collapse

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1660
Font size issues
« on: January 30, 2018, 20:02 »
Hi, when using firefox (mostly on linux systems) I get very small fonts on velorooms.com. To my eyes it is approx a font 6 like would appear in the exponent of a number like 105. I giess there aren't many having these issues so I should probably find my own way around it. However, it appears to be almost uncontrollable.
Using page zoom buttons, I need to zoom in to 133% before I get a font size I am happy with. However, then everything else is blown up so oversize the page is not even close to fitting on my screen and I loose overview.
I have tried to turn up default font size in the browser settings (I use oxygen size 10 normally), but it doesn't seem to work on these fonts, so I guess it is protected via a style sheet or something (neither html or phpbb proficient...)
Suggestions welcome, except "use internet explorer", "use chrome" etc.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5833
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Re: Font size issues
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 10:56 »
    Hi, when using firefox (mostly on linux systems) I get very small fonts on velorooms.com. To my eyes it is approx a font 6 like would appear in the exponent of a number like 105. I giess there aren't many having these issues so I should probably find my own way around it. However, it appears to be almost uncontrollable.
    Using page zoom buttons, I need to zoom in to 133% before I get a font size I am happy with. However, then everything else is blown up so oversize the page is not even close to fitting on my screen and I loose overview.
    I have tried to turn up default font size in the browser settings (I use oxygen size 10 normally), but it doesn't seem to work on these fonts, so I guess it is protected via a style sheet or something (neither html or phpbb proficient...)
    Suggestions welcome, except "use internet explorer", "use chrome" etc.

What version is your browser? I've just tried VR on FF vv. 52, 56 and 58 (latest) and it all looks normal to me. Zooming text size is stored site-by-site for FF so maybe try Ctrl+0 (or Linux equivalent) just to make sure the default setting is as prescribed by the website.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9701
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 10:59 »
    I have never had any issues in that regard with Firefox (Nightly) either
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 881
    « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 12:22 »
    Odd. I'm not able to replicate it either.

When you say that you are trying to adjust the font-size through firefox own browser zoom and find it uncontrollable, I am wondering if you are already overriding something locally, as the site's style-sheet has not got any special protections.

What version of FF are you running? Do you have any Firefox style override add-ons installed T-72? I assume you are not viewing the site through Tapatalk (on a mobile)?

Can you make sure that Firefox zoom level for the site is set to 100% and post or pm me a screen shot?
    View > Zoom > Reset

[only if you know what I am talking about:]
    Can you (whilst watching this page) hit F12, click the Element Picker on the far left of the pop-up top menu-bar (rectangle with arrow), hover over this text, left-click, see how it jumps to a part in the html and highlights it in blue, then select the <div class=post> line that (probably) sits right above it, then move your attention to the pane on the right of it, spot the 'Rules' with its blue line in the menu-bar on top of that  pane, click on 'Computed' which is to the right of it, scroll down to the bit where it shows a lot of font-yadada declarations, click on the arrow before font-size, then take and post that  screenshot too?
    [if all that made no sense, as I said, just ignore it]

If it is just for velorooms and 'just your pc', there are ways for you to adjust the style-sheet for velorooms via add-ons like
    Stylish ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/stylish/ )

If we can't pin down what is causing the issue (and it isn't a global problem but affecting only highly specific set-ups somewhere overseeing godforsaken Norwegian Fjords), I can give you a hand setting that up. It sounds like a pain now, and that ain't right.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 22:58 »
    I have noted that firefox saves zoom per page somewhere, but that doesn't explain everything although sometimes I make that mistake.

To show how the world looks with my browser (firefox 57 on kubuntu linux):
    Here are some screenshots I have made for comparison .... all should be zoomed to 100%

velorooms when I write a reply: In todays's studies I  have noticed that this is when I get the smaller font on velorooms
    procycling.no etoile de besseges report
    nrk reporting that the american press is clueless about xc skiing

composite of the 3 examples shown below:  - VR fonts are smaller than the other pages, but it is less dramatic than I claimed yesterday.
    My eyesight is not perfect and on a good day this can pass when wearing glasses but on a bad day I need a magnifier even then.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6381
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 00:53 »
    nrk reporting that the american press is clueless about xc skiing
    Completely off-topic, but the American press is right. Cross-country skiing is not particularly exciting. :P
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 881
    « Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:43 »
    For default text, this is how the 3 sites look at my end.

velorooms clocks in at 14.4, procycling.no at 15 and nrk.no at 16 with better line-spacing too.

The Velorooms set-up theme sheet is made for a different era, it is cramming in as much text where it can, and it is also blissfully unaware of mobile viewports.

Its font-defaults are pretty mean by today's standards. Unfortunately the forum backbone is not the cleanest to style properly either, so you get some crazy interwoven stacking at times, and a wee tweak can have a knock-on effect in areas where you did not suspect it. Hope to gut it one day, but real life has not stopped throwing some wicked curve balls of late.

You finger the text input boxes in particular. They do indeed go towards the ant-size end of small (11 px or even less in places).

Font-sizes, etc, were already top of the list of a bigger overhaul, but that requires some serious development time I have not got spare right now, alas.

In the meantime, with your and mine eye-sight in mind, I tweaked the css for most of the smaller font-size iterations a bit, hope it is a change without breaking other parts of the site.

Whilst I was in the css, fixed the way long forum thread titles were overlapping the poster info on the home page too.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 03:38 by Francois the Postman »

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 10:09 »
    I don't think that Linux comes with Verdana, for licensing reasons, so we can see that here it is substituted for something else.

I use a Mac where Verdana is available and of course it is a standard Windows font. It's been quite a long time since I used any flavour of Linux, so I can't be sure now what the default sans-serif font would be. Probably it's "Deja Vu".

I'd be willing to bet that it has to do with how that default font looks at a particular size. Sometimes you get odd little rendering quirks where a particular increment comes out smaller or bigger than you'd like.

I'd also be willing to bet that, if we forced a different font in the style rule that Linux could support, it would look better. Since you've shared your Linux flavour, I can do some research and take a look at what else we could try.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 21:55 »
    Guys, you are most helpful and I am very thankful for that but I also hope that if it is only me having these issues you don't plan for a week's effort to fix it.

In that case, some bits of understanding that can help me fix it locally would be more than adequate.

Would it be possible for me to override the style settings (ie use another font that makes it easier to read) for velorooms.com only?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 11:50 »
    Guys, you are most helpful and I am very thankful for that but I also hope that if it is only me having these issues you don't plan for a week's effort to fix it.

In that case, some bits of understanding that can help me fix it locally would be more than adequate.

Would it be possible for me to override the style settings (ie use another font that makes it easier to read) for velorooms.com only?

I tested my theory that the "DejaVu Sans" font used by default in FF for Ubuntu is the probable cause and it does seem to be a whole lot smaller than comparable fonts at the same size.

There are two things you can do, as I see it.

Either you can install the MS fonts package which includes Verdana:

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/how-to-install-microsoft-fonts-in-ubuntu-linux

Or, if that is unpalatable, you can just increase the default size for VR using the Stylish addon mentioned by FtP upthread or by following these instructions:

https://superuser.com/questions/318912/how-to-override-the-css-of-a-site-in-firefox-with-usercontent-css

Changing the content specified in Step 5 of the link above as follows:

If you want to increment the whole VR site (play around with the % value until happy, default is 90%):

Code: [Select]
    @-moz-document domain(velorooms.com) {
        body { font-size: 100% !important; }
    }

If you want to increment the post reply editor only (play around with the % values until happy, default is 100%/110% in the format size of font/space between lines of text):

Code: [Select]
    @-moz-document domain(velorooms.com) {
        textarea.editor { font: 100%/110% verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif !important; }
    }

Note that these are changes to the size of the text only. If you want to swap the font instead, let us know.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:44 by L'arri »

Recent Posts

Re: [2.2] Tour of Antalya by LukasCPH
    [February 22, 2018, 22:24]

Re: 73rd Omloop Het Nieuwsblad by Joelsim
    [February 22, 2018, 21:21]

Re: 73rd Omloop Het Nieuwsblad by DJW
    [February 22, 2018, 21:12]

Re: [2.2] Tour of Antalya by Leadbelly
    [February 22, 2018, 20:49]

Re: Classic de l'Ardèche & Royal Bernard Drôme Classic by Leadbelly