LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6881
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
You mean, does he ride like Froome?
Got it in one. You could have stopped there.
More like Indurain, no? ;)
Froome attacks on climbs to put the knife into his opponents.

most of us (including me) may not know much about #ag2r Nico Denz - but that was a great performance coming 2nd today in that stage. And he has just published a long blog post about it

http://www.nico-denz.de/giro-d-italia/
Good write up. :cool
One thing is for sure, though: Google Translate sucks at translating German. :D

so just wondering ( and I am prepared to be swamped) but are there any recent (21stC) examples of a GC rider in a top position, being alone in the field in losing such an enormous slug of time (eg >20mins), without any extenuating injury, crash, or other special circumstances???
Ivan Basso in the 2005 Giro stage to Livigno (210 km, 6h46'33" winner's time), swallowing a massive 42 minutes to the stage winner, is the biggest time loss by a GC contender I can remember.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3898
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    the stage was pretty much full gas from the start as it was a big climb first up - so a fight to get in the break as people thought the break would stick.

They were chasing it down and going fast up the big climb and Chavez got distanced along with a large group.  The other contenders then realised that he was in the back group, so all worked together for a lot of kilometres to keep him away. 

This was all with 150 km to go.  The gap wasnt huge, and Quickstep were helping as Vivianni was in the second group as well and they wanted him to win ... but with everyone riding up front the gap soon grew and they gave up.  Mich-Scott had 2 plus Chavez and were never going to be able to make it back on their own so also gave up - with still 150km to go.

It doesnt take that much for this to happen - not a really, really bad day ... just a gap early and the rest willing to work together to enforce it.
  • ReplyReply

•