I had a Peroni about 40 years ago. :fp

That's pretty good Krebs. ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Scott SoCal

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 3
    Re: The Beer Thread
    « Reply #91 on: October 22, 2012, 01:20 »
    Images didn't work before but now they do and awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, I want that. I absolutely love those flavours.

Sounds a bit light though - how did it go down? Reason I ask is that I'm just being paranoid: for every winner with beers like this, I've had maybe two disappointments: I remember for example that Noir de Dottignies was a lightish one that promised cakey figs and tasted little better than flat cola.

I like these if possible to be fairly substantial in the mouth. And super fragrant. Kerkom does some lovely malty brews, for example, but they throw in unusual stuff that smells like bergamot and my old French master.

That's the thing about this beer... The look, the aroma, the mouthfeel are exactly what you would expect, it's just that there's very little back of the tongue taste.  Mouthfeel is pleasant... But you swallow and think, "what happened?" :o.  In all fairness, I liked the beer but I would have loved it had the favors hung around a little longer.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #92 on: October 22, 2012, 09:20 »
    That's the thing about this beer... The look, the aroma, the mouthfeel are exactly what you would expect, it's just that there's very little back of the tongue taste.  Mouthfeel is pleasant... But you swallow and think, "what happened?" :o.  In all fairness, I liked the beer but I would have loved it had the favors hung around a little longer.

That's exactly what I was "worried" about. Not necessarily a dealbreaker, of course, but sometimes disappointing when you're hoping for a big finish.

I allowed myself a Chimay Blonde at the weekend.

One of the best aspects of being the only native English speaker in the office is that you can accrue good karma and even gifts for unofficially checking and sometimes improving the documents of your colleagues. So a guy bunged me a mixed pack of beers last week.

Nothing too exciting in there but I've never had the blonde Chimay before so I figured, I've done a good ride today, why not?

It was pretty decent: a lot better than the thinner, more commercial blondes you get in this ubiquity bracket. Light and grassy, if lacking much body, still fairly substantial on the swallow.

Probably needs a bit less refrigeration than one might usually apply with blondes. I undercooled mine out of habit because I do that with the other Chimays and I think I was duly rewarded.

My favourite blonde is still probably Schuppenboer Tripel but that's rare as rocking horse poop, so in default this one - which is super easy to find in almost any store here - will still brush away a few autumnal cobwebs. I would buy it if there were only mass-market brews to choose from.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2588
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org

krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #95 on: October 25, 2012, 22:28 »
    Can a 65% ABV beer still be a beer?
    good question.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #96 on: October 25, 2012, 23:08 »
    good question.

I just cannot understand how there is enough sugar content to sustain the sort of fermentation process needed to generate that level of alcohol without distillation.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3208
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #97 on: October 26, 2012, 10:24 »
    As I understand it, that is very much the problem with these gimmicky strong beers. To be able to sustain that much fermentation, they have to add vast amounts of extra sugar and yeast, and it all becomes very artificial.

Their other problem tends to be that with so much alcohol, it is very difficult to balance the flavours, and it just tastes horrible! I would much rather stick to a well-balanced English ale at 5-6%, or a beautiful Belgian like Westmalle or Westvleteren which manages to be >10% and still perfect.

Given that so many fantastic beers come out of monasteries, what could have been of British brewing had Henry VIII not burned ours all down!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #98 on: October 26, 2012, 12:58 »
    I just cannot understand how there is enough sugar content to sustain the sort of fermentation process needed to generate that level of alcohol without distillation.
    John MacKenzie, who runs the brewery with Lewis Shand, said: “The beer has a viscous quality to it, due to the special freeze fermentation method we use to produce such a high alcoholic beer.”

This process involves cooling the beer to zero degrees during the brewing process; as the water freezes the alcohol does not and then the ice that forms is removed, leaving a very strong beer.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #99 on: October 26, 2012, 14:01 »
    As I understand it, that is very much the problem with these gimmicky strong beers. To be able to sustain that much fermentation, they have to add vast amounts of extra sugar and yeast, and it all becomes very artificial.

Their other problem tends to be that with so much alcohol, it is very difficult to balance the flavours, and it just tastes horrible! I would much rather stick to a well-balanced English ale at 5-6%, or a beautiful Belgian like Westmalle or Westvleteren which manages to be >10% and still perfect.

Given that so many fantastic beers come out of monasteries, what could have been of British brewing had Henry VIII not burned ours all down!

This is not intended to counter your last post, but many of the monasteries here in Belgium were actually established quite recently.

The religious and quasi-religious turmoil that plagued this part of Europe for centuries typically erased almost all religious institutions except those that represented an irreplaceable value to the community and whose destruction would have fomented popular disdain for whatever rule was currently in place.

The Sint Jans Ziekenhuis in Brugge and the Hospices de Beaune are excellent Burgundian examples.

I think it is fair to say that brewing in monastic Belgium thrives precisely because these monasteries were (re)founded so recently.

In the late eighteenth and early to mid nineteenth centuries, against a backdrop of the newly-bestowed nationhood, families with hereditary estates encouraged and often financed the development of such institutions on their lands, not so much for the old medieval reasons of currying favour with their God ahead of Judgement Day, but because it lent their presence a sense of legitimacy and community in a historical moment when everyone else was in some way starting from scratch and might not have respected the old titles.

Meanwhile - and for somewhat similar reasons - the institutions themselves adopted a revisionist approach to the establishment of their new orders, a sort of return to basics, if you will. This revisionism preferred dedication to reflection and sought its god through work rather than through sustained prayer. Also crucially, the bequests of land did not often cover maintenance and so the new institutions needed to sustain themselves and, despite remaining cloistered, to depend somewhat on greater interaction with the community around them.

Beer has of course always been the beverage of workers, especially after the medieval concept of boons began to substitute for payment. History suggests that the beers of yesteryear were rather watery and very low in alcohol content but frequently preferable to water, which was too often either contaminated or else quickly spoiled. If an individual sought stronger alcoholic victuals, he or she usually resorted to mead or some other ghastly vegetal concoction.

Thus an artificially high level of alcohol has nothing to do with the brewing tradition and everything to do with marketing gimmicks, crass experimentalism and the susceptibility of the ignorant consumer to both.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3208
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #100 on: October 26, 2012, 14:45 »
    I hadn't realised that about the Belgian monasteries... I just assumed that the religious traditions like the parade from Brussels cathedral down to the Grande Place for the beer festival every year were cemented by centuries of history.

I'm not convinced, though, that the strength of Belgian beers is gimmicky in the way that some of the Brewdog beers (Tactical Nuclear Penguin, anybody?) are. And somewhere like Westvleteren that doesn't technically even sell to the public, just makes 10% goodness for themselves (lucky bastards! ;D)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #101 on: October 26, 2012, 16:06 »
    I hadn't realised that about the Belgian monasteries... I just assumed that the religious traditions like the parade from Brussels cathedral down to the Grande Place for the beer festival every year were cemented by centuries of history.

I'm not convinced, though, that the strength of Belgian beers is gimmicky in the way that some of the Brewdog beers (Tactical Nuclear Penguin, anybody?) are. And somewhere like Westvleteren that doesn't technically even sell to the public, just makes 10% goodness for themselves (lucky bastards! ;D)

Oh no, not at all. I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought that.  ;D The 10-13% ABV of beers such as Bush and Westy comes from multiple distinct processes on a denser brew and that takes a long time to achieve, especially when you're looking for stability. That's why Stella Artois isn't really the beer from Belgium that's "reassuringly expensive" (brewed on licence in the UK anyway, so....  :fp)

I applaud the recent explosion of British microbreweries but they need to build up sales by brewing consistently good beer rather than attracting the attention of tabloid newspapers, cretinous students and boozelouts.

As for all those ceremonies, there's another, more secular story to tell about those, but I won't bore our fine readers with all that now.  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #102 on: October 26, 2012, 20:25 »
    i had a pint of Brugse Zot Blonde yesterday. really enjoyed it. will go back to the bar that had it

i'm sure for the belgians it's pretty mainstream but it was (to my taste) a significant improvement on leffe (which is fairly commonly available in london, although only usually in bottles)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #103 on: October 26, 2012, 20:47 »
    i had a pint of Brugse Zot Blonde yesterday. really enjoyed it. will go back to the bar that had it

i'm sure for the belgians it's pretty mainstream but it was (to my taste) a significant improvement on leffe (which is fairly commonly available in london, although only usually in bottles)

On tap by the sound of it, Lancs? I found it rather flat myself, sort of mildly sour and hoppy like an English bitter. Highly unusual taste for a beer of this type - I seem to remember something similar in the old Youngs range you used to find in the Home Counties. Only had one in a bar in Brugge once when the weather was cold. It was good with a meal, sort of inoffensive, held its own, but I didn't really hang onto it. It's not super common here but you can usually find it in any decent beer store. As you say, it's a lot better than sugary Leffe, but that's a relative statement. ;) I'm really happy you tried it though - that's a really good starting point for the less commercial blondes.  :tu

De Halve Maan ('the Half Moon') is an excellent brewery. I am a big fan of their Straffe Hendrik Tripel, which is sharp and slightly metallic in a good way. Tripels often taste a little bit tart for me but this one is having none of that. I know Scott likes them too. Not so hot on the Quadrupel, which I seem to recall finding a bit syrupy, but it was passable. Lots of beetroot.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 475
    « Reply #104 on: November 05, 2012, 11:50 »

By trappist monks so it kinda reminds me of beer.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10425
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #106 on: January 30, 2013, 19:41 »
    i hate beer (or the tast anyway) But in Poland i sometimes they offered it with juice, no idea what juice, all i remember is it tasted all right.

So i mixed beer with rasberry juice yesterday. and it tasted really nice.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #107 on: March 30, 2013, 07:15 »
    Ready.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #108 on: March 30, 2013, 14:07 »
    Ready.

1. Use the Leffe for cooking (beef in beer if not veggie or else a nice onion gravy, for example);

2. Drink the rest in the following order: Chimay Blonde, Duvel, Chimay Bleue;

3. Suffer the ensuing week-long hangover and emerge renewed and immaculate from that boozy cloud of self-disgust just in time for Paris-Roubaix.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #109 on: March 31, 2013, 10:41 »
    Thanks, was going to ask for advice on the sequence. How long do they take in the fridge to get to a good temp?

Might skip the Duvel though (not feeling so great :D), not a big fan anyway so hoping the Chimay Blonde is a step up.

I actually liked the Leffe Radieuse had it a couple of years ago, although have nothing to compare it against. Wallet prefers it too!
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #110 on: March 31, 2013, 18:43 »
    Ready.

Radieuse.. oh jesus.. if yoiu are still standing after that lot..
  • ReplyReply

• Shawn Gossman

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 14
      • Tour de Shawn
    « Reply #111 on: April 03, 2013, 19:09 »
    Oktoberfest Ale lately. I drink it at room temp and I doubled the alcohol volume ;D I make my own beer! Its cheaper, fun and it tastes better than most of the American beer... It seems like anymore, American beer is too sweet even Bud Light which was what I usually drank. However, after becoming concerned of my health these past few months, I've dramatically slacked off from drinking alcohol or anything else besides water and maybe powerade on rides. I maybe drink up to 3 mugs of beer in a month.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2012 Trek 1.1
    2011 Trek Marlin 29er
    Tour de Shawn - My personal cycling blog!

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #112 on: April 08, 2013, 22:01 »
    ...even Bud Light which was what I usually drank.
    Um, that's not beer.  :?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #113 on: April 08, 2013, 22:05 »
    I just discovered this little gem. Good lord. Dessert in a bottle.

I've always maintained that you can judge a beer by its label. Check out some of the other offererings from Clown Shoes. Mighty impressive.
    http://www.clownshoesbeer.com
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:01 by Drummer Boy »

Shawn Gossman

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 14
      • Tour de Shawn
    « Reply #114 on: April 15, 2013, 06:05 »
    Um, that's not beer.  :?

Its okay.,.. Shinerbock is good as well, An American beer with German intentions... Most American beer is German ingredients... Lots of Germans came over here and made beer, a lot of them boot legged during prohibition too.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5655
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #115 on: August 14, 2013, 17:13 »
    Where it all started ...
    http://www.naukawpolsce.pap.pl/en/news/news,396547,one-of-the-worlds-oldest-breweries-reconstructed.html

That's what a brewery looked like 5500 years ago.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Scott SoCal

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #116 on: December 07, 2013, 14:37 »
    2008 Pannepot Grand Reserve.  De Struise has a lot going on... But if you can withstand the temptation to drink now, this beer just gets better and better.  This was fantastic.

• ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    « Reply #117 on: December 07, 2013, 17:08 »
    Best beer I ever had was a pint of Adnams Bitter in a pub across the road from the brewery. Real ales dont travel well. This only had to cross the road. It was awesome.
  • ReplyReply
  • "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

Deping

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #118 on: February 20, 2014, 21:07 »

Definitely enjoying this.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #119 on: December 01, 2014, 16:45 »
    The demise of this marvellous thread correlates more or less with my personal weight loss programme.  :cool

Well, allow me to introduce you to my guest this evening:

A Westmalle Tripel cooled for 75 minutes and then coordinated with the appropriate Westmalle glass.

One of the very few true trappist beers, Westmalle Abbey has a bar outside the walls where you can go enjoy it at its freshest. Worth bribing a driver to take you there.

The area around Oostmalle is well-known for its crop of CXers, including Kevin Pauwels, the Adams brothers and Toon Aerts.
  • ReplyReply

•