Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2288
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
One of the podcast analyses of the Giro so far pointed out that 16 of Yates' seconds advantage are time bonus seconds. If I were Tom's DS, I would henceforth know exactly where EVERY coming time bonus was, and calculate ways to take advantage of each.

Which may be dream-time, I know.  But considering that almost half of Yates' advantage to date is because of time bonuses puts a different complexion on matters. A little, anyway.

And I haven't confirmed this yet, but apparently Chavez lost time today? If he did, that changes things also. Still a hard race for Tom to win - but I'm hoping!

Got confirmation:

General Classification after Stage 10
GBR  1  YATES, Simon (MITCHELTON - SCOTT)              43:42:38
NED  2  DUMOULIN, Tom (SUNWEB)                           +   41
FRA  3  PINOT, Thibaut (GROUPAMA - FDJ)                  +   46
ITA  4  POZZOVIVO, Domenico (BAHRAIN - MERIDA)           + 1:00
ECU  5  CARAPAZ, Richard (MOVISTAR)                      + 1:23
IRL  6  BENNETT, Sam (BORA - HANSGROHE)                  + 1:36
AUS  7  DENNIS, Rohan (BMC RACING)                       + 2:08
ESP  8  BILBAO LOPEZ DE ARMENTIA, Pello (ASTANA)       
CAN  9  WOODS, Michael (EF EDUCATION FIRST - DRAPAC)     + 2:28
GBR  10 FROOME, Chris (SKY)                              + 2:30

So Chavez got dropped somewhere, and #mitchelton will now have one leader. On the bad side, Tom lost a few more seconds.

Not that I dislike him. My family was given one of his bikes from last year's Giro win. By all accounts he's a really nice guy, but......
I am fascinated as to why you are so keen on Tom Dumoulin.
He follows wheels all day in the mountains and takes chunks of time in the ITTs.
Sounds familiar?

Anyhow, presumably Chaves will take the next few days for respite, then look to get up the mountain road at every occasion.
That way he can snaffle up loads of KoM points for the jersey and be there on tap for the final climbs.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.