search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 11341
  • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Giro 2018 - Stage 12: Osimo › Imola
« on: May 16, 2018, 22:40 »
Stage 12: Osimo › Imola

No one (understandingly?!) seemed to be too bothered with this stage, so I'll just post the profiles, feel free to add whatever you like

looks like one for the sprinters, but the last couple of k could spice things up quite nicely, especially after the past two hard days of racing:

In his daily blog #bora Cesare Benedetti said that he saved as much energy as possible today to work for Bennett tomorrow, so Bora seems to believe in their sprinter to make it over there.

The descent down to the finish is not too technical, as you can see in the interactive profile (by raffilpt)...

...but #bahrain Mohoric could still have a go I guess. Other potential candidates (among others) to watch out for are the local boys #ag2r Matteo Montaguti, #bardiani Manuel Senni and #androni Manuel Belletti
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3915
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Re: Giro 2018 - Stage 12: Osimo › Imola
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 00:32 »
    rest day today.

the fight to get into the break will be the most interesting part of today
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2305
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:35 »
    IMOLA

Along the via Emilia, where the Appenine’s valley of the Santerno river projects into the Po Valley, Imola is the major city of Bologna’s metropolitan area by extension and the second largest by number of inhabitants, following Bologna.
    MAIN SIGHTS
    Rocca Sforzesca (Sforza Castle, 14th century), Palazzo Vescovile (bishop’s palace, 12th century), Cattedrale di San Cassiano (12th century), Palazzo Tozzoni (home to the Civic Museum), Parco Acque Minerali, Bosco della Frattona nature reserve, Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari.

Population: 70,000
    Foundation: 2nd century B.C.
    Ancient name: Forum Cornelii

They have their on DOCG wine, too.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1453
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:43 »
    It is interesting to note how the Rocca Sforzesca, which is obviously a design that was a "working" fortress, differs from, say, the Norman castles of earlier times.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2664
    « Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 20:20 »
    Last 30 km was well worth a look as wet and windy weather made it far from the relaxed sprint stage most thought it would be. The field was split incrosswinds with 20-something kilometers left to go. Just how it happened is a bit of a mystery as the TV producers missed most of the action today (or was it an ad break attack?)
    Several GC riders were bind in group 3, including #white #movistar Carapaz, #bahrain Pozzovivo, #jumbo Bennett. In addition  #ciclamino #quickstep Viviani was also there (although he seemed quite relaxed about it
    After some km, a productive chase was organized and the front group was caught with about 20 kilometers remaining. In pouring rain, team cars' headlights very visible so it was also dark - that's the  right weather for a #fixall Wellens attack, right?
    However, this time he was chased down by an alert peloton.

Passing the finish line for the first time, the peloton was split again,  and #quickstep  #ciclamino Viviani was dropped for the second time, never to come back.

The Tre Monti climbs saw several attacks that were reeled in, but the last one with #uae Ulissi and #movistar Betancour was hard to catch on the descent, expect for  #bahrain Mohoric who joined them (who else? Crazy good descender). Ulissi dropped back, but Betancour and Mohoric was caught only on the finishing straight, when #bora Sam Bennet accelrated at ~400 m(!) from the line or so.
    #ef Modolo was geting closer at the end, but still, it was a quite comfortable win for Sam Bennet. Comfortable, I guess, only after he made it down the slippery twisted descent of the Tre Monti without incidents.

I was very sure someone would crash, but it seems everyone stayed upright for that difficult descent. High skills racing, class athletes, very impressed!  :cool

With this win for Bennet + 0 for Viviani there may be a race for the  #ciclamino coming up :) 

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:01 by t-72 »

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11341
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 22:49 »
    #movistar Betancour was hard to catch on the descent, expect for  #bahrain Mohoric who joined them (who else? Crazy good descender). Ulissi dropped back, but Betancour and Mohoric was caught only on the finishing straight

talking about those two...

I particularly like the "well, you couldn't hear much on the radio" part :D
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3915
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 00:42 »
    it was pretty fun - and as you say, crazy good skills required by all.

There will be a lot of very tired riders in the peleton today as this stage was not the rolling rest day they were hoping for.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2430
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 03:30 »

What's the deal with Simon Yates' accent? It always sounds like a few different dialects all at the same time to me. In all of about ten seconds there, I swear I could hear bits of English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Australian, Canadian and...Portuguese.
    :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6654
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 09:55 »

What's the deal with Simon Yates' accent? It always sounds like a few different dialects all at the same time to me. In all of about ten seconds there, I swear I could hear bits of English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Australian, Canadian and...Portuguese.

Yeah, it's cool, isn't it? :D

Folks from the old country tell me that I sound weird after ten years in Belgium while I myself don't notice any change. :P You can sort of guess how much of a "veteran" an anglophone is by how mangled his/her accent has become.

Great stage, that. Nothing was certain until the finish line.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1283
    « Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 10:14 »

I've worked it out, Yates's accent depends on who's asking. I couldn't work out what you were talking about as the interviews I was listening to had him talking in what I assume was an authentic Bury accent, Manchester with a hint of darkest Lancasheerr.

However when a foreigner interviewed him yesterday, he failed to adopt the standard English response of talking V E R Y  S L O W L Y  A N D  L O U D L Y. Instead he adopted an accent which was a mixture of every accent found in the race as you describe, vox pelotonum as it was referred to during Saturday's wedding service.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6955
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I've worked it out, Yates's accent depends on who's asking.
    That's nice of him. :)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean