collapse

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 3897
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
Re: Santos Tour Down Under
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 11:48 »
yeah there is a bit of a fuss that they should have stopped the race today, or done more ...

but really - they are holding a bike race ... in Australia ... in January.    It gets hot!!!   that isnt news.  it isnt unexpected.  Adam Hansen is the riders rep, and I think upset people a bit when he basically said "if you cant take the heat, dont start the year with the Tour Down Under"    :lol

there are a number of teams who have been here for about 2 weeks to aclimitise, and I think they did better today.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2287
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 16:20 »
    So far it's been last year's the Tour of Britain, with the oven door left open, instead of the fridge.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6515
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 17:24 »
    there are a number of teams who have been here for about 2 weeks to aclimitise, and I think they did better today.

However Haas, who had been in the country for a while, suffered mightily as well.

45° temps sounds like extreme weather to me. Surely there has to be a cut-off point?
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1445
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 19:35 »
    I see Ruben Fernandez is no better than last year.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1410
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 01:09 »
    Having lived, and ridden in Las Vegas, NV; and Phoenix, AZ, I have known temps of 40C and above. And I will swear that the only secret to dealing with them, and they can be dealt with, is HYDRATION. Drinking lots and lots of water. So you can sweat it out. Now, I will modify that statement somewhat - it also depends on the relative humidity. 40C in Doha is NOTHING like 40C in Phoenix AZ or Las Vegas. I just don't know anything about the humidity in Oz. 40C on the Arabian gulf, and you are talking HUMID heat. 40C in Las Vegas, and no problem - it is dry dry dry. In Phoenix, it is dry, but only one "dry", with perhaps 30-40% humidity. I don't think it is humanly possible to deal with 40C in Doha without consequence, whereas I wouldn't particularly be concerned in NV or AZ. Same thing in the US "South" (Memphis, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Atlanta) - 100F is intolerable there, and racing in it can be life-threatening. So what is the humidity at the TDU?

FYI, I saw temps of 120 F (49C) in Vegas one year. I had a sweet little TR4 convertible, and I drove around with the top down on the way to work. The wind dried the sweat so fast I didn't have to worry about any odor at work. But somewhere around there - 120F or 50C - is where I think the limit should be, even if it's dry.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 01:29 »
     :D
    Sagan. This man just keeps getting better and better.
    http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/news/2018/jan/19/just-in-case-you-couldnt-love-peter-sagan-any-more

First - he VOLUNTEERS to help the volunteers working the race.
    Second - he manages multiple "star" requests for pics, photo ops, etc, with aplomb, humility, and class.
    Third - he just doesn't lose his cool.

Can you imagine how Bradley would have responded to this pressure?

The very first year that Sagan was present in the pro peloton, Joe Papp cast doubt on Sagan's validity in another forum. Because I put some credence in Joe's opinion, I have watched Sagan carefully. No rider will ever be beyond suspicion, but Sagan has had no hint of dopage, to date.

AND, he has repeatedly responded to public situations like nothing more than a regular guy.

I know Echoes will disagree, but it looks to me like Sagan, in spite of his star status, remembers that he is no better than the rest of us, when it gets down to the final day. That is the essence of humility.

I like it.

• ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 942
    « Reply #36 on: January 20, 2018, 02:57 »
    With all that stage for aftermath hot weather talk during stage 5...

the jaded cynic in me just has a hard time to take riders who moan about safety seriously, knowing the things they chose to do to their own body or tolerate from others around them without creating too much of a stir about that.

It feels a bit like the very people organizing a torchlit procession through a fireworks factory getting hot under the collar about the dangerous predicament the supplier of the safety manual is putting them into by having misspelled 'there might be exploZions" on page 4, rather than looking at the wisdom of the tour's theme to begin with.
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 942
    « Reply #37 on: January 20, 2018, 03:03 »

First - he VOLUNTEERS to help the volunteers working the race.

Evil grin: I bet joining the clean-up crew was just a last-ditch attempt to retrieve some incriminating evidence he lost down that stretch of road after some indulgent crowd-pleasing bike bunny hopping ;)
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #38 on: January 20, 2018, 18:55 »
    Evil grin: I bet joining the clean-up crew was just a last-ditch attempt to retrieve some incriminating evidence he lost down that stretch of road after some indulgent crowd-pleasing bike bunny hopping ;)

Man, you rollin' like a bowlin' ball with that cynic today!
     :lol
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #39 on: January 21, 2018, 00:21 »
    I have never been a Sagan fan. 

But I have to admit he has grown up.  Lost some of the over the top arrogance and gained a little humility along the way. 

He wont ever be my favourite rider, but I do admire his incredibly freaky skills on the bike - and accept his wins with a little more grace these days  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6880
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #40 on: January 21, 2018, 23:03 »
    Caleb's Prayer
    Thy wish shalt be granted, oh young one! :angel

Gushing over The Sagz
    Thank & bless Kate.
    When she came into his life, he turned from a spoiled little clown into a thoughtful young man who takes on his responsibilities with grace.
    :shh
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6611
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 10:27 »
    Difficult to know what to make of the heat situation in the last week. Certainly it has kept Adam Hansen busy.

I have sometimes thought, with a certain level of cynicism, that the equation also has to do with the physical and temporal distance from the traditional epicentre of cycling. In this way, Qatar or Oz in Jan or Feb might provoke a less tolerant reaction from riders than, say, the Tour or the Vuelta in July and Aug.

Elsewhere, and always acknowledging that I'm far away and entirely dependent on the quality of the media, the TDU seemed to lack something this year. If anything, the tight time gaps ought to have made it more exciting but I felt like, between the sprints and the déjà vu at Willunga, there was something a bit less sparkling about it.

Impey was a worthy, if rather surprising, winner. I knew he could TT and sprint a bit but I thought he was more like of those guys who shows up in a reduced bunch situation, in the mould of a Meersman or an Albasini. That said, Albasini has certainly excelled at Flèche-Wallonne and LBL, so I suppose I should not be surprised to read that Impey will be targeting those races this season.

And the South African has never, it must be said, really been given his head. He is a reliable and loyal team player, we know that, and the team stood by him throughout his brush with the Dark Side. Those events could have made him a bit more reticent with the media but on the bike he doesn't make too many waves either. It will be interesting to see what he can do with more leadership opportunities.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2611
    « Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 21:10 »
    Some seem to think heat is used as an excuse, but as a responsible leader you don't want to see people collapsing from heat exhaustion. I have even seen that taken into account on admission tests for elite soldiers, who might be one of the few groups expected to out-hardman even the most hardman cyclist.

However, there are many ways to avoid heat exhaustion. Stopping the race is the extreme end means of controlling the situation. Early morning starts, plenty of drink available, ice betweeen the shoulderblades, shortening stages etc are other tricks in the toolbox. On a circuit course they could actually install 100m of showers on the early laps, using gardening hoses.

Heat is very difficult to judge if you are not on location and more or less actually riding. It's not just temperature, as wind and humidity plays very important roles when temperature hovers around body temperature. On the same hot day it can be tolerable with a little wind in the open plains and valleys while absolutely unbearable on  a steep climb in a wind-protected valley.

Another factor: there are spectators too, and I have seen them collapsing on football matches with temperatures ~ 41-42 celsius (and a football stadium is usually fairly well protected with regards to wind).  Heat collapse is a threatening situation, and sports are, and should be, considered games, in that context. I would prefer a cautious approach, in the long run that is fairly tolerable.

I also think that in general it is easier to apply the race-obstructing heat countermeasures (such as a "peloton leader" stopping the stage under a bridge) if it happens in a less prestigeous race.  The Tour and the Vuelta seem fairly immune to heat related race changes, although temperatures can certainly be high at times. However, there hasn't been very many heat-related injuries either in these races in recent years, as far as I can remember?

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #43 on: January 23, 2018, 03:58 »
    and - they have an extreme weather protocol for exactly that reason - that its expected to be hot so they make arrangements.

They did start the race earlier, and reduce the length of the stage ... they did have extra feed zones and water ... short of actually cancelling the stage there isnt much they can do.

They did cancel the family/ mass participation ride that was due to be held before the stage, which was sensible.

Other than that - realistically, there were only a few riders who 'needed' to go full gas.  The rest could easily have formed a bus at the back and taken it easy without too much hassle.   My sympathy is somewhat limited
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Recent Posts

Re: The Academy of Cycling by t-72
    [September 18, 2018, 20:03]

Re: Retirement announcements by t-72
    [September 18, 2018, 19:27]

Re: Riders & team Twitter tweets (noteworthy and/or frivolous) by M Gee
    [September 18, 2018, 19:22]