• ReplyReply
  • Never Stop Exploring!

craig1985

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    Re: The Beer Thread
    « Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 11:23 »
    My flatmate bought a box of Premium Cleanskin Beer:

A product of Korea and 4.5% and it was $27 for a box. It's not too bad, certainly one of those you get what you pay for beers.
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 6
    « Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 13:05 »
    My first try
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 21:24 »
    Absinthe reminds me of Oscar Wilde...

Today it is really snowy and I wish I was sitting in a cozy pub somewhere in London or anywhere on the other side of the Atlantic....

might have to go local anyway....
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    « Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 21:31 »
    Hmm...could go over to the Avery Tap Room... :-
  • ReplyReply

• Scott SoCal

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012, 21:43 »
    Absinthe reminds me of Oscar Wilde...

Today it is really snowy and I wish I was sitting in a cozy pub somewhere in London or anywhere on the other side of the Atlantic....

might have to go local anyway....

Wow.... that sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon...

• ReplyReply

• Scott SoCal

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 21:44 »
    Hmm...could go over to the Avery Tap Room... :-

Now you are just bragging ;D
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    « Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 21:50 »
    Now you are just bragging ;D

ha. I did remember you mentioning Avery a time or two.  ;)
    if you come out for the USPROCCCCCC we can round up a forum pub visit!

Ya, so some of my favorite times in the UK are sitting and relaxing in a pub!
  • ReplyReply

• on3m@ndog

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 17:24 »
    Visited Yakima Craft Brewing microbrewery and Tap Room yesterday (http://www.yakimacraftbrewing.com/home.html). It's a small 3.5 BBL process, but are making plans to expand to 20. But man do they make real good beer of different kinds (labels in parenth.), from pale ale (Pale Ale) to belgian style (Good Monkey, and Bad Monkey) and stout (Twin Stag). The belgian labels got the 'Monkey' name because they have a slight banana flavor from the yeast... banana is not an ingredient. It goes down smooth, but at 8.2% alcohol will sneak up on you (the 'Bad' part and 'Good' part of the label) ???. Bad Monkey is a season product around Christmas that has some added spices that adds a very nice flavor.

MY FAVORITE though was the IPA, which is an A+ rated brew. The sample I had in the tap room had an IBU content of about 102 (highter than the website's 78 IBU content). But it was not bitter!!! It was a real smooth blend of malt and grains (they use lots of grain in the Mash Tun). It had a very pleasant smooth hop flavor.

You want a REAL hoppy flavor? Then VERN is for you... with an astounding 115 IBU content in the Tap Room. That was too much for me, but not enough to turn my nose up against, and is still better than any Bud, Miller, or other common beer in supermarkets.

On this Friday afternoon while I was in the Tap Room, a lot of folks came in to have their growlers refilled with their favorite right from the tap. Sweet.

If you can get their beer, do it. But if you call them asking how to get it they will probably say "Come to Yakima". All of their bottled product are 22 ounces... perfect for me.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10423
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

TexPat

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 18
    « Reply #42 on: February 18, 2012, 19:40 »
    As a general rule whenever I travel (or in this case move) to another country, I think it only fitting to experience the new culture via hops and barley...or wheat. I've been disappointed a few times for sure by the local offering; Spain for example has a deplorable local beer industry as do Egypt and Morocco--the latter two have an excuse on account of the dominant culture and religion of course.
    However, I have to express my gut-wrenching dismay at beer in New Zealand which lacks balls and flavour, yet is ridiculously expensive.
    Only this week I was pleasantly surprised to find this guy http://kererubrewing.co.nz/ who lives down the hill from me, and whose door I may come a knockin' on the way home from the shop this week. Turns out he's an ex-pat but not a Tex-pat.
  • ReplyReply
  • Freelance hand model. Enquiries welcome.

Straydog

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 20:12 »
    As a general rule whenever I travel (or in this case move) to another country, I think it only fitting to experience the new culture via hops and barley...or wheat. I've been disappointed a few times for sure by the local offering; Spain for example has a deplorable local beer industry as do Egypt and Morocco--the latter two have an excuse on account of the dominant culture and religion of course.
    However, I have to express my gut-wrenching dismay at beer in New Zealand which lacks balls and flavour, yet is ridiculously expensive.
    Only this week I was pleasantly surprised to find this guy http://kererubrewing.co.nz/ who lives down the hill from me, and whose door I may come a knockin' on the way home from the shop this week. Turns out he's an ex-pat but not a Tex-pat.

I hear this. I hope you have never had the misfortune of imbibing monteith's "stout". Genuinely Rank. Stout is supposed to be smooth, with a silky head. This Stuff fizzes more than a can of coke, has just a slightly frothy, greasy stain at the top of the glass as an excuse for head and I am pretty sure it is often used as paint stripper, it's taste is so acrid.

There are a couple of micro breweries in Welly that I am sure you have found out, that do some nice stuff if you like pilsner/ lager, but you're right it's a bit pricey, like most booze in NZ, and as for the Ales..don't get me started.
  • ReplyReply

• windsor1334

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 21:15 »
    a sunday afternoon in april with a good mort subire
  • ReplyReply
  • nothing better than cobble and rain

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 21:31 »
    Very much a real ale drinker.  My local (and favourite) brewery is a small company called Andwells.  Their beers are all delicious apart from Ruddy Darter, and their Christmas limited edition Porter was awesome!

http://www.andwells.com/index.php/page/our_beers
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 15:00 »
    My first try

Yeh, the only good thing Woolworths have done since taking over Gage Roads.
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2588
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #47 on: February 25, 2012, 16:28 »

• ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 08:01 »
    Saturday I went to my favourite drankenhandel over at Winksele, which is called ABS Drinks. They know me there now, so I even get half-smiles from the lady "who run tings that go on".

Some days you get lucky there. Saturday was pretty lucky: a nice assortment of De Struise Pannepot variations (including the Calvados-barrelled vintage Grand Reserva) and just a few Black Alberts remaining. The rest of my crate I filled with Sint Bernardus 12 and Caracole's heady, complex Nostradamus.

After a busy day around the house on Sunday, we had a nice, light St Feuillien Blonde. At only 7.5% ABV, it's an ideal beer for those making the transition over from thin lagers and crappy-tappers like Kronenbourg. Full of agreeably fresh, strawy tones and tastes perfectly poised on the right side of dry.

• ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #49 on: March 05, 2012, 20:21 »
    My current tipples of choice in my local;

and the guest ale they have at the moment which is dangerously drinkable.  Light and refreshing, in summer this will be the dog's nutsack of a beverage.

• ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #50 on: March 13, 2012, 19:32 »
    March 24: 2nd Annual Ensenada Baja Beer Fest
    2-10pm: Artisan beer tastings, craft beer contests and workshops from more than two dozen regional homebrewers plus live music, dj’s, an art expo, and regional foods at the Riviera Cultural Center on the corner of Blvd. Costero (Lázaro Cárdenas) & Av. Club Rotario, Ensenada. Ticket ($20dlls. in advance, $25dlls. day of event) includes admission, samplings of more than 40 beers and 2 food samples. Info: Home Brewers Ensenada at www.hbe.mx or Francisco Talamantes, tel. (646)156-5036.
  • ReplyReply

• usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 77
    « Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 00:50 »

• ReplyReply

• BlueBuzzard

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #52 on: March 14, 2012, 10:04 »
    Went out a couple of weeks ago for a hard 50 miler round the Ride of the Falling Leaves route near Sheffield before attending the Rotherham Magna Beer Festival the day after. Had to build up a thirst  :tu

Plenty of "research" completed and was particularly impressed with the two Steel City Brewing offerings Dark Funeral and Xiberia.
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #53 on: April 06, 2012, 21:44 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #54 on: April 06, 2012, 21:44 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #55 on: April 06, 2012, 21:45 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #56 on: April 06, 2012, 21:45 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #57 on: April 06, 2012, 21:46 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #58 on: April 06, 2012, 21:46 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #59 on: April 06, 2012, 21:47 »
  • ReplyReply

•