collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 11275
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Re: World Championships 2018
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 07:57 »
the home selection

#bora Patrick Konrad
#bora Felix Großschartner
#bora Gregor Mühlbeger
#bora Lukas Pöstlberger
#fdj Georg Preidler
#trek Michael Gogl

+ #trek Matthias Brändle & #fdj Georg Preidler for the time trial.

Not really fair for Pernsteiner and Zoidl, but it is what it is I guess. The cooking revolutions takes its toll

https://diepresse.com/home/sport/mehrsport/5494382/OeRVTeam-fuer-HeimWM-ohne-Pernsteiner

Two weeks ago Brändle said that he completely messed up his preparation for the season and if his shape wouldn't improve massively, he'd voluntarily pass on starting in Innsbruck. Since then, he has taken over the lantern rouge of the Vuelta and finished 32nd in the time trial...
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6923
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 08:11 »
    I certainly wouldn't bother having Quintana there. That's the equivalent of picking Froome/Porte. Great climber in stage races = climber in one dayers.
    True. But Quintana, unlike Froome or Porte, has actually done alright in one-day races, finishing 9th, 11th, 14th, 16th in Lombardia (which, from the amount of climbing, is about the same as Innsbruck). He was won the Giro d'Emilia and finished 4th in Milano-Torino, 4th in the *co RR champs, placing 11th in Murcia, 36th in San Sebastián, 50th in LBL.

For comparison, Froome's best one-day results in his Sky years (since 2010) are 12th in the Rio Olympic RR, 16th in Lugano, 28th in Montréal, 36th in LBL, 41st in Québec, 49th in CEGORR.
    In the same period, Porte's best results is 10th (and 24th) in San Sebastián, 2x 3rd in the *au RR champs (plus 14th once), 20th & 21st in CEGORR.

Compared to Froome or Porte, Quintana is a one-day prodigy. Of course, Chaves and Urán have podiumed or even won Lombardia, so Nairito won't be the *co designated leader. But he wouldn't be in the race simply as dead weight - send him up the road, and the other nations will have to respond.

Sosa would be an obvious selection instead, but you can understand them targeting the lower fruit with him.
    Sosa is the quintessential stage racer, sort of like Froome or Porte (or maybe Savio just didn't pick him as team leader for one-dayers). He could (and probably will) win the U23 race on account of simply being so much better than the competition - but he would be out of his depth in the pro race (this year).
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2296
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 13:35 »
     *gb

Elite men's road race: Hugh Carthy, Tao Geoghegan Hart, Pete Kennaugh, James Knox, Ian Stannard, Connor Swift, Adam Yates, Simon Yates.

Elite Men's Time Trial: Alex Dowsett, Tao Geoghagen Hart.

Elite Women's Road Race: Hannah Barnes, Dani Christmas, Alice Cobb, Anna Henderson, Dani Rowe, Sophie Wright.

Elite Women's Time Trial: Alice Barnes, Hayley Simmonds.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6651
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 18:18 »
    Do you also have a presentation of the main lap ?

Sorry, no can do. I just it from the official twitter account, so they might have other ones closer to the race.

Alternatively you could try and persuade our Austrian correspondent to get on her bike with a Go Pro or something. :P

Elite Women's Road Race: Sophie Wright.

:cool

I've been keeping an infrequent eye on Sophie since the Euro's a couple of years ago. She was a MTBer first and foremost, but I believe that has been put very much on the back burner after one crash too many. Concentrating full-time on the road now and has hit the ground running at Cervelo with a 6th in the GC at Michela Fanini .
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 144
    « Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 20:48 »
    the home selection

#bora Patrick Konrad
    #bora Felix Großschartner
    #bora Gregor Mühlbeger
    #bora Lukas Pöstlberger
    #fdj Georg Preidler
    #trek Michael Gogl

+ #trek Matthias Brändle & #fdj Georg Preidler for the time trial.

Not really fair for Pernsteiner and Zoidl, but it is what it is I guess. The cooking revolutions takes its toll

While I think the selected 6 are better than Zoidl, I would have taken Pernsteiner instead of Gogl
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2649
    « Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 22:01 »
    Sosa is the quintessential stage racer, sort of like Froome or Porte (or maybe Savio just didn't pick him as team leader for one-dayers). He could (and probably will) win the U23 race on account of simply being so much better than the competition

Que?
    He may win, but he still needs to race first. I have only seen him in a couple of Avenir stages, where he had strong team support from his *co squad mates, yet failed to keep up with Tadej Pogačar, who was on his own. Sosa might have won in Sibiu, but his form was clearly on decline come the Avenir. 
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 22:11 »
    Que?
    Do you not know the forum rule that Colombians who win in Sibiu must be overhyped?! ;)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 22:42 »
    I am facing a ban now?  :o
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #38 on: September 13, 2018, 07:17 »
    I am facing a ban now?  :o
    Not if you adhere to the rules in the future. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #39 on: September 13, 2018, 18:32 »
    *de

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20180913_03741212

Buchmann
    Schachmann
    Denz
    Burghardt
    Geschke
    Martens

Martin and Schachmann will ride the TT,

*ch

https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/69285/championnat-du-monde-la-selection-suisse

TT

Silvan Dillier (AG2R La Mondiale)
    Stefan Küng (BMC Racing Team)

RR

Mathias Frank (AG2R La Mondiale)
    Kilian Frankiny (BMC Racing Team)
    Steve Morabito (Groupama-FDJ) -notre photo-
    Sébastien Reichenbach (Groupama-FDJ)
    Michael Schär (BMC Racing Team)
    Patrick Schelling (Vorarlberg Santic)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 05:52 »
    *si

https://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/innsbruck-2018/innsbruck-2018-la-slovenia-annuncia-una-selezione-pronta-a-dire-la-sua/

Roglic
    Mohoric
    Spilak
    Pibernik
    Polanc
    Tratnik
    Bole
    Novak

Roglic has decided to focus 100% on the RR. Therefore Tratnik will be the only one to ride the TT as well.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 07:05 »
    Roglic has decided to focus 100% on the RR. Therefore Tratnik will be the only one to ride the TT as well.

Strange decision, given that Roglic is definetly better than Tratnik in the ITT even if Tratnik is a solid and a bit undervalued rider. It is not given that Roglic should be the captain for the RR, Mohoric (2x #rainbow) is the better one-day racer.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3915
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 09:52 »
    given the difficulty of the TT course, I think that is a stupid decision.

Roglic has a really good shot at rainbows in the TT ...
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 636
    « Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 22:04 »
    win number 2 today in Toscana for Moscon. he is on form. but I almost hope someone else wins. if the stem-staring, bad style jokes/accusation/moaning were tiring, well, I dont want to think at the noise every time Moscon shows up in the rainbow jersey. I´m serious, I want people to watch Sanremo, Flanders, Roubaix. not going on a strike and not watch
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #44 on: September 22, 2018, 01:35 »
    Richie Porte out due to illness

he cant catch a break these days
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #45 on: September 22, 2018, 05:33 »
    Women's TTT

Men's TTT

Start lists can be found here.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #46 on: September 22, 2018, 10:43 »
    win number 2 today in Toscana for Moscon. he is on form. but I almost hope someone else wins. if the stem-staring, bad style jokes/accusation/moaning were tiring, well, I dont want to think at the noise every time Moscon shows up in the rainbow jersey. I´m serious, I want people to watch Sanremo, Flanders, Roubaix. not going on a strike and not watch

He came very close to winning the U-23 worlds in Ponferrada with a succesful attack on the decent, breaking fre to chase *co Brayan Ramirez who was alone in front. He never caught Ramirez, because he made mistakes on the downhill and ended up falling on the 90 degree right-hander onto the dam itself. A turn he had done at least 11 times before, in perfect conditions.
    When good cyclists fail at such turns, in such a situation, its a head thing, they are losing a mind game (being exhausted helps, of course). Moscon isn't just as strong as a tractor, he is trattore, but tractors aren't known for good decision making.  I'll give him a chance if he crests the last steep climb 30 secs ahead of the peloton alone or with *fr Thibault Pinot. If any of the ace descenders (*si Mohoric, *fr Alaphilippe, *pl Kwiatkowski or even *sk Sagan (heaven forbid, not him again)) is near him at the top of the Hölle, he'll end up going over the railing at the exit of one turn or another down the final descent. Moscon just isn't as good as the best on the downhill.

Speaking of Ponferrada.....Norway's best day out ever:  :cool (1,3,5)

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 13:18 by LukasCPH »

t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #47 on: September 22, 2018, 10:47 »
    Women's TTT

We all know women can't climb, so better make it flat for them :fp it's a ~150 meter vertical climb?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2386
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #48 on: September 22, 2018, 12:10 »
    Richie Porte out due to illness

I think he chose the wrong career. I don't know how he keeps coming back from all his setbacks.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2386
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #49 on: September 22, 2018, 12:11 »
    Is there, by chance, another thread that I'm missing that includes the men's RR course preview, discussion, etc?

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #50 on: September 22, 2018, 13:24 »
    We all know women can't climb, so better make it flat for them :fp it's a ~150 meter vertical climb?
    But including that climb would make the route the same length as the men's at >60 km!
    The distance is already over the limit for a women's TTT (max. 50 km), nevermind TTT Worlds (20-40 km).
    So is the men's route (40-60 km at Worlds), but those few extra kilometres could be dispensed.

But making the race even longer would surely have made for huge complaints from the peloton.
    Not.

The thing I question is: Why do the TTTs (and ITTs, and RRs) have to start in places outside Innsbruck?!
    It would be much easier to make similar courses - and easier for spectators to watch! - if the starts were in or near Innsbruck. The TTTs are basically point-to-point races when everybody knows that Worlds are supposed to consist of circuits.
     :angry
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #51 on: September 22, 2018, 13:26 »
    Is there, by chance, another thread that I'm missing that includes the men's RR course preview, discussion, etc?
    I thought there would be, but there isn't.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #53 on: September 23, 2018, 20:13 »
    Junior Women's TT

Watch out for Big Maggy's daughter. Other names I recognise (that doesn't mean they're good though) are Gigante, Boillard, Kulynych (the Ukranian Rujano), Georgi and Wiel.

U23 Men's TT

Start lists can be found here.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 01:00 »
    didnt get to watch it - but the last ever Team Time Trial World Championship for trade teams appeared to be quite nteresting.

In future years it appears there will be a new team time trial for national teams rather than trade teams.

Ian Stannard crashed int he opening kilometer for Team Sky - which meant they finished fourth after waiting for him.  Quickstep won their fourth TTT ahead of favourite Sunweb with BMC third.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6644
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #57 on: September 24, 2018, 12:49 »
    So that was the last TTTTT, then. Dull as always but certainly better than a nations edition could ever be. Ever so slightly regretful it's over, especially when the #quickstep riders were such an enthusiastic winners.

Impressive crowds, I thought, as well as fab roads and lovely scenery.

Looking forward to this weekend. Diary cleared!
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6644
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #58 on: September 24, 2018, 12:54 »
    https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1044161299112955904

Some promising youngsters here, especially this new generation of Dutchies coming through now.

The gene pool strikes again with Elynor Bäckstedt in third, a cocktail of Magnus and Megan Hughes and still only 16 years old. Incidentally the other daughter of a Paris-Roubaix winner in the race, Britt Knaven, finished 11th.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #59 on: September 24, 2018, 17:47 »
    https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1044239883198451713

Bjerg a class apart. The other late starters a bit disappointing. Van Moer and Hayter the ones that did better than expected.

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Recent Posts