t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2665
Ronde van Vlaanderen 2018
« on: March 30, 2018, 08:19 »
In this years monumental moment's: (drumroll) time for number 2 (even more drumrolls, trumpets etc)

De ronde van Vlaanderen!

(TATAAA TTAAT A AT TAT A TA!)

April 1st, 2018

As a near total stranger to everything Belgian I will write a most disrespectful preview here. Your's truly has only once or twice passes through Belgium before and my only connection to this place is ... yes, they have some cool bike races in the spring and yes, this is the most famous one. 

The name makes no sense at all. If you look at the map, this is the Cruise across Flanders followed by the Laps of a limited area of Flaanderen. If you want to see a bike race that actually goes around much of Vlaanderen, go to next year's Gent-Wevelgem.

They tell you this is a cobbles race, but most of the action take part in the gutters and on the footpaths, cyclopaths and in miscellanous fields that the cyclists will cross onto to make it a spectacular race with as little cobbles as possible. They also tell you it is about the bergs, but there isn't a rock in sight here unless it is in the road surface - there's a selection of molehills which is actually more like one hill that is climbed forwards, backwards, from the sides and in reverse, but it looks like there's a lot of them if you print it out on a race profile:

One should think that with the modern navigation equipment available to cyclists nowadays, at least some of the riders in the field should be bright enough to realize they're already at the finish line after about 106 km, but  the organizers have put in so much confusing twisting and turning left and right so even the tactical masterminds won't find their way back until after 262 km.

Competing teams and their important riders:
team rider name(s)
#quickstep Quickstep Floors all...
#bora Bora-Hansgrohe #rainbow  Sagan + Oss
#ag2r AG2R  #champbe Oliver Naesen
#bmc BMC van Avermaet + Roelandts
#lotto Lotto-Soudal Tiesj Benoot
#ef EF p/b Drapac Sep VanMarcke
#sunweb Sunweb Theuns + Kragh Andersen + Teunissen
#astana Astana Valgren Andersen + Magnus Cort + Lutsenko
#bahrain Bahrain Vincenzo Nibali + Heinrich Hausler
#fdj FDJ Arnaud Demare
#mitchelton Mitchelton-Scott Trentin + Durbridge
#movistar Movistar not Valverde
#didata  Dimension Data Edvald Boasson Hagen
#katusha Katusha Tony Martin
#jumbo  Lotto-Jumbo Timo Roosen
#sky  Team Sky Kwiatkowski +Moscon + van Baarle
#trek Trek-Segafredo Stuyven + Degenkolb
#uae United Arab Emirates  #champeu Aleksander Kristoff
#vlaanderen Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise Preben van Hecke
#wanty Wanty - Groupe Goubert Offredo + van Keirsbulck
#wbva WB Aqua Protect Veranclassic Alex Kirsch
#roompot Roompot - Nederlandse Loterij
#vital Vital Concept cycling club Bryan Coquard
#cofidis Cofidis Solutions Crédits Christophe Laporte

There's an enormous amount of cycling history related to this one event, which I translate into I hope Kristoff can win it, one more time!  :cool Other previous winners in the race are Peter Sagan (2016) and Philippe Gilbert (2017). The course was changed quite a lot for the 2017 edition, so Gilbert is really the only one that can claim to have won something similar to this year's version - which includes the "detour of Gerardsbergen" mid-race.

All races in Belgium preceeding de Ronde counts as a warm up for de Ronde and shows us who the favorites are. This year, that is defined at team level, and that's #quickstep Quickstep. There isn't a rider that is clearly dominant in the peloton, but the #quickstep team is. All the others are outsiders. 
This race is sometimes won by the lieutenants, not the captains. That's perfectly fine for Quickstep, bringing a hand full of cards to play in the tactical battle which this year may be a little bit longer than last year (it lasted from the base to the top of the Muur van Gerardsbergen).

In addition to Quickstep, Astana, BMC, Sky, Sunweb and Mitchelton all bring teams that offer the tactical option of sending the lieutenant up the road in an early move in the final. The rest of the teams are more one-man shows, and then some obviously don't really get to play in the final at all. 

Last year was a year of long-range attacks, this year all teams will have a plan (but not necessarily the capacity) to deal with that, so the decision may come much closer to the finish line this time, even if that does not mean a bunch sprint, but more likely a small group. History has thaught us that there are some that sprint faster at the end of a long day, so watch out for Matt Hayman  :P, or Michael Kwiatkowski,  Aleksander Kristoff, John Degenkolb. If you can win the MSR, the finish here, from a small group, should be relatively straight forward :) Quickstep will do everything they can to make these guys tired.

As for the long range attacks, there will be a lot of watching what the others do and marking and destructive tactics, but a true outsider like Vincenzo Nibali might be allowed up the road, and it will be hard to catch him if quickstep already played a few cards and the other teams need to decide between them who will do the chasing.

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3916
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen 2018
    « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:24 »
    De Ronde Van Vlaanderen
    Sunday 1st April 2018

The classics have delivered some great racing so far - but the best is yet to come with Flanders and Roubaix finally upon us.

The Route

266.5 kilometres of awesomeness.  Eighteen hills and five stretches of pave ... including the epic Muur.

The Tour of Flanders has changed the route numerous times over the course of its 100+ editions. The 2018 race will be the second time that the race has started in Antwerp rather than in Bruges, which had hosted the race since 1998.

After being left out from 2011 to 2016, the Muur Van Geraardsbergen returned last year and features again this year.

We start in Antwerp and from there the race heads towards the town of Oudenaarde, and after a couple of preliminary cobbled sectors the race starts a sequence of circuits.

The first of these starts with the Oude Kwaremont - the only climb to feature in the race three times - and heads out to Geraarsbergen for the Muur, before returning to Oudenaarde and commencing two shorter laps, in which the Paterberg and Koppenberg both feature.

The final ascent tops out with 13.2km to go - and then its a race to the finish.

0km Start in Antwerp
    87km Lippenhovestraat (cobbles) 1.3km
    89km Paddestraat (cobbles) 1.5km
    121km Oude Kwaremont 2.2km
    132km Kortekeer 1km
    137km Edelare 1.5km
    142.2km Wolvenberg 0.64km
    142.3km Holleweg (cobbles) 1.5km
    148km Haaghoek (cobbles) 2km
    151km Leberg 0.95km
    155km Berendries 0.94km
    160km Tenbosse 0.45km
    170km Muur/Kapelmuur 0.74km
    189km Pottelberg 1.35km
    195km Kanarieberg 1km
    211km Oude Kwaremont 2.2km
    214km Paterberg 0.36km
    221km Koppenberg 0.7km
    225km Mariaborrestraat (cobbles) 2km
    226km Steenbeekdries 0.7km
    229km Taaienberg 0.53km
    240km Kruisberg 2.5km
    250km Oude Kwaremont 2.2km
    253km Paterberg 0.36km
    267km Finish in Oudenaarde

Previous Years

Last year saw Quickstep controlling things for a very long time before Philippe Gilbert attacked on the second time on the Oude Kwaremont and stayed away until the end.  He certainly benefited from the crash of Peter Sagan (who took Van Avermaet and Naeson with him) who all looked very strong and may well have caught him.  GVA ended up getting up to finish second, with Terpstra rounding out the podium

Sagan will once again ride in the Rainbows of the world champion, and hopes to repeat his victory in 2016 where he took his first and only monument - also wearing the rainbow jersey.

There are quite a few others who are looking at taking the crown though - and the racing will certainly be on early.

Previous Winners

2017: Phillipe Gilbert (bel)
    2016: Peter Sagan (svk)
    2015: Alexander Kristoff (nor)
    2014: Fabian Cancellara (swi)
    2013: Fabian Cancellara (swi)
    2012: Tom Boonen (bel)
    2011: Nick Nuyens (bel)
    2010: Fabian Cancellara (swi, image)
    2009: Stijn Devolder (bel)
    2008: Stijn Devolder (bel)
    2007: Alessandro Ballan (ita)
    2006: Tom Boonen (bel)
    2005: Tom Boonen (bel)
    2004: Steffen Wesemann (ger)
    2003: Peter Van Petegem (bel)
    2002: Andrea Tafi (ita)
    2001: Gianluca Bortolami (ita)
    2000: Andrei Tchmil (ita)

This years Contenders

Quickstep come here with a superstar squad who will be sure to try hard to keep control of the racing, but which of them will get the go ahead?  Terpstra, Gilbert, Stybar and even the youngster Lampaert will all be keen

Sagan has brought in the talended superdom Daniel Oss to beef up his support and after winning GW is looking good.  Greg Van Avermaet hasnt had the red hot spring of last year, but looks to be much more content and confident in himself and is a very strong chance

Sep Van Marcke must surely get a change of luck soon, Trentin in a new team looks strong, Naeson (if he recovers from a crash at DDV) is also looking good, Tiesj Benoot has had a very strong spring after taking out Strade Bianchi ... the list goes on.

And this year we have the wild card of Vincenzo Nibali fresh from his win at Milan San Remo and keen to add to his monument palmares - and with Haussler and Sonny Colbrelli to support him, who knows.

Then we have the likes of John Degenkolb and Alexander Kristoff - monument winners both and incredibly strong cyclists who might not have shown the form so far this spring, but you can never write off.

*****  Sagan, GVA, Gilbert
    **** Terpstra, Naeson,
    *** Van Marcke
    ** Nibali
    * Van Aert, Kristoff

Startlist

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-flanders-start-list-2018-322833
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 268
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 10:21 »
    Very excited about this year's edition. There are quite a few contenders for the win but for me it's all about who will animate the race. On that point I really believe Van Aert wil be instrumental in forcing the big break.I don't think he'll win it as there are too many established big hitters hungry for it so I think he'll look to make his mark by being the King maker.
  • ReplyReply
  • Giving my view on life, cycling and the desire to do a sub 26min 10mTT on the Isle of Man @JaunePeril

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10916
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 11:16 »
    2 previews you guys  :D

Recon this will be the race of the year.

Ofc I can't watch  :lol

Recon we might see a Devolder type win. Be cool if GVA won. Would balance out the Classic stars win lists nicely
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 12:34 »
    I have to say - I dont think either Sagan or Greg Van Avermaet are in the form they were last year.   Not saying neither will win - they are clearly going to be up there ... just last year both were on the very top of their game and this year they seem to be a bit off.

It does also make me laugh a little the hype about Quickstep.  They have always had a team full of stars ... but its only the last year or so that they have managed to actually have the tactics to put their stars to good use.  It was only 2 years ago that they had 3 of the final 4 off the front and still lost  :lol  And that result was pretty typical of the way they did things.

It also amuses me a little that the likes of BMC complain about the strenth of Quickstep.  How long did GVA and Phil ride together - and with Oss and Burghardt.  At one point they had Thor Hushovd as well.

For this race - I think everyone will watch Quickstep way too much, and someone else will ride off with it
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 12:48 »
    I'm not so sure about Sagan. I was discussing this with a mate last Saturday after E3 on the Friday. We both reached the conclusion that Sagan was keeping his power dry for GW on the Sunday and trying to fly as much under the radar as possible.Lo and behold up he pops just when he needs to.

My thoughts on Van Avermaet are that because he has had no results he is beginning to get a bit desperate and that's not the best state if mind for making race decisions.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 415
    « Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 13:32 »
     :(

Still miss Spartacus

Can't wait though

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6955
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 16:29 »
    For this race - I think everyone will watch Quickstep way too much, and someone else will ride off with it
    This could very well happen.
    But, can they watch all seven #quickstep riders? It's also possible that one of them is in a move nobody chases down (because they don't rate it, or because they just don't have the manpower (anymore)).
    Podium of #quickstep Sénéchal, #bmc Drucker, #lotto De Buyst? :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 22:14 »
    Senechal is obviously on the list to be the stealth guy at Quickstep. With a relatively short list of memorable results he is the one that all teams think is safe to let go, but that won't help, of course. When the others are in Gerardsbergen, he'll already be riding solo into Oudenarde  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2305
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 22:28 »
     No preview of the Ronde is complete without these.

Or this.

I'll be having my selection of both, come Sunday. :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11347
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 22:33 »
    Senechal should keep his powder dry till Roubaix I think - that's the one he really can win. In the Ronde it's very unusual to see an outsider win, and I doubt it'll change
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11347
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 07:38 »
    first star ratings coming in:

*be Het Nieuwsblad
    :*:*:*:*:* Sagan
    :*:*:*:* van Avermaet, Gilbert
    :*:*:* Benoot, Vanmarcke, Kwiatkowski
    :*:* Terpstra, Stybar, Trentin, Stuyven
    :* Nibali, Naesen, van Aert, Moscon, Lampaert
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 10:33 »
    Blogger INRNG doesnt give star ratings, but chainrings. I guess that counts for the same:

? INRNG
    :*:*:*:*:*    –
    :*:*:*:* Peter Sagan, Philippe Gilbert
    :*:*:* Greg Van Avermaet, Niki Terpstra
    :*:* Sep Vanmarcke, Michał Kwiatkowski, Tiesj Benoot
    :* Lampaert, Naesen, Štybar, Moscon, Roelandts, Boasson Hagen, Trentin, Stuyven, WvA
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 10:47 »
    Aleksander Kristoff admits that both himself and teamwork in #uae has some improvement potential, but also says he has been catching a cold and that's why he's not been in top shape lately.[1]

Comments from me
    • Cycling RvV in cold rainy weather must be perfect way to recover from a cold!  :-x
    • Attempt at flying under the radar? Look like it works, he's not in any of the star lists above.
    • This guy consistently DNF's or finishes top 10 in monuments he's started in in the last 3 years.
    • He has a problem with the Taaienberg but owns the Paterberg if he's in shape.
     1. (source: report at nrk.no: https://www.nrk.no/sport/bekymret-kristoff-sar-tvil-om-egne-sjanser-1.13985080)
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 415
    « Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 13:31 »
    Usual favourites, partisan feelings to one side is WVA the unity candidate - anyone not keen to see him win?

I don't think it will happen, but would be good to see wouldn't it if your man doesn't win?
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 14:04 »
    Van Marcke is due a big result but his chances seem to evaporate as son as the cobbles disappear and smooth road surfaces take over. He could really do with the last 3km of P-R being cobbled including the velodrome, just in case.
    Not sure he can see RVV through to a successful conclusion.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1454
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 16:31 »
    In this years monumental moment's: (drumroll) time for number 2 (even more drumrolls, trumpets etc)

De ronde van Vlaanderen!

(TATAAA TTAAT A AT TAT A TA!)

Blogger INRNG doesnt give star ratings, but chainrings. I guess that counts for the same:

? INRNG
    :*:*:*:*:*    –
    :*:*:*:* Peter Sagan, Philippe Gilbert
    :*:*:* Greg Van Avermaet, Niki Terpstra
    :*:* Sep Vanmarcke, Michał Kwiatkowski, Tiesj Benoot
    :* Lampaert, Naesen, Štybar, Moscon, Roelandts, Boasson Hagen, Trentin, Stuyven, WvA

Inrng is being kinda stingy, eh?

The tension is rising in my household! We spoke of sadism recently (http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=8977.0;message=2238920) - and today I AM wishing thoughts for the weather! Hoping for that rain! The peloton will be miserable, but it should be a great race!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6654
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 17:24 »
    Yeah, I hear you, Mellow. Got a neat stack of Rochefort 8s (10 is too icky).

All being well, Uncle Search will be our man on the ground tomorrow.

Like a proper fan, I spent today, the eve of the Ronde, riding bits of the parcours of ... the Brabantse Pijl :lol

But anyway, this year's race looks quite wide open. Despite an excellent Classics run so far, #quickstep could still screw this one up, and fewbody will want to work with Sagan. The field is so top heavy in that way, it could well give us a second string winner, but almost anyone who wins this will deserve it. I think Nuyens was the only slightly disappointing result I can remember.

I'd love to see Benoot take it, but I think there won't be a solo winner this year, so that pretty much counts him out unless he gets away under the kite.

The best thing though, I think, will be seeing what Nibali can do. He has entered that stage in his career where he's riding on grace, really, and you can see that he's enjoying himself. GVA was a bit the same after the Olympics: his interviews these days are very warm and friendly.

As I write this, it has been raining for a couple of hours and rain is all but guaranteed tomorrow. Epic stuff awaits.  :P
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 17:28 »
    Miserable conditions for tomorrow, surely Benoot's stock is rising then?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 17:32 »
    Miserable conditions for tomorrow, surely Benoot's stock is rising then?

I still think he gives too much away in a group situation but someday for sure. :)
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 902
    « Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 19:48 »
    I think tomorrow could be won by a sort of 2nd tier rider. A group of supposedly less threatening riders gets away with 40 - 60 to go including at least one rider from most of the big teams. No one takes up the chase and its decided in a sprint between about 5 riders 60 - 90 seconds ahead of the peloton.

Now that I've said that this is what will happen the 1 - 2 - 3 will be Sagan, Van Aver Maert, Gilbert.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #21 on: March 31, 2018, 23:00 »
    Usual favourites, partisan feelings to one side is WVA the unity candidate - anyone not keen to see him win?

Me! If I am going to cheer for a legendary outsider to win it, it will be #bahrain Vincenzo!
    (find all this fuzz about an also-ran at the Tour of Norway  a bit unusual  :P)
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 144
    « Reply #22 on: March 31, 2018, 23:10 »
    I have to say - I dont think either Sagan or Greg Van Avermaet are in the form they were last year.   Not saying neither will win - they are clearly going to be up there ... just last year both were on the very top of their game and this year they seem to be a bit off.

It does also make me laugh a little the hype about Quickstep.  They have always had a team full of stars ... but its only the last year or so that they have managed to actually have the tactics to put their stars to good use.  It was only 2 years ago that they had 3 of the final 4 off the front and still lost  :lol  And that result was pretty typical of the way they did things.

It also amuses me a little that the likes of BMC complain about the strenth of Quickstep.  How long did GVA and Phil ride together - and with Oss and Burghardt.  At one point they had Thor Hushovd as well.

You're right about Sagan and van Avermaet, but then except Terpstra, Benoot and Stuyven nobody seems to have the form they had last year. I still think Sagan is above everybody else but #quickstep most probably will have the numbers in the finale. And if the Quicksteppers and Sagan don't work together Sagan might mark any Quickstep move and someone else might sneak away. That way Vanmarcke or Benoot could actually win.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 00:41 »

Phil to go back to back of course  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1454
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 04:07 »
    . . .
    Phil to go back to back of course  :cool

Well, well, well. It appears we have something of a streak to consider!
    https://twitter.com/RondeVlaanderen/status/980050783059300353
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10916
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #25 on: April 01, 2018, 07:31 »
    Wet overcast and slippery is the morning reports
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2305
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #26 on: April 01, 2018, 09:13 »
     I don't know what it is like out on course, but Antwerp is just dry and overcast.
    Sporza going to town with the signing on, as ever.
    Huge crowd in the square.
    Just had QS presented and an interview with Sagan.
    He sounded in a great mood.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 09:47 »
    I don't know what it is like out on course, but Antwerp is just dry and overcast.
    Sporza going to town with the signing on, as ever.
    Huge crowd in the square.
    Just had QS presented and an interview with Sagan.
    He sounded in a great mood.

Rain stopped here for the moment, everything wet, but it looks like the rain will come on again mid-afternoon. Further west in the race's core area, however, they should not see any more rain for the rest of the day.
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 18:04 »
    Super edition, i really enjoyed it. Great win by Terpstra but i can't help feeling he isn't getting the credit he deserves in some quarters. Benoot and Van Aert both had great races which bodes well for the future of the sport. I just love pro cycling!
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #29 on: April 02, 2018, 08:33 »
    for the records, someone needs to post the results :)

Quickstep won just like everybody thought they were most likely to do it, not just with the strongest rider but also with successfully applying numerical superiority, which has been a challenge in the past.   :)

The moderate surprise was #trek *dk Mads Pedersen, actually matching Terpstra quite well at the end except at the Oude Kwaremont and Paterberg. Only a moderate surprise because despite not having shown monumental class before, he definetly was in good shape in the last few races. What impressed me a lot was that he did not burst, despite throwing a desperate dig to stay on Terpstra's wheel. He held on and managed to keep the much larger chase group at bay,  to win 2nd place. He's about 10 years younger than Terpstra so I will put some money on him winning this race before he retires.

The comic relief for me was #bahrain Vincenzo Nibali's attack: "I am a shark, I can bite .....dust!" and the way it turned out, for him there was a role reversal compared to the Milano-San Remo. Vincenzo became the new #academy *lv Kris Neilands - the rookie initiating the winning move, but lacking the strength to finish it, successfully exploited by a much more experienced competitor.

Another comic relief was the full stop at Koppenberg which served to separate out the finalists. Did anyone catch what really happened? Was that #katusha Tony Martin in the big ring trying to get up there?

Tony Martin seems to be at the center of some controversy as #fdj are more or less mobbing him on social media, blaming him for forcing Anoine Duchesne off the road, causing the big crash of the day. From the video it seems like there is a #fdj rider going into the ditch on the far side of the road before the big crash happens, at more or less the same location (someone twisted their head to see what was happening and then that was it?).

It is far from obvious that #katusha Tony Martin is involved and maybe #fdj need to discsuss how they manage their credibility. Gianni Moscon received very much the same treatment last year after the Reza and Reichenbach incidents, and if only #fdj has a big problem with Tony Martin, are we going to believe them when it comes to #sky Moscon?

It takes a bit of evidence to support a claim that a crash on a narrow belgian lane at a moment of heated racing in the peloton is caused by ill will and/or lack of competence. It happens all the time and involves many of the supposed best racers in these terrains, and without further evidence it just serves to degrade #fdj 's claims they have been mistreated at other occasions.

This race moves Terpstra into the multi-monument-winner group, the elite of the elite of one-day racers, is that recognized at all in the Netherlands? To me it seems he's not really a celebrated rider there, like the Belgians adopted him because he was an unwanted Dutch child or something...

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 12:23 by LukasCPH »