collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 10428
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
"If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 5969
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: Ardennes Classics
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2018, 18:23 »
"WELLENS DISILLUSIONED IN TEAMMATE JELLE"

https://www.wielerkrant.be/nl/nieuws/lees/2018-04-19/lotto-kopman-tim-wellens-ontgoocheld-in-ploegmaat-jelle-vanendert-dat-was-niet-de-afspraak

"I had good legs and Jelle started working for me, but apparently he changed his mind in the final phase and took his own chance, which was not the agreement,"

Media stirring to me, but if Tim had the legs he could have stayed on Jelle's wheels.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #32 on: April 19, 2018, 18:35 »
    yeah, Jelle said he was leading him out, but when he turned around and saw Alaphilippe's eyes instead he knew that Wellens didn't have the legs anyway. So he went for it - and rightly so
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #33 on: April 19, 2018, 19:10 »
    there are more guys claiming they had good legs by the way...

https://twitter.com/DanMartin86/status/986678624907661312

I didn't find any photos or videos from the crash itself (happening at the foot of the muur, the tv coverage only showed Pachon and so on on the ground), but according to some other statements, Bardet and Henao came down in that one as well.

I found some video coverage on Youtube though, taken right afterwards (better turn off the sound! :D)

at 1:24 you can see Alaphilippe flying past (so he must have been held up as well), Henao at 1:29, Bardet at 1:30 and Dan Martin just three seconds after - so with good legs, it should have been no problem to make it back.

Another one who comes through at relatively high speed is Ion Izagirre at 1:42, so I guess he must have been affected as well.

#sky Sergio Henao said that he had problems with his bike resulting from the crash btw, unable to change it until the finish
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5969
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #34 on: April 19, 2018, 19:27 »
    HHHHHEEYYYYYY HHHEYYYYYYYYY HHEEEEEEEY HEY HHHHHEYYYYYYY HHHEYYYYYYYYYYY Kwiatkowski HHHHHEYYYYYYYY HEYYYYYYYY HEYYYYYYYY HHHHEYYYYYYYYY HEYYYYYYYYYYYY HHHHHHHHHHEYYY Valverde HHHHEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HHHHHHHHHHHEYYYYYYYYY etc etc
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #35 on: April 19, 2018, 19:31 »
    I told you to turn off the sound :P
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2056
    « Reply #36 on: April 19, 2018, 21:47 »
    HHHHHEEYYYYYY HHHEYYYYYYYYY HHEEEEEEEY HEY HHHHHEYYYYYYY HHHEYYYYYYYYYYY Kwiatkowski HHHHHEYYYYYYYY HEYYYYYYYY HEYYYYYYYY HHHHEYYYYYYYYY HEYYYYYYYYYYYY HHHHHHHHHHEYYY Valverde HHHHEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HHHHHHHHHHHEYYYYYYYYY etc etc

Love it! We need more spectators like this.  :D 

(my own videos from last years World Championship here goes very much the same way  :lol )
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #37 on: April 20, 2018, 22:15 »
    Liège-Bastogne-Liège

more or less the same as usual. Hopefully the race will still be a bit better at least. Having Nibali around may help
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #38 on: April 21, 2018, 08:02 »
    *be Het Nieuwsblad
    :*:*:*:*:* Valverde
    :*:*:*:* Nibali, Alaphilippe
    :*:*:* Wellens, Fuglsang, Kwiatkowski
    :*:* Benoot, Bardet, Matthews, Costa
    :* Vanendert, Teuns, Martin, Valgren, Kreuziger

*nl de Telegraaf
    :*:*:*:*:* Alaphilippe, Valverde
    :*:*:*:* Nibali, Wellens, Matthews
    :*:*:* Mollema, Kreuziger, Fuglsang, Vanendert
    :*:* Henao, Kwiatkowski, Gilbert, Teuns, Valgren
    :* Dumoulin, Poels, Thomas, Gasparotto, Izagirre, Zakarin, Albasini, Impey, Costa
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #39 on: April 21, 2018, 14:07 »
    more or less the same as usual. Hopefully the race will still be a bit better at least. Having Nibali around may help

At the Fleche Wallone one could speculate that we saw for the first time a real effect of the manning reduction and now 7-rider teams in WT races. If there is a defined favorite team in a group, other teams can more easily drill them to pieces by putting some moderate threats in the breakaway or simply refuse to cooperate. #movistar Movistar was down to Valverde only in the finale, but then again, that's not necessarily so bad for them.  :P

The longer and harder route of the LBL should open up for tiriring out a couple of teams if someone decided to set up the finale to start a lot earlier than the final little hill in Ans. #bahrain Nibali is of course the most likely to set up such a move, but don't count out #sky, #lotto, #astana either. Again there isn't a whole lot positive to making it into Ans in the kopgroep if you want to win the race, and #movistar Valverde is there too. Everyone on Alejandro!  :)
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3699
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #40 on: April 22, 2018, 01:33 »
    yeah I have to admit I was a bit surprised at Fleche Wallonne that there were a few other teams willing to work with Valverde.  I honestly thought when a biggish group with a bunch of riders (and no Movistar) went, that that would be it.  They would all ride incredibly hard to distance the peleton and count Valverde out.

But they didnt ride hard enough - and Movistar chased very well.  A smaller group stayed out front and other teams eventually helped Movistar chase them back, which is fair enough ...

If that kind of thing happens here, I expect a lot of groups riding to get rid of Valverde
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #41 on: April 22, 2018, 09:17 »
    *fr l'Équipe
    :*:*:*:*:* Alaphilippe, Valverde
    :*:*:*:* /
    :*:*:* Matthews, Wellens, Nibali
    :*:* Teuns, Kreuziger, Bardet
    :* Vanendert, D. Martin, Valgren, Fuglsang, Kwiatkowski, Albasini, I. Izagirre

*it Gazzetta dello Sport
    :*:*:*:*:* Nibali, Alaphilippe, Valverde
    :*:*:*:* Kreuziger, Fuglsang
    :*:*:* Wellens, Bardet
    :*:* Valgren, Matthews
    :* Gilbert, Kwiatkowski
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #42 on: April 22, 2018, 17:59 »
    No one listed Jungels?   :cool

Despite me falling asleep before Le Redoute (just coming in from a bike ride may also have caused this), the most interesting edition of LBL I have watched. Which tells a lot, both ways.

Anyway, #quickstep Bob Jungels have been riding at a high level for a long time, yet is one of those riders that seem to improve with infinitesmally small steps every year. Sooner or later he was destined to win something big. Today, he ended his long crescendo and in the future, he'll be watched by many more.

Great to see this race won by attacking some way out.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 23:06 by LukasCPH »

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1016
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #43 on: April 22, 2018, 18:12 »
    I haven't watched it yet - downloading the recording now - but it sounds like a good one! I have to say, this has been another crackin' spring! Last year was great through the Giro, then I thought it went kinda flat. But you all know why I would say that, right? Just your basic Froome-gag. Until, that is, the Race of the Falling Leaves - another lovely edition!

So far, we've had lots of drama, and lots of riders who "should have" won in the past actually doing it this year! Great stuff!

Jungels has been hovering near the front for some time now. Great to see him break thru that ceiling!
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3699
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #44 on: April 23, 2018, 00:59 »
    dont bother watching until after La Redoute though  ;)

I am super happy that a solo winner made it though.  Might make a few more attackers next time around.  Jungels was ably assisted by both Alaphilippe who blocked several moves himself and the other favourites in the front group who would not go when Alaphilippe was marking ...  There were lots of attempts to bridge, but none stuck and no one wanted to actually chase as a group

• ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1016
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #45 on: April 23, 2018, 01:08 »
    dont bother watching until after La Redoute though  ;)

I am super happy that a solo winner made it though.  Might make a few more attackers next time around.  Jungels was ably assisted by both Alaphilippe who blocked several moves himself and the other favourites in the front group who would not go when Alaphilippe was marking ...  There were lots of attempts to bridge, but none stuck and no one wanted to actually chase as a group

Loved it. Jungels attacks a ways up la Redoute, and a bunch of players stay with him. Even at the top, they are still together. Then, AFTER the top, Jungels keeps the pace high, and just rolls off the front. In no time at all, he's got a gap. Valverde realizes, a bit late, he's missed the move and tries to bridge, but gets shut down soon enough. Wow - what a lovely spring!

Vanendert made a decent stab at bridging ~5-6 km out, on the (next to?) last climb, but it wasn't enough. It spoke volumes that Jungels was on the drops in the drag home, while Vanendert was on the hoods.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:23 by M Gee »

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6151
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #46 on: April 23, 2018, 14:12 »
    Good race and the first year I've seen the coverage early enough to see how the pros tackle some of the climbs I've had an opportunity to ride for myself in the meantime.

The Col du Rosier, for example, is where the BOTD came completely unstuck. I love that climb, it's one of the few in Belgium of any real distance that keeps a steady gradient most of the way up. Then you had, iirc, the Maquisard and La Redoute in quick succession. I just cannot imagine that.

Last time I was at the roadside for LBL, we went to La Roche aux Faucons, where Jungels rode away. That is a savage climb after all of the above and I remember that the riders looked so different on the ground than they did on television. They all looked absolutely wrecked. A near 20km solo after that is something difficult to contemplate.

The race ended rather like other Classics: deadlock between the favourites and an opportunistic escape. Not to say that it made things somehow dull, the result was by no means certain until Jungels pulled away again beyond Saint-Nicholas.

Much is made of the so-called "breakthrough result" and this is surely Jungels'. He is still just 25, of course, he has just been on the radar for so long already.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Race Calendar

Recent Posts