collapse

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2618
Ẁe use the procyclingstats.com results widgets alot, but the quality of their service is much reduced these days. When you try to embed the results for the stage, you get the GC and when you try to post the GC results you get the team competition. Or something else  :angry. I am tired of guessing at their 6-digit codes and I wonder, are there any alternatives?
I have noticed there are some other sites which seems to have the same kind of results listing (but not a widget) and I was wondering if there is a source somewhere?

Here's an example from firstcycling.com (it appears to be a Norwegian site):
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    Here's another example, page called world cycling stats

Now, where do all these sites get their source data from (seems to be one and the same source since I notice the same races have incomplete results....)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6523
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    CQ and Cycling Archives give results as well.

Now, where do all these sites get their source data from (seems to be one and the same source since I notice the same races have incomplete results....)

PCS would say PCS. :P

Dunno about the sources too much. Companies like MatSport and Edosof do it for some of the bigger races. At the smaller ones it may just be a contact e-mailing them out.

What happens at Sibiu?

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11164
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    I think T-72 is talking about the database those two sites above seem to be using.

And yeah, race results are sent out to the UCI (and whoever is in the mailing list) by the timing company
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

t-72

• Road Captain
    I think T-72 is talking about the database those two sites above seem to be using.

yep. an alternative to getting it from someone else would be to make a script to display the same data here. if it is a good alternative, I don't know - I am primarily disappointed by procyclingstats  :angry and rational behavior comes some places down on my list, concerning this  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6612
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    I sympathise with t-72 but I'm not really convinced of the value of embedding results here at all. Is it useful to our discussions? Tweets and whatnot have a place, I think, but I'm not sure about tables of results.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

t-72

• Road Captain
    I think results are relevant information and it enhances readability if that information is made available to the readers "in line" instead of via links to external websites. I think that is why the pcs link-code was made in the first place?

Anyway...allow me to experiment a little with pcs native code here:

This should be MSR team results for #academy:
    Code: [Select]
    <iframe width="600"   src="https://www.procyclingstats.com/widgets/pcsrace.php?id=180735&team=2738&ref=default&key=d0a5d32f9de5018f3cc8874ee9f9b1e0b538fd40" scrolling="YES" frameborder="0" height="390">
    test1:
    <iframe width="600"   src="https://www.procyclingstats.com/widgets/pcsrace.php?id=180735&team=2738&ref=default&key=d0a5d32f9de5018f3cc8874ee9f9b1e0b538fd40" scrolling="YES" frameborder="0" height="390">

test2: (just the id)

test3: (race id+ team id)

(guess this will crash something  :D :angel)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11164
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    we don't have embedding for the team results on here. As far as I know, it also costs money, doesn't it? That way they can sell it to the teams to use it on their website
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6881
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    we don't have embedding for the team results on here. As far as I know, it also costs money, doesn't it? That way they can sell it to the teams to use it on their website
    This.
    Dim (I think it was Dim) developed 'our' embedding before PCS even offered their own - which, a couple of years later, now leads to some problems.
    And HTTP code isn't enabled for security reasons (I think), so that would have to be changed too (and is it worth it?).
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1414
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    It took me a couple of readings through the thread, but I think I've got it - T-72 is just trying to get reliable race results - is not happy with the current state of affairs at ProCyclingStats - and wondering if we could provide a more direct data link here. Right?

Lukas - don't you mean HTTPS code isn't enabled here?

And T-72, referring to pcs-native code - is misleading - when what you are using is just links to Pro-Cycling Stats, using their website php or js or whatever to run the search, no?  "pcs" is a bit ambiguous, although I think I've determined you just mean ProCyclingStats - but there is also Physical Coding Sublayer (PCS): a networking protocol sublayer, and you mentioned coding you see . . .

Lukas: what are you referring to as "our" embedding?

So, correct me if I go wrong here, but wouldn't we either have to host the data on our servers (a database (=db)), or link to someone else's database? And the 2nd solution will have the same problems as simple linking to ProCyclingStats (PCS). Whereas the first one would mean somebody would have to get on the UCI results email list, write a script to incorporate the raw data into our local db, and then write more scripting to feed it back to our http server. Right?

• ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6881
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Lukas - don't you mean HTTPS code isn't enabled here?
    Possibly. I'm no expert. I think it's actually HTML code, come to think of it.
    Whichever it is, it means that PCS' own results widget embedding won't work.

Lukas: what are you referring to as "our" embedding?
    Before PCS even made their own embedding widgets, Dim wrote something specifically for VR that turns
    [pcs ]six-digit code[/pcs ]
    into the familiar results table with the top-9 or so.

This all still works.
    What changed is that PCS used to have that six-digit code as part of the URL, you could copy-paste it from there with a single click.
    Now the URL is ".../Race_Name_Stage_X" or some such, to get the six-digit code you have to click More->Embed Results and then copy the six-digit code from there.
    But: The six-digit code in PCS' own HTML code is now (for some reason) no longer the correct six-digit code ... instead it turns up in the URL. But only if you go on the "Embed Results" page. And even there, for the final stage or the GC of a stage race, you now get (wrongly) redirected to the team classification instead. In these cases it's now necessary to go to the penultimate stage, take that one's six-digit code, and add 1 (for the final stage) or 2 (for GC).

:S :S :S

So, to summarise:
    Everything still works perfectly on our end. PCS have just (accidentally or not) made it extremely complicated to obtain the correct six-digit code you need to embed the correct result, leading to understandable frustration in the user experience.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1414
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    Ok - now it is making more sense. HTTP vs HTTPS - is a server thing, right, not really "code' - you're right. VR is still using HTTP, which more people are turning away from, due to security issues.

Dim wrote a script then, to request the page info from PCS. That page info is almost certainly delivered on the fly, by their server(s), out of a database, rather than a hard-coded page. But whatever - if I get some time and energy, I'll take a look and see if I can see anything helpful. Of course, if Dim or somebody who is actually intelligent in these matters looks into it, they'll likely get there long before me!
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    When it comes to web page coding, I am not very skilled so please forgive lack of precision in my descriptions. I will leave the more competent people to discuss the technical details.

However, I wanted to point out that procyclingstats.com are offering a new widget as of yesterday (integrated stage-gc-points-mountains-youth-team all in one). It seems that it can also be condigured with colors etc according to the receiving website's wishes. The widget is free for use, but they ask for your domain name for usage stats.
    It may be a good time to consider an upgrade on our side?

(If a service is free, you're the product, of course.)

Here's an example code for their new widget, default style (if one of the users with html-permission could repost this, please?)

Code: [Select]
    <iframe src="https://www.procyclingstats.com/widgets/result.php?id=180746&k=ZZ66dm07Eig7&p=d9353bd02a" frameborder="0" width="600" height="392"></iframe>
  • ReplyReply

•