collapse

Murrjt

• A Brother
  • 2nd Year Pro
  • Liked: 631
50th Tour Cycliste International du Haut Var Matin
« on: February 16, 2018, 12:36 »

On Saturday 17th February the 50th Tour du Haut Var will begin in Cannet-des-Maures, a race that has become one of the sporting highlights of the region. Placed just a few weeks before Paris-Nice in the cycling calendar this years edition will have a meet and greet beforehand with former winners gathering to celebrate it's 50th edition.

The first stage between Le-Cannet-des-Maures and Fayence is just under 170 kilometers long, the riders will climb the pass of Blavet (7km @ 3%), then will take in Les Marjories (3.3km @ 4.2%) and the arrival in Fayence with a short climb to the line. It will be a punchy stage.

The second stage will be a departure from recent times, for the last five years the race has finished with a stage in Draguignan however for financial reasons this will not be happening. Instead we get a stage from Vidauban to Flayosc which will tackle La Bastide de Tourtour (10km @ 4%) three times and St Pierre de Tourtour (same climb different side I think) will also be included and peaks 17 kilometers from the line. Like the first stage there is a short rise to the finish.

Stage 1 - Le Cannet-des-Maures  ›  Fayence (169.7km)

Stage 2 - Vidauban  ›  Flayosc (188.8km)

Teams

#ag2r #groupama #astana
#fortuneo #vital #direct #cofidis #delko #wallonie #nippo #wilier #euskadi #academy
#roubaix #auber #polartec #amore #sovac

Startlist

~pdf Haut Var 2018

previous winners
2017   VICHOT Arthur *fr
2016   VICHOT Arthur *fr
2015   GASTAUER Ben *lu
2014   BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto *co   
2013   VICHOT Arthur *fr   
2012   TIERNAN-LOCKE Jonathan *gb   
2011   VOECKLER Thomas *fr
2010   LE MEVEL Christophe *fr   
2009   VOECKLER Thomas *fr
2008   REBELLIN Davide *it

:web

The race can be followed here
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6451
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    It would be super difficult to find a flatter parcours than these in the Var. As budgets squeeze, this race becomes ever more like an intimate local affair, although its nice to see #astana turning up to race alongside the French teams. A good warm-up for Classics riders among them, hopefully French-style racing with a lot of attacking.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6718
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Stage 1 - Le Cannet-des-Maures  ›  Fayence (169.7km)
    I hope they present the winner of stage 1 with something like this! :lol

[1]
     1. yes, yes; I know it's named not for this town, but for Faenza, but bear with me; it would be fun
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2331
    It would be super difficult to find a flatter parcours than these in the Var. As budgets squeeze, this race becomes ever more like an intimate local affair, although its nice to see #astana turning up to race alongside the French teams. A good warm-up for Classics riders among them, hopefully French-style racing with a lot of attacking.

The finale on stage 1 is more or less identical to the Paris-Nice stage last year. It's a french murito, Sebastian Henao won it in the P-N. I see your point on the region being more hilly than the races, but this is far from a flat parcours.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2331

This picture from Fayence was taken on a day of cycling in the region...the flat sections of the race will be in the plain below, and the Chemin du Terme is a steeper road into town hidden from view here. Alternative climbs would be up to some of the other towns nearby (generally all on steep hills above that plain). Great place for a day of cycling! :) 
  • ReplyReply

• Murrjt

• A Brother
    • 2nd Year Pro
    The break was made up by Ourselin #direct Six #wallonie Barcelo #euskadi and Omer Goldstein #academy, they got a lead of around four and a half minutes but were caught when a counter attack from the peloton came with 45 kilometers left. After this things got a bit chaotic with one group going ahead and being caught then another and so on, with about 15km remaining a reduced bunch of 40 riders were still in contention. 

A trio briefly got a small lead but when the final climb in Fayence arrived it was all back together and the stage was won by Hivert #direct ahead of Bagioli #nippo and Dumoulin #ag2r. Worth noting there are no bonus seconds in the race.

• ReplyReply

• Murrjt

• A Brother
    • 2nd Year Pro
    Jarrier #fortuneo Barcelo #euskadi Lecroq #vital and Siskevicius #delko were in the break, the best placed in G.C was Barcelo who was 6'24 down, that time was about the maximum lead they got and it stayed steady at around five minutes for quite a while before really starting to come down on the 3rd pass of La Bastide de Tourtour. The first rider to be dropped was Lecroq and then Siskevicius went out alone but he would be caught with just under 30km to go.

With 20 kilometers remaining Pinot (+1) Molard (+1) Madouas (+1)  #groupama Hivert (leader) #direct Finetto (+11) #delko and Vuillermoz (+1) #ag2r went clear, their lead never reached a minute but it didn't matter as it would be these six that would contest for the stage and overall victory. With no time bonuses the one second gap Hivert got yesterday meant he just had to finish with the leading group, with this in mind Molard and Vuillermoz attacked in the last couple of kilometers but were brought back by Hivert.

As the final ramp came Molard attacked again but to no avail as Hivert couldn't be stopped from taking another stage and of course the G.C, the podium on the stage is the same as that for the race overall.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Now the thing you've got to remember about Jonathan Hivert is that he strikes but once or twice a year, every year, year on year, for thirteen years.

Sometimes I am amused that this face which, had it not spent all those years gurning over a set of handlebars, would doubtless have enjoyed a significant career modelling shaving products, ever thought, if faces can be said ever to think for themselves, that it would fit in a World Tour outfit.

Because in 2014 Hivert, which is French for "Wintert", spent the longest season ever at Belkin, where he did precisely nothing, despite my earlier claim to his consistency.

Having been convinced by the glowing enthusiasm of t-72 that this race was not in fact as flat as I had thought, I read the report in DirectVélo and such was it confirmed. An #fdj armada consisting of Pinot, Molard and Madouas, Jr failed to unseat the overnight leader, attacking him consistently on the run-in to Flayosc as I discovered to my surprise that #direct had sneakily switched to Wilier bikes without my knowledge.

Well, he only went and won it again, didn't he? You can see the broad smile on his cultivated salt-and-pepper face, which I will not reproduce here out of respect for the French website, and he had this to say:

"I don't really know what still motivates me [at 33 years old], but I just want to enjoy myself doing it. In races, my goal is to ride without any regrets. I've messed it up [in the past] and given away wins. Now, I just give it 100% and if it pays off, all the better.

"I feel stronger [nowadays]. Physically better in the final. And I don't get worried much about anything. Today I didn't really feel any pressure. It was just like a normal day and that's the best way to go about it."

https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/64238/jonathan-hivert-ne-plus-rien-regretter (FR)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Vuillermoz  #ag2r on getting second at Flayosc and second overall:

"I'm frustrated by my sprint. I went too late for sure. The chain sort of came off, well, it jumped a bit when I went over a speed bump. I'm not saying I would have won because Hivert was really strong but I didn't really get to fight it out with him. It could have been closer between us than it was.

"I'm more into harder climbs than these but I can do well on this type of finish. So it's a bit frustrating to get beaten but if you look at how fast [Hivert] was ... even Alejandro Valverde knows it, when Jonathan beat him that time in Spain ... so there's no shame in losing to him. He's a guy I like a lot anyway. We rode together at Sojasun. It's good to see him win, even if everyone wants to win.

https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/64245/alexis-vuillermoz-je-me-devais-d-attaquer (FR)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events