Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2122
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
Stage 3
BE'ER SHEVA - EILAT 6 May 2018 / Sunday / 229 km

Sunday, 6 May 2018 - Following the time trial on day one and the race to Tel Aviv on the second day of action, the 3rd stage of the Giro d'Italia is another road stage. At 229 kilometres, the race will be long and exhausting as the route runs through the hot and arid Negev desert.

The desert begins Be’er Sheva in the north and runs all the way to the resort city of Eilat at its southern end. So the race basically covers the whole Negev. Eilat is located on the Red Sea.

The route starts at an altitude of 295 metres and peaks, almost 80 kilometres into the race, at 840 metres. No steep climbs though, the course features quite a lot of false flat, although the last 50 kilometres are fairly straightforward – flat.

The Negev desert is arid and the temperature in May is around 26 degrees Celsius. The expected rainfall is next to nothing. Tomorrow is expected to peak at 10 degrees above the average.

The route follows the mild undulations of the Negev desert. The roads are always wide and well paved. The route takes a long run across a rocky landscape, and becomes rougher especially when emerging from the Ramon Crater, with a categorised climb set in Faran River. The final part of the route descends slightly towards the Red Sea, and enters the city before hitting the finish line. Final kilometres: over the last 6 km, the road narrows while passing through a checkpoint. After taking in a series of roundabouts, the route eventually takes a U-turn 1.6 km before the finish, at another roundabout, leading into the final kilometre. The last bend is 350 m from the finish line (on 7.5-m wide asphalt road).

Profile:-

Map:-

Climb:-

Finish:-

The 3rd stage of the 2018 Giro d’Italia starts at 12:40 and the finish is expected around 18:00 – both local times.

Now for the cultural stuff...

BE'ER SHEVA

Be’er Sheva, located in Southern Israel, is the largest city in the Negev – often called the Gateway to the Negev region – and the main town of the Southern District.

EILAT

Located in the southernmost tip of Israel on the Red Sea, Eilat is an important Israeli harbour, a very high-standard tourism resort enjoying a mild climate due to the sub-tropical characteristics of the Red Sea. With its 50,000 inhabitants, the city is in the southern part of the Negev.

Eilat.

The Negev:

Be'er:

Favourites 3rd stage 2018 Giro d’Italia

:*:*:*:* Elia Viviani,
:*:*:* Niccolo Bonifazio, Sam Bennett
:*:* Danny van Poppel, Sacha Modolo, Jakub Mareczko, Ryan Gibbons
:* Jens Debusschere, Enrico Battaglin, Andrea Guardini, Clément Venturini, Manuel Belletti, Baptiste Planckaert and Kristian Sbaragli.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2222
    Uploaded the route to google earth just to give you a perspective, this is a pure desert stage.

The finish:

I guess with about 200 kilometer of empty landscape and nowhere to  hide from sun and wind, the team with the best water carriers win.

SO... what about the wind? Only light winds forecast, from the north in  the Eilar region - but chances of (hold your breath) ... rain( ?!?) and rainshowers could bring their own wind.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 836
    How was Bennett not demoted for that sprint?
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1237
    Possibly because unlike Sagan vs Cav, he did leave enough room to get through. Brave stuff from Viviani to keep on coming though.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10619
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    yeah, I guess it would have been a different story if he won the stage
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 836
    Possibly because unlike Sagan vs Cav, he did leave enough room to get through. Brave stuff from Viviani to keep on coming though.

I don't think the rule is about leaving room though. It's about keeping a straight line and given he started on one barrier went almost across to the other one and then back to the middle of the road. The rule shouldn't only be applied when it ends in an accident or that person winning.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6619
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I don't think the rule is about leaving room though. It's about keeping a straight line and given he started on one barrier went almost across to the other one and then back to the middle of the road. The rule shouldn't only be applied when it ends in an accident or that person winning.
    Very much this!

But in cycling, it's all too often that they say 'nothing happened, so why punish them'.
    I'll tell you why: So that this behaviour happens less often, and nothing happens the next time either!

(disclaimer: I didn't see the sprint or Bennett's sprint)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    (disclaimer: I didn't see the sprint or Bennett's sprint)

at 12:44

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6619
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    at 12:44
    Grazie!

Hm. I have to say I didn't see anything worthy of a relegation or DSQ there in the overhead shot.
    Maybe it looked worse in real time if filmed head-on where you don't see the distances, but Bennett was well clear of everybody bar Viviani when doing his maneuvre.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2122
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game

I've just wasted a couple of hours sort of watching yesterday. A Tour of Qatar stage, dressed up in a bit of pink, with the team that used to dominate Qatar, dominating here.
    As someone on BR said: "not the first time something was betrayed in that neck of the woods for 30 pieces of silver."
  • ReplyReply

•