collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 6643
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: Smaller Race Results and Discussion 2018
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2018, 20:41 »

I wasn't totally crackers having Alex in my CQ team last year. Very weak field for a 2.1 and the parcour wasn't as tough as I had it in my head, but he deserved the win for sure. He was part of the break for three days in a row with the middle of those being the only unsuccessful day as he and Vogt got caught with 500m to go.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #32 on: January 29, 2018, 18:57 »
    I saw the ITT and the final stage on #baku duty.
    It played out exactly as you'd expect - break goes, gets 2:30 minutes, escapees attack each other on penultimate lap, everyone is caught on final lap, sprint.
    The ITT ... was an ITT. I agree that it was too long for a stage race with this lack of difficulties, becoming too decisive for what was otherwise two mass sprints and a small group arriving together.

Now to my criticism of the race:
    Other than the crossings of the finish line, there was no indication whatever of how far along in the stage they were at any given point (except for a running clock that showed the time raced, which is nice, I guess, but doesn't say anything about distance covered or left). I'm dedicated, but not even I am prepared to memorise the route map of a 2.5-hour crit stage including local landmarks etc. just to be able to tell if they're at 5 or at 3 km to go.
    Contrary to the road stages, there was no live timing in the ITT - where it would have been very useful indeed! All we had there was one quick look at the intermediate standings halfway through (which later rose to infamous prominence as the 'provisional stage result').
    Maybe the Arabic commentator(s) said something about riders' ITT times or the distance to go ... but I don't understand Arabic.

If you want your race to be taken seriously and develop it into something more than a gadget that you can brag about to your sheikh peers, this is simply not good enough.

I dunno. I think you're being a bit harsh.

If it was just a plaything or some sort of status symbol, wouldn't they have splashed the cash and invited some bigger teams and names? The fact that it has evolved up from a 2.2 to a 2.1 and they haven't gone overboard on upgrading the field gives it a more organic feel and suggests to me that the budget isn't unlimited.

I would be congratulating them on offering free coverage of the entire race from start to finish (a certain WT race offered zero live coverage). The lack of times and splits is always annoying, but as you said, maybe the comms were giving some info and we couldn't understand the lingo.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 19:01 »

Didn't the Algerians used to not invite the Moroccans to races and vice versa? Zibans mustn't have got the memo.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6644
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 20:01 »
    Ah yes, the annual crashfest. Always gets the big Italian names out of bed early in the year though.

Nibali didn't get out of bed but it was a crashfest. Ouch. :o
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6918
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 09:49 »
    If it was just a plaything or some sort of status symbol, wouldn't they have splashed the cash and invited some bigger teams and names? The fact that it has evolved up from a 2.2 to a 2.1 and they haven't gone overboard on upgrading the field gives it a more organic feel and suggests to me that the budget isn't unlimited.
    I'd counter this by saying that they care so little about the race apart from it being a status symbol that they simply didn't want to invite bigger teams. Also because the budget isn't limitless, but mostly because that inter-emirate rivalry is so intense.

UAE Team Emirates & Bahrain Merida would be obvious choices for top teams, you'd think ... but then, those are teams from Abu Dhabi and Bahrain[1]. And more than having a stellar field, a billionaire sheikh cares about not being upstaged by his rival sheikh's team in his own race. #uae & #bahrain would have wiped the floor with the #sharjah Sharjah Team - that is unacceptable. Rather lose out to "Giro and Tour stage winners" (or however you'd spin #delko #wilier #vital) that nobody in Sharjah recognises than to be upstaged by 'the other emirate'.

I would be congratulating them on offering free coverage of the entire race from start to finish (a certain WT race offered zero live coverage). The lack of times and splits is always annoying, but as you said, maybe the comms were giving some info and we couldn't understand the lingo.
    Other than stage 3 (which I didn't see), the race was an utter bore. Free coverage of watching paint dry still only lets you watch paint dry.
    I'm not opposed to watching dull sprint stages per se, but even I draw the line somewhere.
     1. they're actually Italian and Italo-Slovenian, but the sheikhs don't know that
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 09:33 »
    Colombia Oro y Paz 6th - 11th February

Stage 1 Circuito Palmira (99.9km)

9 laps

Stage 2 Palmira › Palmira (183.4km)

Stage 3 Palmira › Buga (163.2km)

Stage 4 Buga › Alto Boquerón (El Tambo) (149.5km)

Stage 5 Pereira › Salento (163.7km)

Stage 6 Armenia › Manizales (Torre de Chipre) (187.7km)

List of competing teams:

Movistar - Quintana
    Quick-Step Floors - Gaviria and Alaphilippe
    EF Drapac - Uran
    Sky - Bernal and Henao

Manazana Postobon - Molano and Reyes
    Burgos BH
    Holowesko Citadel - Eisenhart and Murphy
    Israel Cycling Academy - Avila and Raim
    Androni Sidermec - Sosa and Malucelli
    Euskadi Murias
    CCC Sprandi
    UnitedHealthcare - Tvetcov and Acevedo
    Bardiani CSF - Ciccone and Guardini

Coldeportes Zenu - Cano and Rubiano
    Medellin Inder - Sevilla and Mendoza
    Bicicletas Strongman - Cala
    GW Shimano - Serpa and Parra
    EPM
    Illuminate - Laas
    Trevigiani Phonix - Penalver and Montoya
    Orgullo Paisa - Montiel
    Agrupacion Virgen De Fatima - Richeze and Escuela

Colombia - Pantano and Atapuma
    Russia
    Italy - Vigano
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11272
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 09:42 »
    I was surprised to see Vigano on that list... but it seems like it's the Italian National Track team competing there

http://www.cicloweb.it/2018/02/01/colombia-oro-y-paz-al-via-nazionale-azzurra-pistard/
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2649
    « Reply #39 on: February 03, 2018, 13:17 »
    I was surprised to see that it is softer than the average Tour of Norway on the stage profiles. I thought these columbians only practiced on 90 degree slopes!

#quickstep Gaviria (if recovered) wins everything!
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #40 on: February 06, 2018, 18:22 »
    https://twitter.com/CiclismoInter/status/960933244676997120

Big gap left by the Agrupacion Virgen De Fatima(?) rider. Molano did well to stay in Gaviria's wheel, but you feel the Quick-Step rider didn't even have to get out of third gear.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 19:14 »
    https://twitter.com/CiclismoInter/status/960933244676997120

Big gap left by the Agrupacion Virgen De Fatima(?) rider. Molano did well to stay in Gaviria's wheel, but you feel the Quick-Step rider didn't even have to get out of third gear.

Yeah, not much competition there. I saw a bit of it earlier on, seems not to be geo-restricted.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #43 on: February 08, 2018, 19:16 »
    https://twitter.com/CiclismoInter/status/961669916427505664

The only interesting thing from today's finish was that I found out the correct way of saying Hodeg. Not Hod-egg or Hoe-deg, but what sounded like Hotch or even Hodge, which got me thinking, is he a descendant of a Brit (a miner?) who went over to Colombia in the 19th century? Fast forward a few generations and Hodge has been misspelt at some point over the years, but retains the original pronunciation.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6918
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #44 on: February 08, 2018, 20:18 »
    The only interesting thing from today's finish was that I found out the correct way of saying Hodeg. Not Hod-egg or Hoe-deg, but what sounded like Hotch or even Hodge
    :o
    When you look at the way(s) Colombians (and other Latin Americans) spell Brian, Stephen, Jonathan etc., nothing would surprise me.

Also: We need (more) teams to make recordings of their riders pronouncing their own names!
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #45 on: February 08, 2018, 22:02 »
    So far true  :D

tomorrow as well?

• ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1448
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #46 on: February 08, 2018, 22:43 »
    :o
    When you look at the way(s) Colombians (and other Latin Americans) spell Brian, Stephen, Jonathan etc., nothing would surprise me.

Also: We need (more) teams to make recordings of their riders pronouncing their own names!

We have Rob Hatch for that.

And Ben Airman.

But I don’t know why he doesn’t say Moykle Maaathews gobber.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1440
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #47 on: February 09, 2018, 01:53 »
    GA-VIR-IA, GA-VIR-IA!

Yup. Should be an interesting season this year. Is Gaviria penciled in for the Giro, or TdF?

I was surprised to see that it is softer than the average Tour of Norway on the stage profiles. I thought these columbians only practiced on 90 degree slopes!

Yeah! I was a bit surprised at the myself. It's a Columbian stage race! so WTF is up with the profile! Well, maybe that final climb on the last day is more than it looks like on the profile.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1448
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #48 on: February 09, 2018, 08:27 »
    GA-VIR-IA, GA-VIR-IA!

Yup. Should be an interesting season this year. Is Gaviria penciled in for the Giro, or TdF?

Yeah! I was a bit surprised at the myself. It's a Columbian stage race! so WTF is up with the profile! Well, maybe that final climb on the last day is more than it looks like on the profile.

Gaviria is riding the Tour as well as all the Classics including PR and RVV.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #50 on: February 10, 2018, 20:13 »
    https://twitter.com/CiclismoaTope12/status/962409610853437441

The organizers couldn't have scripted it better if they tried.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 18:53 »
    https://twitter.com/BrainOnWheels/status/962763798644953090

A rather chaotic finale, but entertaining nonetheless. The sudden appearance of the, till then invisible, remainder of the break had me scratching my head for a bit. The teams weren't too sure what was happening either as some riders reported radios not working.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11272
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    couldn't find an Innsbruck 2018 thread...

George Bennett calls for support ahead of 2018 Road World Championships

[...]

because the course is unlikely to suit any of the country's other leading World Tour professionals, who may not even finish, Cycling New Zealand is weighing up whether to send Bennett on his own.

[...]

"I really hope that's not the case because if that's the attitude these guys don't really understand the role of domestiques in cycling. I need team-mates, it doesn't matter if they finish or not. You need guys who can do the first 150km and keep me out of trouble, otherwise we have the same situation as Rio where you just can't do anything," Bennett said.

"If they actually believe in me slightly then they need to support me. It's all well and good to jump on the bandwagon when I do well but they need to show some support and send a team and it needs to our strongest team and not with an eye on worrying whether they are going to get around the course or not because that's irrelevant.

"At the end of the day it's just the result of the best rider and these guys will go there to help, and it's the same on a different course where I'd go to help if it suited their strengths better."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-newspapers/central-north-island/sport/sport-region-6459/101723485/George-Bennett-calls-for-support-ahead-of-2018-Road-World-Championships
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4204
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    Another win for #polartec's Matteo Moschetti yesterday, in GP Rhodes *gr , 3 wins in little over a week :cool

• ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

t-72

• Road Captain
    Uno-x development team #unox have upped their game for this season, and it seems to work already  :cool
    Win for Syver Wærsted in final stage of Tour of Rhodes.

Edit: the above results was to show the stage.... but procyclingstats shows the GC winner instead.  :angry

Edit LukasCPH: PCS have really fliped up their embedding-of-last-stage-of-a-stage-race somehow, God knows how (or why). Here is the stage 3 result:
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:21 by LukasCPH »

t-72

• Road Captain
    Team Coop #coop takes home Istrian Spring Trophy - winner:  Krister Hagen - could this finally be his year? He has been one of the stronger Norwegian conti riders for years, but maybe not quite getting the competition results to prove it. Now he's on a different track, can he keep going?

I actually think these results leaves #joker Team joker as the only *no conti team without a victory so far this season. How times have changed.  :o
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org

Saw the winning move before the feed died. Verona hitched himself to the pocket rocket but he had no hope beyond just hanging out. Valverde is on his own planet right now. Calmejane tried to chase but ran out of gas. Good result for the young Aussie Schultz.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    A couple of French races from last weekend:

Yes, folks, the Swiss champ is back and looking strong already here (1st and 10th). At #bmc Dillier had fewer opportunities to do the typical, mouvementé style of French racing which totally suits him, so it's no surprise that he will have enjoyed these races.

And another result for fastman Marc Sarreau, who is now responsible for three of the five wins at #fdj in 2018. At 24, he still has plenty of room to improve his performance on the bike and, hopefully, in interviews:

"I've had a good start to the season, I'm happy with it. But since the E3 I've struggled to get sharper again. I'm almost done for now. I rode a lot early on this year, so I'm starting to get tired now ... Later this season, I'll be riding for Arnaud Démare. [And] the objective is to deliver these results at a higher level."

https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/65132/marc-sarreau-juste-a-terminer-le-travail (FR)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    It's the Brabantse Pijl today and for me it brings back those golden days when I was on sabbatical, living nearby and riding on some part of the parcours most days.  :cool

This is a 201km jaunt across Brabant, from Leuven in the east down to the Walloon half of the old seat and back again, finishing with the tough circuit around the Druivenstreek, the grape growing district of Overijse. And in case you were wondering, it's greenhouses only, folks, no vineyards. For those you have to go over to the Hageland, where the women were racing at the end of Feb. :-x

But I digress. The field is decent (7 WT teams represented), with a sort of transitional mix of Classics all-rounders winding down together with Ardennes specialists looking to get an early start line up in Leuven.

In recent years there has been a reduced sprint, won last year by Colbrelli of #bahrain (who returns) and in 2016 by Matthews (who doesn't) but guys like #lotto duo Benoot and Wellens will prefer to break it up. They will perhaps find allies in Teuns #bmc, Jungels #quickstep and the probably underraced Barguil #fortuneo, while Coquard #vital, Impey #mitchelton and Boasson Hagen #didata may want to keep things together.

Also look out for Taaramae taking on leadership of #direct, recent Volta Limburg winner Tratnik of #ccc, the Odd Viking #wanty if he's still strong and the French fastment Jules #wallonie and Boudat if it comes to a sprint.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:38 by L'arri »

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    It's the Brabantse Pijl today and for me it brings back those golden days when I was on sabbatical, living nearby and riding on some part of the parcours most days.  :cool

This is a 201km jaunt across Brabant, from Leuven in the east down to the Walloon half of the old seat and back again, finishing with the tough circuit around the Druivenstreek, the grape growing district of Overijse. And in case you were wondering, it's greenhouses only, folks, no vineyards. For those you have to go over to the Hageland, where the women were racing at the end of Feb. :-x

But I digress. The field is decent (7 WT teams represented), with a sort of transitional mix of Classics all-rounders winding down together with Ardennes specialists looking to get an early start line up in Leuven.

In recent years there has been a reduced sprint, won last year by Colbrelli of #bahrain (who returns) and in 2016 by Matthews (who doesn't) but guys like #lotto duo Benoot and Wellens will prefer to break it up. They will perhaps find allies in Teuns #bmc, Jungels #quickstep and the probably underraced Barguil #fortuneo, while Coquard #vital, Impey #mitchelton and Boasson Hagen #didata may want to keep things together.

Also look out for Taaramae taking on leadership of #direct, recent Volta Limburg winner Tratnik of #ccc, the Odd Viking #wanty if he's still strong and the French fastment Jules #wallonie and Boudat if it comes to a sprint.

A scattergun approach to picking favourites (6 out of the eventual top 10) often yields a good outcome but few will offer much kudos if one of the names takes the prize, especially in the case of Tim Wellens, whose irresistible late attack had "solo win" written all over it from the moment he got out of the saddle.

And yet, apart from #lotto, the other team dominating the race was #bahrain, which had just as many if not more reasons to expect a win in Overijse. Gasparotto's hesitation in chasing was critical to Wellens' success because, as in last year's edition, the heavier Colbrelli had suffered on the climbs but so far managed to get back on every time.

You cannot fault the least elegant of Italians for trying and Colbrelli's second place was nothing if not deserved. He is a real battler and should feature again on Sunday, where he will probably endure the same death by hills all over again as a backup solution for Nibali, Gasparotto and the Izagirre brothers.

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Recent Posts

Re: Full Mens Rosters 2019 by LukasCPH
    [October 18, 2018, 21:34]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2018-19 by LukasCPH
    [October 18, 2018, 21:28]

Re: Full Mens Rosters 2019 by Leadbelly
    [October 18, 2018, 20:23]