collapse

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1902
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2015, 23:55 »
One of the best that I've had in a very long time...

http://www.allagash.com/beer/tribute-series/fluxus-2014?ao_confirm
ALLAGASH

Fluxus 2014

ale brewed with spruce tips and honey

8.8% Alc. By Vol.

Smooth, clean and delicious. Wow.

I highly recommend!  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #121 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19 »
    Ah, this old thread, I do love it.

Last week I had this rather exotic porter brewed in Estonia, brought all the way from Tallinn by an Estonian friend of mine.

I was surprised at how smooth it was, with a slightly rooty note in there with all the usual smoky malt flavours one would expect from a porter.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:22 by L'arri »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 826
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    « Reply #122 on: January 16, 2015, 13:31 »
    I highly recommend anything from these guys, although only available in the UK at the moment (and one bar in Stockholm).
    http://www.magicrockbrewing.com/our-beers/

They recently won a Best Brewery in the World competition on a pretty big beer blog, beating the likes of Brooklyn and Sierra Nevada.
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 362
    « Reply #123 on: January 16, 2015, 14:26 »
    Also a fun app for those that drink a lot of beer: the untappd

Most every beer is on there, so far have only come across one beer that I drank that was not on there. You can find ratings and leave ratings and really take stock of what you drink and whether you already had something and what you thought of it
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    « Reply #124 on: January 17, 2015, 12:47 »
    I just spend almost 25 euro on just 3 beers :fp

2 from Brewdog: the Tokyo* (no longer in production) and the Paradox Heaven Hill
    And a more relaxed smoked beer from Belgium a La Fumette

Really looking forward to trying the paradox heaven hill
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #125 on: January 17, 2015, 16:49 »
    I went to my favourite drankenhandel this afternoon and selected a crate's worth (24) of beers which came to a total of EUR 41.81.

This crate includes some of my faves - like Sint Bernardus 12 (brewed in Watou), Ellezelles Hercule (brewed in Ellezelles) and 't Nieuwhuys Alpaïde (brewed in Hoegaarden) - and the rest are wildcards.

Looking forward to destroying a few of those. I'll post them whenever I can be bothered.
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    « Reply #126 on: January 17, 2015, 20:13 »
    I can really recommend the Paradox Heaven Hill, a really nice beer, a bit of a coffee taste, notes of chocolate, a really well rounded and very complex beer

Also had a Leffe Nectar, but really that is not my kind of beer, did not enjoy that one
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 20:27 by barrus »

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #127 on: January 25, 2015, 20:09 »
    Well this is certainly interesting. One of these places is opening in my town...tomorrow!  :cool

http://worldofbeer.com

Get your taste buds ready because we have a staggering selection of craft beers on tap and available in cans and bottles, with over 500 different beers from more than 40 countries. World of Beer partners with thousands of craft breweries to source more than 8,000 unique beers from around the globe. At any one time, one of our World of Beer locations will have more than 500 of these beers in the cooler and 50 on tap.
    :o

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #128 on: January 25, 2015, 20:24 »
    Well this is certainly interesting. One of these places is opening in my town...tomorrow!  :cool

Hmmmm. Hope those big fridges don't have any bottle-fermented/-conditioned beers in them. Because if you store and serve such 'real' beers below eight degrees it will kill them completely.

I remember once ordering a Rochefort 8, which is normally a superb brew, in a crappy 'Irish' bar downtown and when it arrived it had been through the full fridge treatment. Tasted like Coca Cola. Horrible. Never again.

:P

Not saying that's the story there but I'd be very suspicious of buying short-run bottles that had been stored like that.

Like with this 'Irish' bar, when so much care and attention goes into the brewing, and the reputation takes so long to earn and then they come from so far away, it's demoralising when the drinker gets the impression that they're unremarkable because the bar has completely destroyed what makes them so characterful.
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    « Reply #129 on: January 25, 2015, 20:29 »

Probably best to quote it from the shoutbox :P

A bit more of a global spread and a bit more beers on tap than I'm used to ;)
    But the best thing about it (the my favourite beer bars in Amsterdam have the same) is the fact that their selection changes and you get the more exotic and strange beers from smaller breweries, types of beers that you've never tried.
    that's also why I like this small beer shop here (outside of the fact that it's the only one I've found with foreign beers) but the  fact that they keep changing the kinds of beer they have

Although when I look at that website I would be scared that they will mainly focus on those beers that are in fashion, which could well mean that a large part of their selection will be quite similar and often not too good
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #130 on: January 25, 2015, 20:51 »
    Hmmmm. Hope those big fridges don't have any bottle-fermented/-conditioned beers in them. Because if you store and serve such 'real' beers below eight degrees it will kill them completely.

I'd be more than surprised if they were caught making such errors, especially since they're trying to establish themselves across the country as a place to enlighten the public to the finer nuances of craft beer. But I guess I'll just have to investigate first hand.
    :s

I am rather shocked that the news of the arrival of this place (it's opening tomorrow, so construction, hiring, etc, all must've been under way for some time) has eluded both myself and my friends. This morning I saw a short feature on the local news, otherwise I'd still be in the dark.

But I'm also realistic about such things. I expect the food to be overpriced and average at best, and for this place to be CROWDED beyond what is comfortable due to its location. It's right in the middle of a very new development, which has transformed a very affluent suburb into quite the destination spot. Most of the restaurants are regularly at capacity, in a town where most people seem to spend half their time trying to figure out ways to spend their money.

If this place catches on and develops a good reputation, it will be hideous for people such as myself. It will be "all the rage" and the place where trendy people will HAVE to be seen. At least for the short term. But then when summer arrives, the whole area where this is located becomes even MORE congested.

The one saving grace is that such a place may not be quite expensive enough for the obscenely wealthy locals. There are steak houses and other such venues within walking distance that will be more appealing to their bottomless expense accounts.

Did I just go on yet another tangential rant?  :-x

Anyway, in other news:
    There is a huge blizzard heading our way over the next few days, so maybe this the perfect time for me to investigate this establishment. They'll be all shiny, polished, new and fit to impress, and as long as they are actually open for business (and I can't imagine them closing on only their second day), I may be one of only a few patrons in attendance. 
    :P
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8857
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #131 on: January 25, 2015, 20:58 »
    I'd be more than surprised if they were caught making such errors, especially since they're trying to establish themselves across the country as a place to enlighten the public to the finer nuances of craft beer. But I guess I'll just have to investigate first hand.
    :s

usually those places are the worst  :P

but maybe this one is different, who knows
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #132 on: January 25, 2015, 21:01 »
    usually those places are the worst
    Yup, hence my concern.  ;)

But since the business itself is relatively recent, and this location will be brand new, my best opportunity for a good experience will likely be sooner rather than later.

To be continued...
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    « Reply #133 on: January 25, 2015, 21:03 »
    Yup, hence my concern.  ;)

But since the business itself is relatively recent, and this location will be brand new, my best opportunity for a good experience will likely be sooner rather than later.

To be continued...

Also if I read it right, it's a franchise system, so even if the brand wants to open up all across the country it doesn't mean that everyone will have the same standards. So you can't really depend just on that fact
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8857
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #134 on: January 25, 2015, 21:07 »
    usually those places are mainly attended by tourists, drinking the beer they use to drink at home at three times the price
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #135 on: January 25, 2015, 21:13 »
    Well there are a few things to consider here.

If they have 500+ bottles in stock, then that alone will make for an interesting experience, and one not readily available elsewhere.

And if they aren't well run, then they simply won't last in their chosen location. As I described, they have planted themselves at ground zero in a community that has very little tolerance for sub-standard service, etc. They will be neighboring two very big and successful franchises that have set the bar reasonably high in terms of overall standards.

All that being said, in a slightly different part of town there is a place called The Tap Room. It's an extension of what is a fairly successful restaurant that has been around for some time now. But The Tap Room has a horrible vibe about it. They, too, have a big beer selection, and a long wall full of various taps. But no one EVER talks about the place, and I've only ever spent money there once. The place is just cold and unfriendly, and with a  terrible staff. Clearly, the original restaurant is just towing this place along, but I'd be surprised if they make it through the summer.
    http://www.elbowroomct.com/welcome/#thetaproom

It looks good on paper, but I would never take anyone there.
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    « Reply #136 on: January 25, 2015, 21:13 »
    usually those places are mainly attended by tourists, drinking the beer they use to drink at home at three times the price

I doubt that's the case for this company if you look where they are located. I think these things are often for hipsters and beer snobs who think they know beer, but actually don't. So they'll be shocked when DB comes walking in and really knows something about beer  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #137 on: January 25, 2015, 21:18 »
    So they'll be shocked when DB comes walking in and really knows something about beer  :lol
    :D

Truth is, there is a pretty discerning crowd around these parts as of late. I have a few friends who brew their own stuff, micro-breweries on are the rise, and the recent arrival of three or four very impressive beer stores has done quite a bit to elevate the local palate and knowledge.

But these guys are not brewing their own anyway. They just need to supply the rest of us with the good stuff.  :)
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    « Reply #138 on: January 25, 2015, 21:26 »
    Well there are a few things to consider here.

If they have 500+ bottles in stock, then that alone will make for an interesting experience, and one not readily available elsewhere.

And if they aren't well run, then they simply won't last in their chosen location. As I described, they have planted themselves at ground zero in a community that has very little tolerance for sub-standard service, etc. They will be neighboring two very big and successful franchises that have set the bar reasonably high in terms of overall standards.

All that being said, in a slightly different part of town there is a place called The Tap Room. It's an extension of what is a fairly successful restaurant that has been around for some time now. But The Tap Room has a horrible vibe about it. They, too, have a big beer selection, and a long wall full of various taps. But no one EVER talks about the place, and I've only ever spent money there once. The place is just cold and unfriendly, and with a  terrible staff. Clearly, the original restaurant is just towing this place along, but I'd be surprised if they make it through the summer.
    http://www.elbowroomct.com/welcome/#thetaproom

It looks good on paper, but I would never take anyone there.

That place looks horrible for a good beer bar, with all those screens and everything, looks terrible
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #139 on: January 25, 2015, 21:58 »
    That place looks horrible for a good beer bar, with all those screens and everything, looks terrible
    Precisely.  ;)

Here's a place that I think both you and L'arri would quite enjoy.
    http://elicannons.com

They have very good food, and in addition to an extensive beer menu, they are also known for possessing quite an extensive selection of hot sauces (which, for some reason, they apparently make no mention of on their website). It's not my thing, personally, but if you like hot sauces, this is the place to go.

Here's another local place that has nothing but a great reputation, although I've yet to explore it myself.
    http://willimanticbrewingcompany.com

And finally, just one town away from me, is this latest entry into the scene. I've heard good things as well, but again, I've yet to make it there.
    http://fireflyhollowbrewing.com
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #140 on: January 26, 2015, 06:00 »
    Eli Cannon's does look like a drinker's pub. No ridiculousness, just good barrels well kept. One for my NY/CT bucket list when I get over there next? ;)

America ...

I visited a bar called Dutch Kills Centraal when I was in New York last. I was staying in Dutch Kills over the river there and, although the bar itself was unremarkable, the tap selection was very decent. Evidently, it attracted some actual Dutch people too, since I held a conversation in broken Dutch with some other drinkers.

Other than that, the Little Toad Creek Brewery in Silver City, NM was good for a couple after a long day stuck behind the Tour of the Gila caravan. They do like their IPAs down yonder.

Meanwhile, back in the old country ...

Boltmaker's Arms, Keighley, West Yorkshire. Now that is a bar.

We all thought we were too cool to go there as kids. Which is all the proof you need that this was a drinker's pub.

Taylor's is very uncommon outside of West Yorkshire but as fortune would have it, I found that slightly posh British supermarket chain Waitrose sold bottled Landlord when I was in London at Christmas. I was amazed to discover it south of the River Aire, let alone the River Trent.

I now have one bottle of Landlord in my bar at home, alongside my two remaining Westvleterens... waiting for a special occasion! :D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:15 by L'arri »

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 826
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    « Reply #141 on: January 27, 2015, 18:23 »
    Have to admit I'm not that big a fan of Landlord, just don't see the appeal. Will have to keep an eye out for that pub next time I'm back in West Yorkshire though.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #142 on: January 27, 2015, 20:08 »
    Have to admit I'm not that big a fan of Landlord, just don't see the appeal. Will have to keep an eye out for that pub next time I'm back in West Yorkshire though.  :cool

Acquired taste ...  :P but srsly, you can probably imagine how it goes.

When you live like I do in the world centre of craft beer and artisanal chocolate, sometimes all you want is a tin of Best and a Curly Wurly. :lol
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    « Reply #143 on: January 27, 2015, 22:29 »
    Acquired taste ...  :P but srsly, you can probably imagine how it goes.

When you live like I do in the world centre of craft beer and artisanal chocolate, sometimes all you want is a tin of Best and a Curly Wurly. :lol

What's wrong with a can of Best? Really I always enjoy it when I get back home, or a can of Amstel, just a nice cheap beer, after a hot day there is nothing better than a nice cold pilsener.

Also this is my favourite beer bar back home:

http://www.indewildeman.nl/

It's a bit of the beaten track and if you don't know where it is you're likely to miss it.

Most of the time they have around 20 beers on tap, with two or three regular ones and the rest rotating each month depending on what interesting stuff they can get from small breweries either locally or worldwide. Often times the owner, or the manager or other people travel to breweries to visit them and to make contacts and see whether they have something interesting
    It's quite a cosy little place with a reasonably nice people behind the bar (with the exception of one gloomy sour woman). It is a bit old fashioned, certain things are also not that well kept, but that is part of the charm
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #144 on: January 27, 2015, 23:50 »
    I'm enjoying this trend of location posting.  :)

Here's another local place that looks quite good on paper, but not one that I'm particularly fond of, for whatever reason (I tend to be very sensitive to places. It's a very polarizing issue for me).

This was actually the first time I've viewed their website. They fancy themselves to be quite "European," so I'm curious to get some perspective on that from the forum (if that's even possible from just viewing their website).
    http://www.thehalfdoorhfd.com

As for their claims of offering an affordable alternative to other places? Not so much. Last time there I spent nearly twice what I normally would. But I'm willing to give it another go. Maybe I just made the wrong choices last time.

They are under the same ownership as this small chain:
    http://www.planbburger.com/flash.html

Mostly good food, and quite a decent drink menu as well.

If you like burgers, this area of mine does certainly have some fine options available.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 00:01 by Drummer Boy »

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #145 on: January 27, 2015, 23:57 »
    In Brussels for me, it's usually Monk (hip), Le Coq (dive bar) and, less often nowadays, Moeder Lambic Fontainas (beer attraction / tourists).
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    « Reply #146 on: January 28, 2015, 00:23 »
    In Brussels for me, it's usually Monk (hip), Le Coq (dive bar) and, less often nowadays, Moeder Lambic Fontainas (beer attraction / tourists).

Monk seems okay, but the few times I went there it was too crowded to find a decent place to sit, if I am there I most often rather go the le bar des amis (it helps that they have quite a bit of nice friendly Flemish (female) staff ;) )

But more often I am found at Sounds in Ixelles, just because I like the live music they have there (only issue I have with that place is that the liquor is too expensive)
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    « Reply #147 on: January 28, 2015, 00:42 »
    I'm enjoying this trend of location posting.  :)

Here's another local place that looks quite good on paper, but not one that I'm particularly fond of, for whatever reason (I tend to be very sensitive to places. It's a very polarizing issue for me).

This was actually the first time I've viewed their website. They fancy themselves to be quite "European," so I'm curious to get some perspective on that from the forum (if that's even possible from just viewing their website).
    http://www.thehalfdoorhfd.com

As for their claims of offering an affordable alternative to other places? Not so much. Last time there I spent nearly twice what I normally would. But I'm willing to give it another go. Maybe I just made the wrong choices last time.

Mostly good food, and quite a decent drink menu as well.

If you like burgers, this area of mine does certainly have some fine options available.

Prices at least seem in line with food at pubs over in the Netherlands :P

What I need to laugh about was their selection of Dutch beers: Amstel light and Heineken light. No-one here drinks that sh*t, it isn't even sold over here, that has been created solely for the US market.
    For an Irish pub a very small selection of whiskeys (at least compared to the Irish pubs I know in Holland).
    Can't really see how that bar is looking itself though
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #148 on: January 28, 2015, 09:24 »
    Monk seems okay, but the few times I went there it was too crowded to find a decent place to sit, if I am there I most often rather go the le bar des amis (it helps that they have quite a bit of nice friendly Flemish (female) staff ;) )

But more often I am found at Sounds in Ixelles, just because I like the live music they have there (only issue I have with that place is that the liquor is too expensive)

Yeah, Bal, Sounds is great, despite the awful chairs and the bar prices. :D I haven't been for ages, I should get down there sometime. On nearby Fernand Cocq, there's also L'Amour Fou, which is good for a beer.

Bar des Amis I used to go to on dates, so nowadays I try not to be seen in there because you never know what blast from the past you might encounter. Small town problems. Ditto Goupil le Fol which is probably Brussels' ultimate weirdo bar.
    ;)

Do try Le Coq though, if ever you want somewhere quietish. Not really a place to meet the ladyshapes but it's also nederlandophone and the good stuff is cheap. I often go there with a female friend to drink genever and talk about failed romances.

And if you want to see old school Brussels, try either (or both) of A L'Imaige de Nostre-Dame and Au Bon Vieux Temps. Both great old joints with outside toilets, hidden away right in the centre of town. The old guys often just break out in a big sing-song there.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #149 on: January 28, 2015, 09:35 »
    Bar des Amis I used to go to on dates, so nowadays I try not to be seen in there because you never know what blast from the past you might encounter. Small town problems. Ditto Goupil le Fol which is probably Brussels' ultimate weirdo bar.
    ;)

L'arri: Breaking hearts across the continent.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Man Down - Injury Reports 2017 by ciranda
    [Today at 15:19]

Re: Stage 21 by t-72
    [Today at 12:23]

Re: Tour of Belgium by DJW
    [Today at 12:12]

Re: Tour of Belgium by Echoes
    [Today at 12:00]

Re: Stig Broeckx Recovery Thread by Echoes