search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 11321
  • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
ah, those poor lads having to deal with #wilier Luca Scinto... :D

When two riders from lower division Italian teams riding on a wildcard invitation here; Mirco Maestri (Bardiani CSF) and Fausto Masnada (Androni-Giocattoli) went after them to make four up front, there was a lull in the peloton and everyone seemed happy enough to call a truce, especially with another 8km of climbing to go.

With the peloton fanned out across the road # everyone settling into the day, there was a bit of arguing and gesturing going on at the front of the bunch before suddenly one of the Wilier Triestina guys Alex Turrin jumped clear and went after the four leaders.

My Spanish team-mate Fran Ventoso was riding in the second line at the time and told me afterwards that Turrin, probably under orders from his team manager to get up the road today or face the consequences, had pleaded his case with WorldTour compatriot Giovanni Visconti of Bahrain-Merida.

“I never saw it before in my life,” said Fran. “He was ‘Please, please, please, I need to go. I need to go!

After much hand waving, looking around and gesturing as if to say ‘Okay lads, let him go. But this is the last one,’ Visconti moved over, Turrin was allowed through to the front and set off in chase.

Often at the Giro, the smaller Italian teams have their own battle going on and one can’t be seen to be in the break and getting valuable TV time without the other.

I’ve seen managers make their teams ride on the front for the rest of the day as punishment for missing the break.

Turrin eventually got across to the other four about 10km later but the quintet weren’t given the lead I had been expecting.

(from Roche's daily Giro diary)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"