collapse

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2057
Re: Dubai Tour
« on: February 08, 2018, 19:46 »
I can't follow this race very closely due to workload these days, but today I had some sofa time.
The stage was flattish, but through the mountains,  and scores points for a bit more TV friendly scenery than the downtown Dubai stages. 

The stage was quite worth wathcing, featuring some echelons way to early to be decisive, race leader #jumbo Groenewegen punished for drafting on time car, kamikaze attack by #bmc Tom Bohli and a turbulent boulevard finale. If you can get the final 8 km, it doesn't take much time to watch it and I don't think we will see a sprint like it until the Tour de France starts. (Scheldeprijs is a bit of a different discipline :) )

On such a big boulevard, I guess it was to be expected that the big boulevard sprinters battled out for the podium. Quickstep will be a little disappointed as they split work with Katusha haouling the peloton through the desert without much reward.

We also saw #bahrain Vincenzo Nibali, actually acing the job of putting the Bahrain-Merida train on the tracks. Nibali's all-round capabilities are impressive, but Sonny Colbrelli's sprint lacks any aerodynamic features that I know of and he can't get the top speed needed to win on the boulevards like this.

Tomorrow, time for the puncheur #trek John Degenkolb and his yearly showpiece, the Hatta Dam! Up against #bmc Dylan Teuns, #bahrain Nibali and #astana Magnus Cort.

Others to watch out for: #uae Anass Ait-El Abdia

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Recent Posts

Re: Smaller Race Results and Discussion 2018 by Leadbelly
    [May 20, 2018, 20:00]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [May 20, 2018, 19:44]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by search
    [May 20, 2018, 18:54]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly