collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6923
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Milano - Sanremo 2018
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2018, 22:28 »
Medical update on Cav: http://africasteam.com/2018/03/17/update-mark-cavendish/

Following medical imaging, it was determined that he avoided major injury in the incident.

He did sustain a new rib fracture (5th) on the same side as the one that he damaged in the opening stage of Tirreno-Adriatico (7th).

He also has bruising and abrasions consistent with the scale of the crash as well as a possible “ligamentous ankle injury” that will require further assessment once he returns home on Saturday.
Broken ribs, bruises, road rash, possibly something with the ankle ligaments.
Seems like he was lucky, all in all.

Didn't see any of the race, but it sounds like watching the final 10-20 km is sufficient. ;)
Bravo Nibali!
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3915
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #31 on: March 17, 2018, 23:48 »
    yep - final 15km will get it all .... but it was actually a pretty fun race.

The issue with MSR is that its the distance that makes it hard, and that doesnt necessarily make exciting-to-watch bike racing, but its fun all the same.

I liked the reactions of Bahrain to attempt a block once Nibs escaped ... and I always love it when a move like that succeeds (though I admit a heart attack or two that he might get caught just before the line rather than after it)

and I like that the race is won by someone who wants it so very desperately.  Who rides from the start of the year to the end of the year, every year.  Who doesnt focus just on GT's but gives recognition and respect to the classics as well ....

:pray  Nibali
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1446
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #32 on: March 18, 2018, 00:53 »
    Looks like Cav avoided serious damage. A big "whew".

http://africasteam.com/2018/03/17/update-mark-cavendish/

Ooops. HEY! (I'm late to the :party, folks.) Lukas beat me to it!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #33 on: March 18, 2018, 15:38 »
    In the post-race analysis, it seems that Sagan is showing some advanced headology:

http://www.velonews.com/2018/03/news/road/sagan-told-vincenzo-wins-well-catch_460070

. . . “I knew that if I went solo and chased we’d get him, but the problem was that nobody reacted, they were all expecting me, so I said: OK. I told myself: Vincenzo wins or we’ll catch him. We didn’t catch and that’s OK.”
     . . .

e.g. If they're all looking at me, let them look, and they'll get nothing.

Which is about all you CAN do when you've got a motor like Sagan does, unless you get the right opportunity. Cancellara had the same problem, eh?
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #34 on: March 18, 2018, 21:46 »
    more post-race analysis: this time it's Nibali:

Nibali even takes a phonecall in the last kilometer:

https://twitter.com/raykerckhoffs/status/975074544548540421

Not the first time Sir Nibs has shaken up those phone convos!
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1447
    « Reply #35 on: March 18, 2018, 23:15 »
    Cheers to Slow Rider !!! :D

Again I need to say a great champion for a disgraceful team but I don't want to make it a litany.

It's quite amazing. I remember telling a friend that Nibali would never win Milan-Sanremo. He does not have a sprint even in smaller groups, he does not have explosiveness to attack on the Poggio.

Now he's making history here. First winner of Milan Sanremo while attacking solo on the Poggio since Colombo in 1996 (?) and winner of Milan-Sanremo and of a GT. Last time was Jalabert (though well, dark side related).

Some teaching: shouldn't a puncher attempt an early attack on the Poggio if he wants to win? Usually in recent years, they all waited for the max gradient slope close to the top.

In the years to come, shouldn't punchers of the Nibali-type consider that what Nibali could do I can do it? I keep saying: Milan-Sanremo is not a classic for sprinters but a classic that sprinters can win. Slight nuance. Twice in a row, no bunch sprint (while no Maniè)

Return of the Via Roma is really beneficial to this race. I doubt Nibali would've hold off the peloton all the way to Lungho Mare.

Probably also some clinic improvement, I guess. The main sprinter team was Fdjeux and Fdjeux is no Saeco or Fassa Bortolo...

And of course, Sagan loses and is whining but forgive him, he does great wheelies...

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #36 on: March 18, 2018, 23:27 »

In the years to come, shouldn't punchers of the Nibali-type consider that what Nibali could do I can do it? I keep saying: Milan-Sanremo is not a classic for sprinters but a classic that sprinters can win.

this
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 09:55 »
    So apparently the last winner of Milan-Sanremo to attack solo on the Poggio was Giorgio Furlan in 1994 and not Colombo who was in a 4-man group in 1996. My bad.

Furlan, not a great reference either but well 24 years after.  :o
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6644
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 11:30 »
    If the chasers had actually chased instead of indulging in "no sir, after you" politeness, Nibali might have been caught before the line.

That's not to take anything away from the physical effort, which he needed to generate and hold his gap, or the descending skills, which he needed to consolidate it.

So it was really a display of the complexity often at work in pro cycling that puts off the casual viewers and enthralls the rest of us.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #39 on: March 19, 2018, 17:05 »
    You cannot think of more classic a scenario than this. Rider breaks away, first chaser waiting for a third man to chase but third man does not move and the bird is flying. Countless races have been decided that way. However in this case, it's more complex than that. Nibali attacked very early on the Poggio and many riders probably wouldn't believe he had the legs and audacity to hold through. Attacks from so early on the Poggio, and lone attacks on top of that are usually bound to fail but Nibali held through. So really, Sagan is a sore loser and a disgrace for this sport.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 636

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2649
    « Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 22:13 »
    I can't but agree with a lot that has been said. If Nibali had been riding for a team with a respectable sponsors, he would probably be my #1 favorite rider. He doesn't, so...."it's complicated".  :(

However, he knows how to finish a one-day race (and that's saying "Hello Chris Froome", quite loud IMHO)  and actually, yeah, just that - in today's peloton he is the guy that can credibly challenge Froome on Palmares. I don't like it when someone is untouchable, that makes for boring racing, so I hope Nibali continues doing what he's doing - maybe with the same team - but different sponsors next year. Something italian everybody can like. Barilla - Merida or Barolo - MoreWina, I don't care. Just ride, and switch sponsors, please!

Back to the race itself - we all have our preferences: I notice that a lot of other contributors here are of the opinion that an early attack and a solo win is the best way to settle a monument. The most recent example of this would be #quickstep Philippe Gilbert doing 65 km on his own in de Ronde last year. That's more than an hour hanging out in front all alone and after the crash of the terrible three in the chase it was by no means settled yet but still quite unlikely anyone but Gilbert would win.

It may be a cultural thing. I think in Norway, most people tend to think the other way: if its a win by a mile (not to mention six miles) it is usually not a very exciting race, and the excitement doesn't last all the way to the end. Looking to our national sport X-C skiing and the 50 km race (the monument equivalent, if I can call it that): Yes, there have been wins like Johan Olsson in Val di Fiemme (here if you want the full story) more or less exactly like Philippe Gilbert in Flanders (including fall of closest competitor), soloing away from a very long distance. That's an impressive win, but a boring race. The races we remember more, the ones we love, are the close races. If it is a photo finish to split the top 3 after 50 km, we consider that a great race. This translates to cycling, if Sagan beats Kristoff by a boot length after some 270 km ... great race! and sh*t result, but it follows from a close finish that there will be losses.

In the MSR, we get these close finishes almost every time, with some tactical variation. It stil follows a quite fixed storyline and that makes the finale so intense. Every year I like this race more and more for that reason. It's 9 kilometers from the finish line and somethings got to happen, soon, someone got to do something.

Now, if just everyone can stop writing about Nibali making the attack on the Poggio - he followedKris Neilands. Sometimes he gets more credit than deserves. Of course he stole the show completely.

I also don't agree about #fdj being the only sprinter's team. #mitchelton was as strong if not stronger than #fdj, but probably blew it with poor tactical decisions, Matteo Trentin making a fruitless attack on the downhill. #uae featured Ben Swift leading out Aleksander Kristoff, that's about as many previous podium finishes as you can put on a train here - and #quickstep was there too. However, none had both the capacity (#uae) and the willingness (#bora, #sky, #quickstep, #mitchelton) to chase down Nibali, to get those cards reshuffled once again, no matter what the consequences could be. They all failed to risk loosing this way, and thus they lost the chance at winning, and lost it to the one team that was willing to risk not everything, actually on a brave attack up the Poggio.

When I say Bahrain-Merida did not risk everything with Nibali's attack, it's because they still had Colbrelli and he finished 9th at same time as Nibali.  He might have finished higher up if he didn't have the teammate in front. They risked only their climber.

Plenty of teams come to the MSR configured for doing just this, with one preferably punchy climber and one good sprinter. The true coward's tale here is how the DS's of many teams held back their climbers on the Poggio. The early attacks were made by Marcus Burghardt and Jempy Drucker, and, to be honest, none of those are expected to run the show on the final climb. There was only one small team that dared launch an attack with their best rider.

Nibali had positioned himself near the front early on the climb, and in that position it was quite clear that he was going to follow the first serious move rather than attack himself. The intense focus on Sagan and Kwiatkowski probably helped him in the sense that most other teams were happy to let him go as long as #bora and #sky did not follow.

Clearly a deserved win, and a great win, but if you estimate it in percentage of race time i am pretty sure it is the thinnest winning margin in any racing sport the whole year. I am not a fan of "marginal gains" but "winning big races by small margins" = great sports entertainment :cool

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 10:18 »
    In fairness, Quickstep did exactly that - came with climber/puncheur and sprinter.

Unfortunately Alaphillipe wasnt in good enough shape, and Gilbert got caught behind the Cavendish crash.  Left only the sprinter .... still they sat and watched Nibali ride away with it rather than helping chase him so ..

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events