LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 7541
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Smaller Race Results and Discussion 2018
« on: January 28, 2018, 01:05 »
Didn't see the sprint stages, but the Queen stage was pretty good. One improvement would be a slightly shorter TT.
I saw the ITT and the final stage on #baku duty.
It played out exactly as you'd expect - break goes, gets 2:30 minutes, escapees attack each other on penultimate lap, everyone is caught on final lap, sprint.
The ITT ... was an ITT. I agree that it was too long for a stage race with this lack of difficulties, becoming too decisive for what was otherwise two mass sprints and a small group arriving together.

Now to my criticism of the race:
Other than the crossings of the finish line, there was no indication whatever of how far along in the stage they were at any given point (except for a running clock that showed the time raced, which is nice, I guess, but doesn't say anything about distance covered or left). I'm dedicated, but not even I am prepared to memorise the route map of a 2.5-hour crit stage including local landmarks etc. just to be able to tell if they're at 5 or at 3 km to go.
Contrary to the road stages, there was no live timing in the ITT - where it would have been very useful indeed! All we had there was one quick look at the intermediate standings halfway through (which later rose to infamous prominence as the 'provisional stage result').
Maybe the Arabic commentator(s) said something about riders' ITT times or the distance to go ... but I don't understand Arabic.

If you want your race to be taken seriously and develop it into something more than a gadget that you can brag about to your sheikh peers, this is simply not good enough.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 21:33 by LukasCPH »
    Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean