search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 11321
  • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Dubai Tour
« on: February 03, 2018, 13:31 »
Dubai Tour[1]

In less than a week the Dubai Tour will celebrate its fifth birthday with a new schedule in the international calendar - from 6 to 10 February. The formula will be the same as last year: five stages totaling 851km and six Emirates included in the route. The stages are as follows:

1 - NAKHEEL STAGE (167km) - Tuesday, 6th February
On the first day the route will take the riders through some of the city’s most ambitious construction projects: Motor City (residential community area), the Global Village (the region's first cultural, entertainment, family and shopping destination) and the Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Sport Complex, a modern-multi-purpose sports arena with a capacity of 15,000 spectators. Then there are the Al Qudra bike path, well known by the riders because is where the teams usually do their final preparations and close to Al Maktoum International Airport, the peloton will pass next to Dubai South, where the Dubai Expo will held in 2020. After the 4.38 sq km of world fair’s site, some Dubai landmarks such as the commercial port and business hub of Jebel Ali, Jumeirah Islands and finally, Palm Jumeirah – which will host the now well established sprint in front of the Atlantis “door.”

2 - RAS AL KHAIMAH STAGE (190km) - Wednesday, 7th February
The following day, the stage sees the peloton ride through four different Emirates: Sharjah, Ajman, Umm al-Quwain and Ras Al Khaimah. During the first part the peloton will ride through the Dubai Design District. Then, on a flat route near the coast we discover Ajman and the Umm al-Quwain territory, famous both as archaeological site and for the amazing islands that lie to the east of the mainland peninsula. After 190km we expect to see another sprint on the Al Quawasim Corniche Road.

3 - FUJAIRAH STAGE (190km) - Thursday, 8th February
This stage, from Dubai to Fujairah is similar to 2016’s opening stage, won by Marcel Kittel after a compelling sprint. In 2018, however, the peloton will not ride directly to Fujairah, passing first through the town of Kalba (Sharjah’s exclave), where there is an Intermediate sprint. Then, on a flat route that overlooks the Indian Ocean, we reach the finish on the Fujairah’s Corniche Road.

4 - DUBAI MUNICIPALITY STAGE (172km) - Friday, 9th February
It’s exactly the same stage that last year was cancelled due to bad weather; a route through the deserts of Dubai, Sharjah and Ras Al Khaimah, to reach Hatta Dam. Before the dam there are two climbs up to a 11% gradient, then the finale to the dam itself with a short stretch of about 200 meters featuring an inclination from 12% to 17%. This iconic stage, normally celebrated for the beautiful landscape and usually won by a puncheur, is not usually crucial in deciding the general classification.

5 - MERAAS STAGE (132km) - Saturday, 10th February
The last day is a spectacular parade entirely in the city of Dubai. Along the way the peloton will celebrate Dubai’s best loved monuments and landmarks: the astonishing Meydan Racecourse, home of the world’s richest horse race (Dubai World Cup), then the family-oriented Mushrif Park, Al Mamzar, the historical Deira, the famous Port Rashid, and the iconic Union Flag. Just like last year the grand finale is set to take place in Al Mustaqbal Street at the City Walk district with the fascinating Dubai skyline as a backdrop.

Nine UCI WorldTour Teams, five UCI Professional Continental Teams, one UCI Continental Team and the UAE National Team will be at the start of the five-stage professional cycling race organised by the Dubai Sports Council in collaboration with RCS Sport. Each team will consist of seven riders.
  • #astana ASTANA PRO TEAM – KAZ
  • #bahrain BAHRAIN-MERIDA – BRN
  • #bmc BMC RACING TEAM – USA
  • #quickstep QUICK-STEP FLOORS – BEL
  • #dimension TEAM DIMENSION DATA – RSA
  • #katusha TEAM KATUSHA ALPECIN – SUI
  • #jumbo TEAM LOTTO NL-JUMBO – NED
  • #trek TREK-SEGAFREDO – USA
  • #uae UAE TEAM EMIRATES – UAE
  • #aquablue AQUA BLUE SPORT – IRL
  • #cofidis COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS – FRA
  • #rally RALLY CYCLING – USA
  • #novonordisk TEAM NOVO NORDISK – USA
  • #wilier WILIER TRIESTINA - SELLE ITALIA – ITA
  • #mtu MITCHELTON-BIKEEXCHANGE – CHN
  • #teamuae UAE National Team – UAE
The entry list features top class sprinters including back-to-back Dubai winner with a record eight stage wins in three editions, the German Marcel Kittel; the Manxman Mark Cavendish (Dubai Tour winner in 2015), the Italians Elia Viviani and Giacomo Nizzolo, the Frenchman Nacer Bouhanni, the Dutchman Dylan Groenewegen (who stood on the Dubai Tour podium every day last year and finished third in the General Classification) and the Norwegian Alexander Kristoff (2017 European Road Champion). Then comes the puncheur John Degenkolb (Germany) and the all-rounders Nicolas Roche (Ireland) and Vincenzo Nibali (Italy).
 1. source of all text: RCS press release
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 15:10 by search »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Dubai Tour
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 13:34 »
    so, same same as usual, let's hope the hill top finish will not be cancelled again. Parts of the race seem to be live on Eurosport

By the way... sending out the invitation mail to #mtu instead of #mitchelton must have happened by mistake, I guess?! :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6941
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 13:43 »
    *uae UAE National Team – UAE
    We do have a #teamae kit smiley for them, you know. :P

By the way... sending out the invitation mail to #mtu instead of #mitchelton must have happened by mistake, I guess?! :D
    Maybe so ... but finally we'll see those *cn riders of theirs in a high-profile race!
    I can't wait.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 13:45 »
    I tried #teamuae, didn't work, couldn't do any more :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 15:07 »
    I tried #teamuae, didn't work, couldn't do any more :D
    It's right there on the "National teams" tab, you lazy bugger! :angry

;)
    Added #teamuae smiley now.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 15:32 by LukasCPH »

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:23 »
    2018 Dubai Tour TV coverage and schedule

in short:
    - stage 1-2 live on Eurosport 2, all others delayed
    - stages 1-4 live on Rai Sport
    - all stages live on l'Equipe
    - all stages live and in English on Dubai Sports Channel 2 (in case there's a stream available somewhere)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2658
    « Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 21:57 »
    Degenkolb classified as a puncheur? Maybe at the Hatta Dam, because everybody else in the field falls backwards off the bike if it is steeper than 3%, but only that day!  :D
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 19:46 »
    I can't follow this race very closely due to workload these days, but today I had some sofa time.
    The stage was flattish, but through the mountains,  and scores points for a bit more TV friendly scenery than the downtown Dubai stages. 

The stage was quite worth wathcing, featuring some echelons way to early to be decisive, race leader #jumbo Groenewegen punished for drafting on time car, kamikaze attack by #bmc Tom Bohli and a turbulent boulevard finale. If you can get the final 8 km, it doesn't take much time to watch it and I don't think we will see a sprint like it until the Tour de France starts. (Scheldeprijs is a bit of a different discipline :) )

On such a big boulevard, I guess it was to be expected that the big boulevard sprinters battled out for the podium. Quickstep will be a little disappointed as they split work with Katusha haouling the peloton through the desert without much reward.

We also saw #bahrain Vincenzo Nibali, actually acing the job of putting the Bahrain-Merida train on the tracks. Nibali's all-round capabilities are impressive, but Sonny Colbrelli's sprint lacks any aerodynamic features that I know of and he can't get the top speed needed to win on the boulevards like this.

Tomorrow, time for the puncheur #trek John Degenkolb and his yearly showpiece, the Hatta Dam! Up against #bmc Dylan Teuns, #bahrain Nibali and #astana Magnus Cort.

Others to watch out for: #uae Anass Ait-El Abdia

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6650
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 15:11 »
    Always a bit odd, this one, when sprinters get up the ramp and win. Suits the lighter / Classics-oriented ones among them, so no surprises with Colbrelli, Cort Nielsen, Viviani and even, to some extent, Kristoff.

• ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 16:58 »
    Always a bit odd, this one, when sprinters get up the ramp and win. Suits the lighter / Classics-oriented ones among them, so no surprises with Colbrelli, Cort Nielsen, Viviani and even, to some extent, Kristoff.
    Magnus Cort shouldn't be considered a sprinter anyway. In his U23 years, his wins in Danish races came mostly at the top of short, steep hills, and he's been said to be a future Amstel Gold Race winner (when that race still finished at the top of the Cauberg).

Why he has been shoehorned into a sprinter's role once he turned pro I don't understand; I've always viewed him as someone akin to Michael Matthews, yet more on the puncheurs' side of things than Bling.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1448
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 18:58 »
    I think he's doing all the Cobbled Classics this year as leader for Astana.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 21:32 »
    Results from the last stage, (seems to show team rather than individual riders? I haven't found a way to fix that. Click links on top of the table for the right results...)

and final overall ... Viviani!

(how to get this to display right ?? ?)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6695
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 06:00 »
    Results from the last stage, (seems to show team rather than individual riders? I haven't found a way to fix that.

(how to get this to display right ?? ?)

Yeah this happened to me earlier on in the year. The workaround solution is to go to the penultimate stage of the race, find it's code (180565), add 1 for the final stage (180566), and add 2 (180567) for the final GC.

If you look at the codes that are supposed to work, you will see that they are the same for the final stage and the GC (191797). Why they are so out of sequence with the rest of the race I don't know, but it's been the same for races earlier in the season too.
  • ReplyReply

•