collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 10204
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Dwars door Vlaanderen
« on: March 26, 2018, 13:06 »
Dwars door Vlaanderen

Wednesday, March 28th

On Wednesday the peloton returns to Waregem for Dwars door Vlaanderen, not only jumping on a new date in the cycling calendar, but also taking place on an altered route. Compared to last year it's 20km shorter and Oude-Kwaremont as well as the Paterberg are missing in the finale.

Apparently the organizers went for a slightly easier approach to attract more riders not wanting to go too deep only a couple of days before the Ronde - but fortunately they were fooled by the weather forecast: heavy rain and temperatures around ~5°C are on the agenda for Wednesday. :)

17 World Tour teams will participate (two more than last year - only FDJ is missing) and the wildcards were handed out to #verandas Verandas Willems, #academy Isreal Cycling Academy, #direct Direct Enrgie, #cofidis Cofidis, #wanty Wanty, #topsport Sport Vlaanderen and #wallonie WB Aqua Protect.

The ~pdf provisional start list features most of the usual contenders for this type of races (apart from Sagan, Kwiatkowski and Trentin), but also several GC riders like #movistar Valverde, Quintana and Landa or #ag2r Romain Bardet. Valverde did a strong race in 2014, so it's not totally out of question to see him competing for the win, although he'd probably prefer better weather conditions.

Live coverage starts at 14:30 cest on Sporza and Eurosport.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1920
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Re: Dwars door Vlaanderen
    « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 13:51 »
    TBH, I think that the UCI in this instance have meddled too much with the pre-Flanders calendar.
    This was usually a cracking race at 200kms and with those iconic climbs included.
    So, we the public are being short changed, De Panne got well and truly stuffed and even the race that benefited, has been somewhat emasculated.
    For what? So that the WT calendar looked a bit neater.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1593
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 13:56 »
    TBH, I think that the UCI in this instance have meddled too much with the pre-Flanders calendar.
    This was usually a cracking race at 200kms and with those iconic climbs included.
    So, we the public are being short changed, De Panne got well and truly stuffed and even the race that benefited, has been somewhat emasculated.

I was SO ANGRY about De Panne. Flanders Classics were so adamant they wanted this Weds and now with changes to DDV I have to agree with you about feeling short changed Mellow...what the heck is the point?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6107
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 14:17 »

I was SO ANGRY about De Panne. Flanders Classics were so adamant they wanted this Weds and now with changes to DDV I have to agree with you about feeling short changed Mellow...what the heck is the point?

Indeed it seems that FC wants to rival RCS and ASO in grabbing big chunks of the sport but it has less concern for tradition than either of them.

FC has certainly modernised the sport, if that means megabucks VIP packages, longer term sponsorships, roadside marquees, fee paying host towns and glitzy sportives, and a certain amount of that can only be good. What is also good is that this power grab has provoked responses.

The Napoleon Games Cycling Cup has bundled several other (often struggling) events into a series and thus given them more individual attention while Schaal Sels has successfully reinvented itself to stay alive.

But there have been victims. The town of Geraardsbergen is probably the best known but also the Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde and now, it seems, any FC "property" which can be unilaterally meddled with at will.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10887
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 16:13 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 08:27 »
    *be Het Nieuwsblad
    :*:*:*:*:* van Avermaet
    :*:*:*:* Naesen, Benoot
    :*:*:* Lampaert, Vanmarcke, Stuyven
    :*:* Terpstra, Valverde, Stybar, van Aert
    :* Groenewegen, Viviani, Debusschere, Kristoff, Theuns
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1883
    « Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 08:51 »
    Does anyone know if they will be allowed to ride in the gutter at Taaienberg, or if it will be fenced off, like I understand it will be in de Ronde? It seems to be a candidate for the selective climb of the day.

Rider to watch out for #uae Aleksander Kristoff suffers from an extreme case of Taaienberg syndrome. Despite having won de Ronde, he has never crested the Taaienberg in the first group. Looking at what happened on the Kemmelberg in the G-W this Sunday, where Kristoff was maybe the first rider to not make the selection (or 2 or 3) I still don’t think he’s free of all symptoms.

On the other hand, if he is in first group up the hill here today, add an extra star for him in de Ronde!
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1920
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 12:53 »
    Does anyone know if they will be allowed to ride in the gutter at Taaienberg, or if it will be fenced off, like I understand it will be in de Ronde?

Barriers being used to keep riders off foot paths, but whether that includes the Taaienberg gutter, who knows?

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/dwars-door-vlaanderen-organisers-place-barriers-on-cycle-path-to-force-riders-onto-the-cobbles-374603

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1974
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 15:04 »
    Barriers being used to keep riders off foot paths, but whether that includes the Taaienberg gutter, who knows?

I'm always amused by these protocols (although really just enforcing rules that are supposed to be in place anyway, correct?). On one hand, it's utterly hysterical that race organizers have to physically force riders onto the designated area of competition. On the other, it doesn't reflect all that well on the sadistic tendencies of us, the fans.  But I suppose you have to draw the line somewhere, and the cobbled-edge of the road seems as good as any.

I agree with the barriers, I just find it funny and sad and funny all at the same time.  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 18:48 »
    not a bad race there in miserable conditions, and somehow #quickstep Lampaert managed to defend his title from last year

#ag2r Oliver Naesen and #ef Sebastian Langeveld crashed early on and retired the race. Hopefully they'll be fine for Sunday

#cofidis Geoffrey Soupe was a naughty boy, somehow sneaking his way back in the peloton on his way to the hotel :D

• ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 575
    « Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 18:52 »
    ans some other riders, who finished the race, chose not to ride the Kruisberg  :D

https://www.twitter.com/Bielalibre/status/979048975377498112
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 19:01 »
    ah, so Soupe and friends were actually ahead of that race at that point after taking a short cut on their way home
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3655
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 23:46 »
     :lol

it was actually a nice race.

racing was on from around 60km or so to go ... lots of attacks and a group trying to get away.  Lots of effort and actual chasing.

Eventually a group of 5 managed a gap, and the group behind wasnt organised so didnt make it back.  GVA put in a good chase but left it too late so had no chance.

Very weird sprint.  Lampaert covered almost every move ... then he found himself on the front and others looking at each other so he snuck off the front and went.  VanMarke the only one looking to cover him was blocked and in a blink the race was gone.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 09:55 »
    Lampaert covered almost every move ...

there was something about it in Het Nieuwsblad today. Lampaert wasn't happy with #trek Mads Pedersen's way of (not) doing his workload in the that group, so he went for the "everyone but you" approach and covered every move he was part of. :D

Naesen's crash seems to have been a bit more serious than it looked like btw:

The doctor says it'll take 3-5 days for the swollen knee to go back to normal
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3655
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 11:39 »
    damn.  Hope that is more strapping than swelling and he is ok for the weekend.  Makes a hard race so much harder
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 979
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 18:21 »
    I'm always amused by these protocols (although really just enforcing rules that are supposed to be in place anyway, correct?). On one hand, it's utterly hysterical that race organizers have to physically force riders onto the designated area of competition. On the other, it doesn't reflect all that well on the sadistic tendencies of us, the fans.  But I suppose you have to draw the line somewhere, and the cobbled-edge of the road seems as good as any.

I agree with the barriers, I just find it funny and sad and funny all at the same time.  :-x

For the cobbles, I don't think it is so much like sadism. I think it is rather because riding the foot paths and gutters is just plain faster or easier than sticking to the cobbles. And, if it is faster or easier, some rider WILL sneak over there and use it - just human nature. Then, if ONE does it, the rest will follow suit, just to keep up.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks