collapse

krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
  • Multiple World Champion
  • Liked: 2588
  • Donald J Krabkakes
  • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2012, 21:47 »
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #61 on: April 06, 2012, 21:48 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #62 on: April 06, 2012, 21:48 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #63 on: April 06, 2012, 21:49 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #64 on: April 06, 2012, 21:50 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #65 on: April 06, 2012, 21:50 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #66 on: April 06, 2012, 21:51 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #67 on: April 06, 2012, 21:52 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #68 on: April 06, 2012, 21:52 »
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #69 on: April 06, 2012, 21:53 »
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #70 on: April 07, 2012, 16:20 »

That was a very familiar local beer around my home region when I was a kid. I'm amazed you found it over there in Baja!  8)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #71 on: April 07, 2012, 18:08 »
    My Parigi-Rubaio selection for tomorrow:

De Struise Black Albert - Smoky stout loveliness - 13% abv (Mini-review)

• ReplyReply

• usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 77
    « Reply #72 on: April 07, 2012, 23:58 »

so local,  kegs only. 8)
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #73 on: April 08, 2012, 07:02 »
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #74 on: April 25, 2012, 03:11 »

Et maintenant, c'est le Rochefort 6. C'est bon.
  • ReplyReply

• l29205

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 127
    « Reply #75 on: July 11, 2012, 22:33 »
    looking for suggestions.  Dr said I am switching meds in 6 weeks and if you ever had anything you wanted to drink before than do it now because in 6 weeks alcohol can kill you.  I just picked up a Chimay Blue cap and am sitting on the patio watch the tour re-cap.
  • ReplyReply

• usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 77
    « Reply #76 on: July 12, 2012, 01:54 »
    looking for suggestions.  Dr said I am switching meds in 6 weeks and if you ever had anything you wanted to drink before than do it now because in 6 weeks alcohol can kill you.  I just picked up a Chimay Blue cap and am sitting on the patio watch the tour re-cap.
    anything from Stone is good usually this is for sure.

http://www.stonebrew.com/og/

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #77 on: July 12, 2012, 08:26 »
    I have officially ended my long, intimate relationship with beer as a result of a cycling reprise.

If I had six weeks left, I would drink a truckload of Westvleteren 12 with in-betweeners consisting of Rochefort 8, Sint Bernardus 12 Abt, Cantillon Gueuze and an Adelardus Bruin before bed.

I would also dig into a couple of off-topic bottles of Margaux and Pomerol.  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #78 on: July 30, 2012, 14:57 »
    10k down the road

We just ordered our first Local beer and it will be here when we open Friday July 13th
    Red Agave IPA
    Imperial Red IPA. Contains sweet malts and hops flavor with intense softening organic agave nectar. It has dark amber because of its malts imported glass and intense bitterness and aroma.
    $4 for Full pints
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #79 on: July 30, 2012, 15:13 »
    10k down the road

We just ordered our first Local beer and it will be here when we open Friday July 13th
    Red Agave IPA
    Imperial Red IPA. Contains sweet malts and hops flavor with intense softening organic agave nectar. It has dark amber because of its malts imported glass and intense bitterness and aroma.
    $4 for Full pints
    ??? Do you mean next year  :P
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #80 on: July 30, 2012, 15:29 »
    ??? Do you mean next year  :P
    oops no it just opened this last 13th I hope. good beer is rare here
  • ReplyReply

• Scott SoCal

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #81 on: October 14, 2012, 10:37 »
    Surprise, surprise...

So, I have spent the last three weeks cruising around Italy beer (and wine) tasting... among other things.

Guess what? Italy has some excellent craft brewers!   :-*  I'm waiting to catch a flight at the moment but I will post reviews in the next coupla days.

Cheers.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #82 on: October 14, 2012, 15:48 »
    Surprise, surprise...

So, I have spent the last three weeks cruising around Italy beer (and wine) tasting... among other things.

Guess what? Italy has some excellent craft brewers!   :-*  I'm waiting to catch a flight at the moment but I will post reviews in the next coupla days.

Cheers.

I'll be looking forward to this, Scott. People are always telling me Italy is catching on these days, particularly because they work hard for only local recognition. Personally, I've only ever tried the usual Peronis Schmoneys, nothing particularly memorable.

Quite curious to know how the brewing tradition pans out in terms of regions. This is a big wine country, of course, so where in Italy are they doing these beers?

And yeah, you enjoy far too many vacations for my liking.  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• palmorq

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    • devil without a cause
    « Reply #83 on: October 15, 2012, 03:52 »
    bud light ! but i have no class :S it's not bad and affordable..
  • ReplyReply
  • I ain't no g  I'm just a regular failure,  I'm not straight outta compton, I'm straight out of the trailer.

Scott SoCal

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #84 on: October 15, 2012, 13:57 »
    I'll be looking forward to this, Scott. People are always telling me Italy is catching on these days, particularly because they work hard for only local recognition. Personally, I've only ever tried the usual Peronis Schmoneys, nothing particularly memorable.

Quite curious to know how the brewing tradition pans out in terms of regions. This is a big wine country, of course, so where in Italy are they doing these beers?

And yeah, you enjoy far too many vacations for my liking.  ;D

If you have ever been to Val d'Orica region of Tuscany then you know about the hiking, natural hot springs, grape vineyards and the olive tree groves.  If you are a cyclist then you may also know the region for the miles of Strade Bianche and the L'Eroica vintage bike race.

Feel free to add this attraction to your itinerary next time you are in the area.  Birrificio San Quirico in the Val d'Orica is a craft brewery that specializes in using local all natural ingredients to produce unfiltered beers that are different and, as I found, highly enjoyable.

http://www.birrificiosanquirico.it/about_philosophy.html

The Giulitta is a darker amber ale that has a bready, ripe fruit flavor with hints of rye on a dry-ish finish.  My feeling is there is Belgian influence here even though its presented as a British Pale Ale.  The Belgian yeast is hard to ignore.   The head is thick and literally never-ending... something I appreciate.  A very sessionable beer at 6% ABV and it appears that there is very much a wine making influence with this brewery's beer. 

All in all it was a very drinkable ale that was surprising in many ways.  If you can find it, try it.  I would love to hear what others think of this one.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #85 on: October 15, 2012, 15:51 »
    If you have ever been to Val d'Orica region of Tuscany then you know about the hiking, natural hot springs, grape vineyards and the olive tree groves.  If you are a cyclist then you may also know the region for the miles of Strade Bianche and the L'Eroica vintage bike race.

Feel free to add this attraction to your itinerary next time you are in the area.  Birrificio San Quirico in the Val d'Orica is a craft brewery that specializes in using local all natural ingredients to produce unfiltered beers that are different and, as I found, highly enjoyable.

http://www.birrificiosanquirico.it/about_philosophy.html

The Giulitta is a darker amber ale that has a bready, ripe fruit flavor with hints of rye on a dry-ish finish.  My feeling is there is Belgian influence here even though its presented as a British Pale Ale.  The Belgian yeast is hard to ignore.   The head is thick and literally never-ending... something I appreciate.  A very sessionable beer at 6% ABV and it appears that there is very much a wine making influence with this brewery's beer. 

All in all it was a very drinkable ale that was surprising in many ways.  If you can find it, try it.  I would love to hear what others think of this one.

Quite apart from the Strade Bianche, hiking and beer sounds perfetto!

Sounds really good: unfiltered is boss.  :win

Nice mix of beers too. I think I know just what you mean with the Pale Ale - Belgian crossover. Since I'm a Brit myself, I sometimes catch some memory-inducing similarities here in Belgium.

A big head is such a rare thing - they used to undersell pints by pouring a tall head in Britain when I was younger. But that was often where a lot of the best flavours came from.

I've never seen any Italian beers down my local drankenhandel: as you can probably imagine they're a bit chauvinistic. That said, no harm in keeping an eye open.

Thanks for that, Scott. This thread went quiet about the same time I stopped drinking. But winter's here now, so ...  :win
  • ReplyReply

• Scott SoCal

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #86 on: October 16, 2012, 01:04 »
    Quite apart from the Strade Bianche, hiking and beer sounds perfetto!

Sounds really good: unfiltered is boss.  :win

Nice mix of beers too. I think I know just what you mean with the Pale Ale - Belgian crossover. Since I'm a Brit myself, I sometimes catch some memory-inducing similarities here in Belgium.

A big head is such a rare thing - they used to undersell pints by pouring a tall head in Britain when I was younger. But that was often where a lot of the best flavours came from.

I've never seen any Italian beers down my local drankenhandel: as you can probably imagine they're a bit chauvinistic. That said, no harm in keeping an eye open.

Thanks for that, Scott. This thread went quiet about the same time I stopped drinking. But winter's here now, so ...  :win

Hey, you are welcome. :)

Next up will be several from Birrificio Italiano.  A very cool place where the wifer and I escaped one helluva Thunderstorm while enjoying several of their offerings.  Fun place!

http://www.birrificio.it/
  • ReplyReply

• Scott SoCal

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #87 on: October 20, 2012, 13:30 »
    Alrighty then...

Birrificio Italianio.  Pretty cool brewery and gastropub about 15 minutes drive south of Como, Italy.

Me and the wife tasted several of their offerings.  Interestingly enough, this brewery follows the Reinheitsgebot.  The info provided was in extremely broken English... which we appreciated as we speak exactly zero Italian.  So I was not quite clear if all of their beers are brewed to the beer purity laws or if just some are.  Enough about that. :)

VuDu

A dark amber at a rather surprising 5.5 % ABV.  I say surprising because this beer is bready, malty and sweet which is akin to a nice Belgian Dubbel, so in my mind I am thinking this beer surly would be big on the alcohol... but it's actually a bit more Belgian Dubbel meets a German Doppelbock, if that makes any sense.

The beer is to be served in what essentially is a large whiskey glass.  Nice, rich long lasting head the beer has a pleasant haziness, pleasant malty/ripe fruit nose.  The bready malty slightly sweet flavor is nice.  The finish is short which was slightly disappointing.

It's worth a go and as always, I am very interested in what others think of this beer.

• ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #88 on: October 20, 2012, 14:30 »
    I had a Peroni about 40 years ago. :fp
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #89 on: October 20, 2012, 16:36 »
    VuDu

A dark amber at a rather surprising 5.5 % ABV.  I say surprising because this beer is bready, malty and sweet which is akin to a nice Belgian Dubbel, so in my mind I am thinking this beer surly would be big on the alcohol... but it's actually a bit more Belgian Dubbel meets a German Doppelbock, if that makes any sense.

Images didn't work before but now they do and awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, I want that. I absolutely love those flavours.

Sounds a bit light though - how did it go down? Reason I ask is that I'm just being paranoid: for every winner with beers like this, I've had maybe two disappointments: I remember for example that Noir de Dottignies was a lightish one that promised cakey figs and tasted little better than flat cola.

I like these if possible to be fairly substantial in the mouth. And super fragrant. Kerkom does some lovely malty brews, for example, but they throw in unusual stuff that smells like bergamot and my old French master.
  • ReplyReply

•