 09:40]

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [December 15, 2017, 07:45]

[December 14, 2017, 21:56]