collapse

Murrjt

• A Brother
  • 2nd Year Pro
  • Liked: 631
Grand Prix Cycliste la Marseillaise
« on: January 10, 2018, 21:46 »

The start of the Grand Prix Cycliste la Marseillaise which will open the 2018 season of the French Cyclist Cup will be on Sunday January 28 on the forecourt of the Departmental Council of Bouches-du-Rhone in Marseille.

No major change for this edition of the race however the legendary Marseilles test still promises some nice surprises.

The route this year is similar to that of 2017, once again it is 145 kilometers long and retains its main difficulties: Espigouliers, Petit Galibier and for the third consecutive year, the route des Crêtes, which overlooks La Ciotat and Cassis, and which will precede Gineste, the ultimate "bump" before the spectacular dive to Marseille.

Romain Bardet will be starting his 2018 campaign in this race, he was originally going to be starting in Italy a couple of weeks later at Trofeo Laigueglia but feeling in good shape wanted to start a bit earlier, he will be joined by Tony Gallopin in his first race for AG2R.

Teams

#ag2r #fdj #cofidis #delko #fortuneo #vital  #direct #vlaanderen #willems #wanty #wbva #cibel #murias #amore #roubaix #auber

Startlist

previous winners
2017   VICHOT Arthur *fr
2016   DEVENYNS Dries *be   
2015   LIGTHART Pim *nl   
2014   VAN BILSEN Kenneth *be   
2013   JULES Justin *fr   
2012   DUMOULIN Samuel *fr   
2011   ROY Jérémy *fr   
2010   HIVERT Jonathan *fr   
2009   PAURIOL Rémi *fr   
2008   DUCLOS-LASSALLE Hervé *fr

:web
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10144
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Grand Prix Cycliste la Marseillaise
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 08:51 »
    final start list for today:

~pdf http://matsport.fr/resultat/2018/GPM/pdf/Partants6x3UCI.pdf

#ag2r is sending a mighty strong team with Bardet, Gallopin, Dumoulin and Geniez. Overall the competition looks fine though
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Murrjt

• A Brother
    • 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 12:36 »
    The break consisting of Siskevicius #delko De Bondt #willems Ruyters #cibel Dernies and Vermeulen #roubaix have about 5 minutes over the  #ag2r lead peloton with about 90km left.
  • ReplyReply

• Murrjt

• A Brother
    • 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 15:00 »
    Vermeulen was the first to be dropped and was caught with about 60km to go, the gap kept on coming down with #ag2r and #cofidis on the front and the remaining four were caught with 30km left.

Just after they were reeled in the peloton hit the penultimate hill of the race where a group of 12 initially took the lead, this was down to two when Geniez and Calmejane went clear, not long after they were joined by Gallopin. These three had a small gap over a chasing group of Madouas, Duval, Herrada, Di Gregorio, Martin and Eiking. The groups combined at the foot of the final climb.

Bardet (who I guess was also in the second group not Duval), Gallopin and Eiking then attacked but didn't really get anywhere and it came back together with a group of 9 riders at the front, by this point with 10 kilometers left the peloton was well behind and out of contention. The attacks kept coming and in the end it was Geniez #ag2r who was able to take the victory ahead of Eiking #wanty and Calmejane #direct

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 15:12 by Murrjt »

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1864
    « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 20:27 »
    #wanty Eiking and #astana Korsæth so far the only Norwegians to manage season debut without crashing. The statistics are really horrible, perhaps Norwegians should stick to snow and ice in January.
    However, this is good news! Second place with #wanty ahead of all of #fdj is a step for Eiking in the direction of proving himself as a captain.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6089
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 10:40 »
    Geniez is pretty reliable for a decent win or two every year such that I often find myself mixing him up with Alexis Vuillermoz. Same age, similar profile, although Vuillermoz probably climbs a bit better.

Alongside Gougeard and Dumoulin, these represent a small core that chalks a few wins on the board for #ag2r, a team traditionally reliant on high placings from its GC leaders for the bulk of its WT points.

Nobody would deny that Naesen was a great coup for last season and Dillier for this, but with Pozzovivo gone, one has to wonder if Bardet has too much responsibility for filling Lavenu's scoreboard, since we have seen all Frank can do, Gallopin wins but rarely and Latour probably needs a couple more seasons to mature.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:57 by L'arri »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1864
    « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 21:03 »
    Geniez is pretty reliable for a decent win or two every year such that I often find myself mixing him up with Alexis Vuillermoz. Same age, similar profile, although Vuillermoz probably climbs a bit better.
    mature.

#wanty Eiking and #ag2r Vuillermoz are more comparable (not by name though!  :D) .

Eiking said he had Geniez' wheel  but couldn't get past him as Geniez is a bit bigger and a better sprinter. AFAIK they raced together for one year on #fdj so probably they are a bit familiar with each other's strengths and weaknesses. I also think #wanty Eiking and Martin had to work harder pulling in attacks from more numerous #ag2r guys in the final group.

I disagree about Pozzovivo vs  Gallopin.  Gallopin' Tony is just as likely or even more likely than Pozzovivo to score a stage win, and when he wins it is more often a serious stage in a serious race. Pozzo will take stages in the minor Spanish stage races, which is OK. Gallopin takes podium in San Sebastian (by subscription) and he wins stages in Tour de France and Paris-Nice, plus he's French. In slightly poetic terms:

Gallopin in
    and Pozzo out,
    for Ag2R is win,
    no doubt.     

Gallopin can in addition win a one day race with some hills in it, like ... San Sebastian, exactly that. France also need somebody that can downhill better than #fdj Pinot when the world championships will take place in Innsbruck.
     Lavenu should not be particularly concerned, methinks! '

But Naesen ... probably the best rider on the team this year! 
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks

Recent Posts