collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1447
Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen 2018
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2018, 08:43 »
I haven't had time to read all the reviews on the many boards but I hope that this time Sagan-fanboys won't have the balls to weep that nobody's working along with the icon...

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 406
    « Reply #31 on: April 02, 2018, 09:17 »
    i could weep

Did no one want to ride in with Sagan...

:D
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 879
    « Reply #32 on: April 02, 2018, 17:59 »
    Unless I've got the time line of the race mixed up in my head in the 24 hours since it finished i think Bora paniced when they stuck Oss on the front. The gap was only about 30 seconds to the 3 in front and it wouldn't have been a problem to pull back but it meant they used up their last team mate. If they'd have held up on burning Oss it would have switched the pressure onto Quickstep to use up one or 2 of the riders they had to initially bring the lead group back. Having said that the way Terpstra won it looks likely that he was the best on the day so it didn't really matter.

On the DSQ of Rowe in the race it seemed harsh to me. Had the spectators been standing on the pavement rather than the road/cycle lane I think nothing would even have been said about it. He didn't mount a kerb to end up where he did so it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that the spectators should not have been standing in that area.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6644
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #33 on: April 03, 2018, 11:07 »
    On the DSQ of Rowe in the race it seemed harsh to me. Had the spectators been standing on the pavement rather than the road/cycle lane I think nothing would even have been said about it. He didn't mount a kerb to end up where he did so it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that the spectators should not have been standing in that area.

I think you got it exactly: it was the presence of the spectators that did for him and the fact that, although it is perhaps less obvious from the overhead shot, that is a crazy fast descent so it will have looked scary from the ground and for the spectators.

The TV commentators confirmed that he had been DQ'd but I don't think Rowe himself got to know about it immediately because, iirc, he was still up there for a while before dropping out.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2296
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #34 on: April 03, 2018, 13:33 »
    FDJ riders take to twitter again, to point the accusatory finger
    This time they have Tony Martin in their crosshairs: blaming him for causing the big crash, that took out Lutsenko and took down Naesen, Valgren et al.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/fdj-riders-round-on-tony-martin-to-accuse-him-of-causing-massive-tour-of-flanders-crash-video-375154
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 17:33 by LukasCPH »
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2649
    « Reply #35 on: April 03, 2018, 22:24 »
    FDJ riders take to twitter again, to point the accusatory finger
    This time they have Tony Martin in their crosshairs: blaming him for causing the big crash, that took out Lutsenko and took down Naesen, Valgren et al.

:snooty

Tony Martin seems to be at the center of some controversy as #fdj are more or less mobbing him on social media, blaming him for forcing Anoine Duchesne off the road, causing the big crash of the day. From the video it seems like there is a #fdj rider going into the ditch on the far side of the road before the big crash happens, at more or less the same location (someone twisted their head to see what was happening and then that was it?).

It is far from obvious that #katusha Tony Martin is involved and maybe #fdj need to discsuss how they manage their credibility. Gianni Moscon received very much the same treatment last year after the Reza and Reichenbach incidents, and if only #fdj has a big problem with Tony Martin, are we going to believe them when it comes to #sky Moscon?

It takes a bit of evidence to support a claim that a crash on a narrow belgian lane at a moment of heated racing in the peloton is caused by ill will and/or lack of competence. It happens all the time and involves many of the supposed best racers in these terrains, and without further evidence it just serves to degrade #fdj 's claims they have been mistreated at other occasions.

:)
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3915
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #36 on: April 04, 2018, 00:54 »
    while the video isnt very clear - I am assuming the guy who was pushed into the ditch is pretty clear who did the squeezing ... so I am assuming it was indeed Big Tony who was next to him at the time 

but there are 2 sides to every story, and without video evidence I am loathe to accuse anyone as accounts of what happens in that split second tends to vary greatly depending on which side of the telling you are doing.

Its things like that that are usually held closer and not accused in public.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2649
    « Reply #37 on: April 04, 2018, 06:28 »
    Exactly, we don’t know and they probably don’t know either what was happening on the other side of Tony Martin. If he refused to give room, maybe he didn’t have any room to give?

The general impression is that there are a lot of cyclists going  fast on a narrow lane. That is high risk in itself, and participants, including #fdj must accept that accidents and incidents will happen, or they are the ones that should focus on the ITT.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1446
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #38 on: April 04, 2018, 18:57 »
    . . . like the Belgians adopted him because he was an unwanted Dutch child or something...

Worth repeating for that bit alone!  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1446
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #39 on: April 04, 2018, 19:00 »
    Unless I've got the time line of the race mixed up in my head in the 24 hours since it finished i think Bora paniced when they stuck Oss on the front. The gap was only about 30 seconds to the 3 in front and it wouldn't have been a problem to pull back but it meant they used up their last team mate. If they'd have held up on burning Oss it would have switched the pressure onto Quickstep to use up one or 2 of the riders they had to initially bring the lead group back. Having said that the way Terpstra won it looks likely that he was the best on the day so it didn't really matter.

I agree. Certainly, in hindsight, Oss burned it up too early.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.