LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6943
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Giro 2018 - Stage 4: Catania › Caltagirone
« on: May 07, 2018, 11:20 »
It's basically up and down all day, and the finish is no exception, with a little uphill kick of 900m at 8.5% average:

200m of those are flat though, so it's more like ~650m at 10%.

It's the first time Caltagirone hosts a stage finish of the Giro (or any other major race, as far as I can see), so there are few points of reference to rely on, but generally an uphill sprint finish without major gaps looks like the most likely outcome for this stage.
I don't know. 650 metres at 10% are pretty tough. Yes, it'll be an uphill sprint, but more à la Flèche Wallonne or GP de Wallonie ... where gaps do open up.
Of course the prize at stake is 'only' a Giro stage win and not a famous classic or semi-classic, but I still think that even if you're simply not well-positioned at the foot of the climb, you can easily lose 20-30 seconds or more. If you have a bad day on top of that, you can lose even more.

I think that #katusha José Gonçalves, #astana Peio Bilbao, #mitchelton Simon Yates, #quickstep Maximilian Schachmann, #movistar Carlos Betancur, or #fixall Tim Wellens could all go for the stage win and, with a bit of luck, take #rosa as well.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean