collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1414
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Re: Tirreno-Adriatico
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 16:14 »
Kwiatkowski rises to the occasion, Caruso hangs tough, Thomas steps up.

Awful headline idioms aside, the TT was more or less predictable, except that Landa and Uran lost more than I had expected, which helped Benoot to gain four places.

Not the hottest T-A in more than one sense, but a nice top 10 with a mix of abilities that reflect a mixed parcours.

Yeah. I'm thinking Landa is showing signs of having had a "flash in the pan" year last year. It happens often enough - it always takes me back to the classic example: Andy Hampsten. Won the Giro, took 4th at the tour while riding for Hinault and LeMond. Never managed to win another Giro. Managed to duplicate his 4th place at the tour once - even though he hovered near the top consistently. Something about putting a bunch of top echelon riders together often results in superior performances by each one. I think Porte is suffering from the same syndrome. Thomas may yet overcome it. Time will tell.

By all indications, it should be a good year.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11162
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 18:02 »
    Stage result including split times:

The conditions weren't quite the same for everyone by the look of it, those starting a bit later were significantly quicker in the first part, but unable to keep up the pace. In the end it wasn't decisive though, I think - also the rain didn't make much of a difference, as all gc contenders were affected in the same way, and neither of them probably would have been able to challenge Dennis anyway.

The surprise of the day for me was Mads Pedersen, who I didn't expect to be on that level already. Also young #movistar Jaime Roson did a fantastic time trial. His 47th place is a bit misleading, as he actually was one of the quickest starting in the rain, beating almost everyone around him (but Benoot).

there was a really interesting feature about #trek Ryan Mullen on Cyclingtips this winter by the way, talking about his move to Trek and the improvements that came with it, just in terms of equipment

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/11/poised-big-breakthrough-mullens-quest-time-trial-gold/

He says the new bike alone brings him an advantage of more than one minute over one hour.

Translated to the distance today, that would mean something like a ~10-15 seconds improvement compared to last year, I think - where he finished 17 seconds behind the winner Rohan Dennis. Curious to see how it goes...

#trek Ryan Mullen and his flying Trek machine on the other hand ended up in 19th, three seconds slower than last year on that rusty Cannondale bike
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11162
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 18:09 »
    Peter Sagan took it easy today by the way, allowing #wilier Jacopo Mosca to defend his lead in the points classification. #nippo Nicola Bagioli already sealed the mountain jersey yesterday, giving those two wild card teams to take home a reward at least for being in the break almost each day (Mosca 4 times out of 5, Bagioli for the first three stages), in an otherwise pretty invisible race.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events