collapse

cj2002

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3234
  • Honorary President
  • Awards: Best avatar 2012
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #240 on: May 11, 2015, 15:27 »
If you live near there, CJ, I will pay you a visit next time. I hope to be over more regularly due to developing business interests.

Remarkably nearby - in fact, I was there only last Thursday, and in Richmond the Monday before that[1].

Starting with Westy is a bit crazy and, if you didn't buy it at source, it's also rather against the spirit of the beer, which is not supposed to be resold.
It wasn't purchased by me, at all... my friend had made the trip on the weekend of Gent-Wevelgem (he spotted the Death Star in Kortrijk, where he stayed overnight[2]) and picked up his allowance, and surprised us with it when we arrived at his house in the afternoon.

Bourgogne des Flandres can be a little bit vinegary, especially if not at the right temperature, but if tasted on tap it completely transcends from an interesting cooking beer to the realms of the truly sublime. :cool Best enjoyed among the filthy old derelicts at Au Bon Vieux Temps in downtown Brussels. :lol

Nothing filthy nor derelict about Au Bon Vieux Temps! I can certainly remember being in worse places in Brussels!![3]
 1. I continue to be glad it wasn't Lancasterke I saw in Richmond Park in full Saxo camo-kit
 2. I didn't ask about motorhomes...
 3. Although their names currently escape me - it's where I first had Gulden Draak, though
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 364
    « Reply #241 on: May 22, 2015, 16:51 »
    I am now having one of the weirdest tasting beers I've ever had. I can't really decide whether it's good or terrible. Really weird, strong basil taste and I don't know whether it works with beer

I do think I like it, you really need to get used to it, but it is quite refreshing
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 18:05 by barrus »

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #242 on: June 08, 2015, 01:54 »
    Just released

Choklat Oranj

STYLE: Imperial Stout brewed with Chocolate & Orange Peels
    ABV: 10.0%

I haven't tried it yet, but based on Southern Tier's other delicious dessert stout, I am highly optimistic.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #243 on: June 08, 2015, 08:53 »
    Just released

Choklat Oranj

STYLE: Imperial Stout brewed with Chocolate & Orange Peels
    ABV: 10.0%

I haven't tried it yet, but based on Southern Tier's other delicious dessert stout, I am highly optimistic.  :cool

Let us know how that goes.

I hear a lot about Mikkeller beers but Danish beer isn't readily available here in Belgium, so in Tallinn recently I took the opportunity to get my laughing gear around one of these:

Tiger Baby: Open Windows Open Hills

To be fair, that rather self-absorbed name is never going to go down well with me - this is beer, not prog rock - and the taste is rather unremarkable. I later learned it had to do with a music album launch. Pfft. Expensive and mediocre.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #244 on: June 11, 2015, 23:25 »
    I just stumbled upon this, and was curious to see if it works.

:win

:D
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 640
    « Reply #245 on: July 18, 2015, 21:56 »
    Next Saturday I'm going to the Birminghm Beer Bash and I was wondering if any of the beer connoisseurs of this great forum might be able to point me to beers that may be available to me based on the following link

http://birminghambeerbash.co.uk/beers-listed-by-brewery

any suggestions as to what might be a few of the better beers to try will be greatly appreciated.
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 740
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #246 on: August 09, 2015, 19:14 »
    Stop searching:

incredible, I just tried it out because a Belgian collegue told me I HAD to, and he was right, I think this is the best beer I ever tasted. The aftertaste is insanely good, I even taste cannabis  :S

Of course I drank it near freezing point, like all beers I drink, but this one is something special.

Too bad I only bought one  :angry
  • ReplyReply

• Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 273
    « Reply #247 on: August 26, 2015, 20:18 »
    A Beer thread... brill!! why didnt I see this before. :D :D

all you really need is anything from my local brewer.......... some amazing stuff!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrewDog
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #248 on: September 13, 2015, 14:38 »
    Pomtiedomtiedom...

cheers

An expensive one but worth it.

When I used to live near the border of Belgium my dad and I sometimes had them, with the incredible beautifull christall glasses with the golden rim. There was talk they were bankrupt but I found them yesterday at the 'slijterij'/liquor store yesterday: a magical beer.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #249 on: September 13, 2015, 16:44 »
    Pomtiedomtiedom...

cheers

An expensive one but worth it.

When I used to live near the border of Belgium my dad and I sometimes had them, with the incredible beautifull christall glasses with the golden rim. There was talk they were bankrupt but I found them yesterday at the 'slijterij'/liquor store yesterday: a magical beer.

Carolus is a solid brew. There's also a 'special edition' of it but that, unexpectedly enough, should be avoided.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #250 on: September 13, 2015, 16:49 »
    Bottle of Caracole the other day, an exquisite concoction from the eponymous brewery deep in Wallonia.

I'm a big fan of their output. This one is rich in grassy and rounded, fruity tones with a lot less dryness than similar strong ambers.

You can also visit the brewery and these guys are also responsible for a beer called Saxo, which is terrific.
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #251 on: September 17, 2015, 21:34 »
    Carolus is a solid brew. There's also a 'special edition' of it but that, unexpectedly enough, should be avoided.
    Carolus, like some other famous Belgian beers, is famous for its 'droesem', dross in English, didnt know there was a [google] translation for this by the way...

I always was taught by my father not to drink the dross: yep, I didnt listen to him - quelle surprise there -, the dross of Gouden Carolus is worth not to not drink  :cool

Worth all the money this one, not every week of course.

Question, does anyone here know what happened to Hoegarden? I seem not to be able to find their Grand Crue's anymore here in Holland?

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #252 on: September 18, 2015, 08:59 »
    Carolus, like some other famous Belgian beers, is famous for its 'droesem', dross in English, didnt know there was a [google] translation for this by the way...

I always was taught by my father not to drink the dross: yep, I didnt listen to him - quelle surprise there -, the dross of Gouden Carolus is worth not to not drink  :cool

Worth all the money this one, not every week of course.

Question, does anyone here know what happened to Hoegarden? I seem not to be able to find their Grand Crue's anymore here in Holland?

"Droesem" --> sediment or dregs. The latter has fallen into disuse in this context since most beers in the Anglophone world nowadays are filtered.

It is good advice, that one should not drink them. They consist of various 'restes' - impurities from the brewing ingredients - and can cause diarrhoea.

Hoegaarden is a mass produced InBev product so the sub-branding comes and goes. Grand Cru is still available but evidently they don't export it. Hardly surprising, really, it's like trying to sell an Extra Fine Kit Kat or an Organic Coke.

If you like your witbier, seek out a Blanche de Namur and you'll never go back. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #253 on: September 18, 2015, 17:19 »
    Hoegaarden used to be the best white bear in the world, untill they changed the mix around 1995 which made it extremely sour if I recall correctly.

I never drink white beer anymore I must say, I usually take my preferred beers: Duvel, Westmalle, Gulpener Gladiator. I used to try other doubles and triples but they were or to sweet or the had a bad aftertaste, I say: never change a winning team.

When I want a pilsener I get me a Brand or a Grolsch or a Warsteiner [German pilseners are also great] or an Oetinger [from the Lidl  :cool], no pee like Heineken [although in the midst of summer on a terras it is drinkable].
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #254 on: September 18, 2015, 19:08 »
    Hoegaarden used to be the best white bear in the world, untill they changed the mix around 1995 which made it extremely sour if I recall correctly.

I never drink white beer anymore I must say, I usually take my preferred beers: Duvel, Westmalle, Gulpener Gladiator. I used to try other doubles and triples but they were or to sweet or the had a bad aftertaste, I say: never change a winning team.

When I want a pilsener I get me a Brand or a Grolsch or a Warsteiner [German pilseners are also great] or an Oetinger [from the Lidl  :cool], no pee like Heineken [although in the midst of summer on a terras it is drinkable].

I think Westmalle Tripel is the finest of its kind that I've tasted here in Belgium. And I've tasted a lot ...  :lol

I don't know whereabouts you live, CC, but if someday you do slip into Flanders, the café just across from the monastery at Westmalle, which isn't so far from the Dutch border, serves it van 't vat and it is extraordinary. I don't know anywhere else that does.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3234
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #255 on: September 18, 2015, 21:01 »
    I fell in love with Carolus Ambrio at a beer festival in Manchester a few years back.

I was suitably under the influence as I wandered into my local guitar shop and promptly fell in love with a 12-string guitar. I named her Amy ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #256 on: September 18, 2015, 21:17 »
    I think Westmalle Tripel is the finest of its kind that I've tasted here in Belgium. And I've tasted a lot ...  :lol

I don't know whereabouts you live, CC, but if someday you do slip into Flanders, the café just across from the monastery at Westmalle, which isn't so far from the Dutch border, serves it van 't vat and it is extraordinary. I don't know anywhere else that does.
    Yeah, it is strange, I too tasted a LOT  :lol triples and doubles, Moortgat, Bruges, you name it, they just dont taste as good as Westmalle, and: their glasses arent as beautifull as Westmalle's. The glass is also a WOW factor of course. Kwak on the other hand is also very very nice.

That glass...

[I am notorious for steeling glasses in bars you know...]

But, I prefer the Double of Westmalle, somehow I like it better than the Triple.

And Duvel of course, the new edition.

Here, a lot to explore:
    http://www.beerofbelgium.com/nl/belgische-bieren/dubbel-donker/page2.html

and yet I dont think anyone can convince me of a better beer than Westmalle/Duvel/Gouden Karolus/Kwak/Leffe.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #257 on: September 18, 2015, 21:31 »

That glass...

[I am notorious for steeling glasses in bars you know...]

I used to enjoy watching tourists attempt the Kwak experience. If you pour it too fast, it kicks and comes out of your nostrils. That only happened once that I saw because people gave the weird contraption the respect it deserves.

I was in Cirio in downtown Brussels when that happened. I particularly remember that because it was a dull middle-aged guy with an attractive young women and we were trying to guess if they were lovers or relatives. They were terribly cuddly with each other.

• ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #258 on: September 19, 2015, 11:21 »
    Yeah, I can see that, the ones on the left I guess? Very cudly indeed  ;)

• ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #259 on: November 01, 2015, 13:54 »

In brief

SUBTLE bitterness with a spicy touch
    at 7.5%

The Leffe Royale Mapuche is a genuine product of the South American sun. Through the process of dry hopping, his complex character, its copper color, its subtle bitterness and spicy notes, an ode to perfection. You taste a bouquet of blueberries, red fruit, peach and apricot. Make the most of the expertise of our master brewer and Cascade IPA in a chalice of Leffe Royale.

A SHORT STORY OF A LEGENDARY BEER

When dry hopping let circulate the cold beer through a bed of hops, which we recover all the aromatic oils that lurk in the petals of the hop cones. If you were to add the hops at warm temperatures, move some of the aromas lost through evaporation. This procedure takes place at the end of the fermentation process.

ADVICE FROM EXPERTS

For a master brewer, there is nothing more precious than hop. Because the hops determines all the attributes of the beer. The character, the flavor and the color. The choice of which is the basis of everything and be done with extensive knowledge and accuracy. When master brewer Charles Nowen the Leffe Royale range has developed his ambition was clear: develop exceptional and distinctive beers that are both unique and special. After he had traveled the world looking for the very best hopkwekers, he finally chose three hops. One of those hops, the Mapuche. This exceptional and precious hops are grown exclusively for Leffe on the Patagonian plains in Argentina. This hop has a bouquet of blueberries, red fruit, peach and apricot.

The brewer hasnt lied on this one, an excellent beer. And, with 7.5% not heavy at all. Great beer for rainy autumn sundays watching Feyenoord loose to ADO or the Koppenberg Cross.
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #260 on: November 28, 2015, 15:02 »
    A new one, from Brewery 'T Anker, again  ;)

Through google translate:

GOLDEN CAROLUS HOPSINJOOR

INTRODUCTION

Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor completes the palate of the gamma Carolus beers. "Hopsinjoor" is a reference to both the figure "Opsinjoor" which is intertwined with the city's [Mechelen] history and also the five hop varieties used. The hops are added at different times during the cooking process in order to keep a maximum of aroma.
    It is a predominantly mild beer with a bitter aftertaste.

Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor was launched in 2008 on the Zythos-beer festival and was an immediate hit. The many visitors chose it as the best beer in which the Het Anker brewery "Consumers Trophy Zythos Beer Festival 2008" in reception could take.

The beer is bottled unfiltered to the extent possible to maintain the hop bitterness.

Yep, this is a very nice beer as well. Not too heavy, not too sweet, not too bitter. Payed under 2 Euro's for it so also not expensive.

I love our local liquor store I recently discovered, this instead of Gall & Gall - Dutch will know them - who are overprized [they charge 2,25 Euro for a Chimay which is 1,6 Euro at the other store for example] and really dont have a lot of choice on stock.

Belgica still produces the best Bieres of the world I might say.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 833
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    « Reply #261 on: January 20, 2016, 01:28 »
    To my surprise, Lima has a great selection of breweries.

If you're ever in town, the Nuevo Mundo and Barranco Beer Company bars are well worth a visit.

Strong IPAs seems to be the theme, although Peruvians do like their red and amber ales too.

Most supermarkets have beers from Barbarian and Candelaria breweries, which are cheaper than some of the awful stuff they import from England like Abbots.

Very much part of the craft beer trend but I'm not complaining. Can't beat a good bottle of Cusqueña either, even one variety made with quinoa!
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Road Nats 2017 by Not My Circus
    [Today at 21:00]

Re: Road Nats 2017 by pastronef
    [Today at 20:07]

Re: Road Nats 2017 by cj2002
    [Today at 18:08]

Re: Road Nats 2017 by cj2002
    [Today at 18:01]

Re: Roadbooks by Ajax_Hayden