Road Races > Smaller Race Results and Discussion 2018
collapse

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2185
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
Tro-Bro Léon 2018 (1.1)

Lannilis  ›  Lannilis   (203.2k)

Yes, once again it's time for the other Sunday in Hell race.
The one that seems happy to sit sleepily in the shadow of it's bigger brothers and sisters.
A kind of rouler's rural retreat, with it's eccentric parcour and prizes to match.
Hardly surprising since Tro-Bro (Breton for Tour of Leon) sprung from the mad mind of Jean Paul Mellouet, a cartoonist and amateur cyclist, who dreamed................................small.
Sometimes referred to as “Le Petit Paris-Roubaix” and “The Hell of the West,” the Tro Bro's "unusual" parcour still gets the odd tweak from Mellouet, who is constantly on the look out for new ribinou section to add to the mix.

Mellouet is also responsible for the incredible poster artwork, that promote the race; all of which can be viewed here:

https://www.trobroleon.com/historique

Each year now refers to the previous winner. Hence, this year, we have:

Unfortunately, maps and wotnot are less prominent, but here is what we have:

Like Paris-Roubaix, the race is often anarchic. In 2014, there were 56 finishers. In 2015, there were 32. In 2016 and 2017 there were 64.  Last year, Damien Gaudin and Frederik Backaert escaped with about 40 km to go and held off the pack, mainly by the work of the eventual winner, Gaudin.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2365
    Rasmus Tiller   #champno #joker almost made my day!

Awsome race, like Strade Bianche is just a copy!  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6487
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Laporte again, right before he takes a break. The young sprinter said:

"There were 15 of us out front and there was no way we could have gone to the finish as a group. So you had to go first. The best means of defence is attack. I also had Hugo Hofstetter in that group, so I told myself 'I'll go full gas and if it doesn't work out, we've still got Hugo'. It paid off.

I had to make a big effort to catch up with Damien Gaudin [who counterattacked from the leading bunch to reach the breakaway] ... I really paid for that but I could hide at the back then wait for the last circuit to go again. That's what I did.

If I hadn't won today, I would have said [my Spring campaign was] only decent, even with three wins in hand. My favourite race is Paris-Roubaix. I got sick in that week and I wasn't 100% on the start line. Today, I was all-in. I had the anger. I wanted to give it all before going on holiday. So that's a good end to my first part of the season. I'm really happy. It's a nice race with a big reputation."

https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/65480/christophe-laporte-j-avais-la-rage (FR)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6327
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Tour of the Gila 18th - 22nd April

Stage 1 MOGOLLON ROAD RACE (148km)

The proper finish returns after last year's flood damage. "Pronunciation hint: Most longtime locals say Mogollon as mug-ee-own".

Stage 2 INNER LOOP ROAD RACE (120.7km)

Stage 3 TYRONE TT (26km)

Stage 4 DOWNTOWN SILVER CITY CRITERIUM (69.5km)

40 laps.

Stage 5 GILA MONSTER ROAD RACE (161.9km)

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    christophe-laporte-j-avais-la-rage

"I had rabies".
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    "I had rabies".

Brilliant and true. :D That is very hard to translate. "Fire in the belly" is too parochial and possibly hyperbolic, while "anger" and literal "rage" are both probably misplaced. He was not "angry" as such, it was just that he didn't get to ride PR in his best shape and he wanted to go all-in before his holiday. Perhaps it has to do with the traditional view of anger as a negative emotion but it isn't easy to find the right tone with that.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Tour of Croatia

Not quite the field of last year (no Nibs) but decent TV coverage and a rare opportunity to see an all-Colombian team, Dark Sider Matteo Rabottini and young talent Ziga Jerman among the bigs. And two MTFs.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Tour of the Gila 18th - 22nd April

Almost completely unaware of this race back in 2014, I happened to be roadtripping through the region and found myself behind the race convoy on the final "Gila Monster" stage. I think I must have driven 50km like that and it was a very tough finale. One guy was right at the back but held on to the finish and I don't think he was even OTL'd.

EDIT: Nope, he was OTL'd.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10834
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Tour of Croatia

Not quite the field of last year (no Nibs) but decent TV coverage and a rare opportunity to see an all-Colombian team, Dark Sider Matteo Rabottini and young talent Ziga Jerman among the bigs. And two MTFs.

yeah, not quite what you would expect from a race just upgraded to 2.HC

The sprint field is okay'ish at least. Bonifazio took stage 1 after elbowing Guardini out of the way

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6795
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    yeah, not quite what you would expect from a race just upgraded to 2.HC
    Huh.
    Last I checked[1], a 2.HC race may only invite two foreign Conti teams. This race has four:
    *si Ljubljana Gusto Xaurum, *ro MsTina-Focus, *si Adria Mobil, and *co Bicicletas Strongman Colombia Coldeportes (plus *hr Meridiana Kamen who are from Croatia).

I guess some[2] UCI rules aren't even worth the paper they're written on. :shh
     1. and I just checked again to make sure
     2. only some?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    I asked Tony Moan. Two foreign conti teams, and three from Yugoslavia. No problemo
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    https://twitter.com/velonews/status/986286710005776384

I thought it was Horner who helped out a bit financially the last year or so. I could be wrong.

https://twitter.com/Cyclingnewsfeed/status/986309530962325504

Haven't checked it out due to CN's new ad blocker measures.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    https://twitter.com/TouroftheGila/status/986623696730112000

I'm unable to find a start list that I trust, but one late team entrant is Costa Rica.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    VR favourite gets a win and takes over the lead after an eventful day in which high winds caused a temporary neutralisation:

Is the lad worth a shot on a bigger team?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 18:35 by LukasCPH »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

search

• World Champion
    Is the lad worth a shot on a bigger team?

I like Edu, but I can't really see it tbh. Maybe UAE, if they still need a sprinter for the smaller races
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

I liked it when someone threw a bottle at Astrid. :lol

Anyway a big gap for the front two. Mannion, Villalobos and Murphy(?) lost a fair bit of time in the last few km.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    in Croatia today we will (for the first time) get to see the beautiful Sveti Jure climb

Should be fun to watch. No idea who'll win though. On the CN forum there seems to be a lot of hype for Pogacar
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    That was too big to succeed.

https://twitter.com/TouroftheGila/status/987011173781356544

New smaller group is Janier Acevedo, Daniel Jaramillo, Christopher Blevins, Cormac Mcgeough and Cullen Easter.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2185
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Wow!
    Crazy Croatia and that eternal climb on roads from the turn of the Century? (that's 19th to 20th)
    This year, we get the full Monty. It took so long I had to go back and check: one hour and fifteen minutes for the winner, Konstantin Siutsou.
    Last man home took exactly two hours!
    Ended on little more than a goat track, atop a knife edge of rock, with sheer drops to match.
    Best of all we had Siutsou and Weening doing track stands, a la Contador and Schleck, inside the final 1.5kms. :D
    MotM: Nik Eg.Pulled the whole train for close to an hour and still finished 5th.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    yeah, this was great to watch indeed. Too bad they got rid of the ~100k TTT :D
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6795
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I like Edu, but I can't really see it tbh. Maybe UAE, if they still need a sprinter for the smaller races
    I'm inclined to agree.
    He's very good for those 2.1 races, sometimes even 2.HC, but has a hard times finding success in a WT race. And it doesn't help that he's from Romania; an Italian or Belgian sprinter of the same level may find it easier to get a WT contract.

All in all, I think he's better off winning the odd race on this level than placing somewhere between 8th and 21st in WT sprints. Maybe not financially (no idea what #nippo pay him, and how that would compare to a WT team), but overall, in terms of work-life balance etc.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    https://twitter.com/TouroftheGila/status/987040739958784000

They held on, but not with enough of a gap to take the lead.

TT tomorrow.
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 124
    I'm inclined to agree.
    He's very good for those 2.1 races, sometimes even 2.HC, but has a hard times finding success in a WT race. And it doesn't help that he's from Romania; an Italian or Belgian sprinter of the same level may find it easier to get a WT contract.

All in all, I think he's better off winning the odd race on this level than placing somewhere between 8th and 21st in WT sprints. Maybe not financially (no idea what #nippo pay him, and how that would compare to a WT team), but overall, in terms of work-life balance etc.

Yes, he seemed talented but didn't really improve the last 2 or 3 years. Of course you'll never know if a WT team could better further his talents but he seems to gell well with Nippo.

Great racing from Pogacar, Pearson and especially Eg in Croatia.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2365
    Can I continue my yearly bashing of #fortuneo now?  :angel
    It is not so much about Fortuneo....but the fact that #joker is racing at a lower level, develops ridersbetter  and beats #fortuneo regulary in races.
    BIG CONGRATULATIONS to #joker CF Hagen for winning the Tour du Jura.
    (the irony and the tragedy is, now the best climber from Joker in recent years, Sindre Lunke,  is racing for..... #fortuneo  :TT ...how many more riders will they destroy?)

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    well, almost :D

short highlights are available here

All stages are also covert live on the same channel. Mountain top finish today:

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 13:19 by search »

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events

Recent Posts