M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1453
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Re: World Championships 2018
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2018, 21:48 »
Just watched the U23 Men's, on recording. I can see why they say Hirschi won Cancellara style! He attacked on the big descent about 10km out. Gets a little gap by sprinting around his two break-mates, but really opens up the gap by masterful descending skills. Pretty impressive ending, perhaps more because by midrace there was no predicting who would win. Even at 15km out the winning group was in question.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3915
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #91 on: October 01, 2018, 00:51 »
    womens - Anna van der Breggen ... what can you say.  She attacked hard and early, got a gap from Spratt and that was the end of the race.  The peleton didnt bother chasing, but it was still an amazing 40 km solo.

Mens - Valverde finally gets the one he wanted.  The emotion of it was very clear.   It wasnt the most exciting race to watch ... they let a break get out to 19 minutes, and only chased it back very slowly.  The last lap was the only one worth watching, and even then only the last climb.

Bardet and excellent ride, Woods had an absolute ripper.  Alaphillippe tried incredibly hard to stay with them on that last climb, but just couldnt manage - same as Moscon.  Dumoulin did get distanced on the climb, but kept to his pace and had a very good descent and TT'd back on with 1.5km to go.   Sadly though, that took all of what he had, so wasnt able to outsprint a very watchful and careful Valverde.

Valverde knew that he had the sprint.  The others all knew it too - they forced him to the front, but he was good enough to get the job done.

and it means the world to him.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2658
    « Reply #92 on: October 01, 2018, 06:49 »
    About the chase in the men’s road race, from interviews I have seen, they did not chase it down slowly, even if it took a long time to bring back the 19 minutes. The chase, once started, was fast and painfully fast on the Igls climb rounds. It is just got to be that way if you give a large break with good collaboration such a large gap and *no Laengen and *dk Asgren is on board. I think they were a little underestimated, one having hauled the peloton a half lap around  Spain and the other, finally back in shape, started his pro career by going in the break from Milano to the foot of the Poggio! These guys eat distances of  hundreds of kilometers like ordinary people eat sandwhich. That gave the peloton some serious work yesterday, and left us with a finale where the expected punches became loose hand slaps. They made the race hard.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #93 on: October 01, 2018, 09:20 »
    https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/1046475799166160897

WT #rainbow Alejandro Valverde :win

PCT #rainbow Ben Hermans :win

CT #rainbow Carl Fredrik Hagen :win
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 412
    « Reply #94 on: October 01, 2018, 11:26 »
    I really enjoyed the race yesterday - the scandi breakaway duo, Kennaugh's impact, Valgren's bold and potentially, but just not quite successful escape, the sight of WT riders pedaling squares or in Dumoulins case zig zagging (like I do on very modest gradients!) on the 28%; the strength of Woods, the charm of Bardet; the no race radio 'he's behind you' recovery of big Tom; and somewhat grudgingly the win at last for the old scoundrel.  Plus to top it all off nicely the class of Sagan in presenting the medal. 

So roll on Yorkshire 2019 - now that is going to be serious fun!
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1453
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #95 on: October 01, 2018, 15:41 »
    . . .

and it means the world to him.

Playing with words, now! :lol

I really enjoyed the race yesterday - the scandi breakaway duo, Kennaugh's impact, Valgren's bold and potentially, but just not quite successful escape, the sight of WT riders pedaling squares or in Dumoulins case zig zagging (like I do on very modest gradients!) on the 28%; the strength of Woods, the charm of Bardet; the no race radio 'he's behind you' recovery of big Tom; and somewhat grudgingly the win at last for the old scoundrel.  Plus to top it all off nicely the class of Sagan in presenting the medal. 

So roll on Yorkshire 2019 - now that is going to be serious fun!

Based on other descriptions, I was thinking of skipping the recording to the end before I watched. Now I'll have to let it play out! Love the description of Valverde as "the old scoundrel" - fitting!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6947
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #96 on: October 01, 2018, 23:07 »
    I think they were a little underestimated, one having hauled the peloton a half lap around  Spain and the other, finally back in shape, started his pro career by going in the break from Milano to the foot of the Poggio! These guys eat distances of  hundreds of kilometers like ordinary people eat sandwhich. That gave the peloton some serious work yesterday, and left us with a finale where the expected punches became loose hand slaps. They made the race hard.
    Absolutely.
    This was a break of eleven riders - that's different than five or six. And those eleven were high-quality riders across the board. With two excellent Scandinavians to, in the big picture, almost finish it off.

Just because there was no #teamfr #teambe #teames #teamit in there, that doesn't mean that they're "just some guys, who cares, no problem".

The trouble started right at the beginning when the gap ballooned to >15 minutes within 10 km. You don't give a break (any break, much less such a strong break as this) that much of a head start.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2424
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #98 on: October 23, 2018, 14:05 »
    I'm afraid this just won't do. Tribute bands must include a pun in their title. AC/DShe? Bjorn Again? Dread Zepplin? Unless OI&B means something hilarious then the Zucchero Tribute Band is rather lacking in imagination.

Late to the party here, and I haven't even the slightest clue what this post is about, but I just wanted to share that there used to be an all-girl tribute band around here called Lez Zeppelin.
     :P
  • ReplyReply

•