Road Races > Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana
collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 10842
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana
« on: January 29, 2018, 10:45 »
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana

After its reintroduction in 2016, for the third time in a row the season of Spanish stage racing starts in Valencia:

Stage 1 - Oropesa El Mar › Peñiscola (191.4k)

Stage 2 - Bétera › Albuixech (153.9k)

Stage 3 (TTT) - Benitatxell › Calpe (30.5k)

Stage 4 - Orihuela › Cocentaina (181k)

Stage 5 - Paterna › Valencia (135k)

~pdf roadbook

The mountain top finish in Cateras de Cocentaina is likely to decide the race... and it's quite a cracker:

I haven't found confirmation about the length of the TTT though. On the profile on the official website it has ~23k while it's displayed with ~30k in the roadbook.

Participating Teams:
  • #movistar MOVISTAR
  • #sky TEAM SKY
  • #katusha KATUSHA ALPECIN
  • #bmc BMC
  • #jumbo LOTTO JUMBO
  • #bahrain BAHRAIN MERIDA
  • #orica MITCHELTON
  • #ef EF DRAPAC
  • #ag2r AG2R
  • #astana ASTANA
  • #dimension DIMENSION DATA
  • #ccc TEAM CCC
  • #cofidis COFIDIS
  • #gazprom GAZPROM
  • #topsport VLANDEREN
  • #academy ISRAEL ACADEMY
  • #direct DIRECT ENERGIE
  • #rally RALLY
  • #cajarural CAJA RURAL
  • #murias EUSKADI MURIAS
  • #burgos BURGOS BH
  • #fantini VINI FANTINI
  • #euskadi EUSKADI
  • #polartec POLARTEC KOMETA
  • #inteja INTEJA
provisional startlist: https://www.vueltacv.com/equipos

#movistar Valverde is around, so he is probably the favorite. With Kwiatkowski, Poels, Roglic, Fuglsang, the Yates brothers, Vuillermoz, Hermans and so on, he has some strong competition though.

All stages are live on Eurosport around ~15:00 cet
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 11:16 »
    apparently the TTT has been shortened to 23k indeed. With so many poor teams, it's probably the right decision - not that it will help #inteja Paco Mancebo or #cajarural Danilo Celano to stay in striking distance though, I'm afraid :P
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6329
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 18:32 »
    The mountain top finish in Cateras de Cocentaina is likely to decide the race... and it's quite a cracker:

I was wondering what the big JCB diggers were doing on the climb, but mina is mine in English, so mystery solved.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2374
    « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 22:38 »
    The race will be stopped at the time the first man arrives at Mina 4, where they dig out some gold for him?
    The riders in Mina 3 at that point will then get silver ... and so on!  :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:54 »
    ~pdf Final Startlist

Today we should get a sprint. Tomorrow as well maybe. Not too many sprinters of note around though...

#orica Albasini & Trentin
    #ef McLay & Modolo
    #katusha Planckaert
    #jumbo van Poppel
    #gazprom Porsev
    #ccc Kump

T-72 may add #academy Enger later on I guess :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6490
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 14:09 »
    Today we should get a sprint. Tomorrow as well maybe. Not too many sprinters of note around though...

Agree. Good opportunity to get a win or two for these guys. First couple of days are often windy though, tail end of the Mistral period, so there could be a big split.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 15:20 »
    well, and two of those I mentioned made it into the Top 10 at least :D. Relatively easy win for DvP, although he completely mistimed his sprint and went way too early

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2186
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 16:58 »
     A couple of crashes in the run in.
    I am assume that EDF took out their own man in Modolo?
    Can't make head nor tail of the results as they currently stand on PCS....
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 22:16 »
    I think these results looks readable and makes sense now, so I post them *contador duty*

By the way, I nominate this for "most stereotypic spanish sprint stage of the year" - even if it is the first one:
    • wide road
    • straight road
    • flat plains
    • tv-break
    • twists and turns into town
    • medium technical finish

It ticks almost all boxes, doesn't it?[1]

Lotto-Jumbo wanted it and won it. The above description of the course would fit anywhere in *nl as well so they were on remote home turf!

As for #academy Enger (since the audience demands it) - they failed on positioning,  priori to the last curve, he was locked on the inside and couldn't really break out for a sprint.  I don't think there was much help for Sondre but to be fair most of the team's trains had been broken into individual carriages by then.

Positive performance by #cofidis Hofstaetter - I think that was the only decent leadout I saw, apart from the awesome #jumbo train - but van Poppel popped himself off the front, didn't he?

#noreplay so disclaimer regarding the high level of detail there.
     1. (Except Rojas in 3rd but he kinda stopped trying)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 07:29 »
    As for #academy Enger (since the audience demands it)

He and Van Winden crashed with 6km to go. Nothing too serious, but Dennis was going to be his leadout and the others probably burnt their matches helping their sprinter either back to the peloton or through it towards the front. As SHE said "sh*t happens, looking forward for the next stages".
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 08:33 »
    today's stage is pretty similar to the one in the Vuelta last year...

(via @LasterketaBurua)

...but with the final climb a bit closer to the finish (~30k instead of ~36). And Puerte del Garbí is certainly not an easy one:

It was the day Contador attacked, Betancur crashed, and Marczynski won from the break:

So it was pretty spectacular. More of the same would be very welcome :)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 22:05 »
    I just watched today's stage and - what a finale, I didn't expect to see this type of racing until the flemish cobbles. #astana Jakob Fuglsang attacked over the top of the steepest part El Garbi like it was the Paterberg, #movistar Valverde followed and from out of nowehere came LL Sanchez to join them on the descent. Followed by 30 km high-speed chase in false flat downhill to really flat plains along oranges, oranges and more oranges. Team Sky chasing behind couldn't catch them. Joined by BMC - couldn't catch them! up came Lotto - still couldn't make it.

In the end, Fuglsang knew he just had to lead out and Sanchez half-heartedly tried to follow Valverde to his first win of the season. The man with the completely flat form curve is back, in style, winning like Kristoff beating Terpstra in RVV.

Unexpectedly good early season racing!  :cool

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 13:03 »
    start times for the TTT today:

apparently conditions are pretty bad though, windy, and a lot of rain. Kwiatkowski already called for a neutralization:

https://twitter.com/kwiato/status/959393803827400709
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2186
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 14:24 »
    Wtf? How can you neutralise a TTT because it is dangerous, yet NOT just cancel the flipping thing? :S

Game, set match Valverde.

Nice Etoile stage instead....
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1599
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 16:50 »
    Wtf? How can you neutralise a TTT because it is dangerous, yet NOT just cancel the flipping thing? :S

Game, set match Valverde.

Nice Etoile stage instead....

I thought that too. Though as it turned out, conditions had improved a lot before the start. Real mish mash of team tactics (and TT outfits). BMC accomplished their target of a win. Ag2r and CCC went for it. Sky rolled round without a care in the world. Movistar were a little faster. Astana puzzled me greatly. They really gave it a good dig, catching Sky on the line
    https://instagram.com/p/BesuaELhtz-/

Either they wanted the TTT tryout or they're super confident about tomorrow Possibly both

Top marks for the FULLPOLKAPOX skinsuit styled by  #euskadi 's Bravo

https://twitter.com/MuriasTeam/status/959419273629388800

and to think this was once the preserve of Pierre Rolland

how times have changed ;p
    https://instagram.com/p/Bes0_hxhj_N/
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6795
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 12:00 »
    Oh my, Velon shot a five-second video of the peloton rolling out of the start town!
    This has convinced me, a big company, to put all my sponsorship funds in cycling as it is such a modern, edge-of-technology sport that can only go from strength to strength!
    :P

Good grief.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 13:37 by LukasCPH »
    Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 13:08 »
    Dude, if you watch it, it loops, so it can last for a lot more than just 5 seconds!
    The peloton even looks bigger that way  :)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events