Giro d'Italia 2018 > Giro 2018 - Stage 14: San Vito al Tagliamento > Monte Zoncolan , 186km

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1300
  • The user formerly known as hiero
The day of ultimate truth, for Froome, and perhaps for Dumoulin and Yates. If Froome, or anyone else, is to retain any hope of a GC podium finish, they must show their chops today. All roads lead to Rome - and today all roads must climb the steep slope of Monte Zoncolan as they go to Rome.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 20:04 by M Gee »
    . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10837
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2186
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Hard luck you lot.

Aaaaand the weather forecast is now exactly the same as we have experienced these past two days.
    Sunny, right up until around about the foot of the Zoncolan. Then a big black shower cloud arrives to dump it's load on the riders as the ascend into hell.

Post Merge: May 19, 2018, 10:49
    Tim Wellens's Giro goes the same way as his Tour, last year.
    Abandons due to illness one stage earlier than his previous GT.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:49 by Mellow Velo, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    yeah, most interesting part of the day :D

the stage was alright though, tbh. I just never really warmed up with the Zoncolan

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion

Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 860

There was a point on the climb where if you excuse the expression I will use to describe it but he looked like Froome on Steroids (if the drugs only enhanced how ugly the style was).
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2312
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015

This little recap really doesn't do justice to the drama of the last few kilometers. If you haven't seen it yet, do watch a longer clip with the final 20 minutes or so intact.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2371

You don’t cheer for Fabio because he looks stylish, you cheer for him because when he is having a great day, he races so everyone can see it!  :D I hope they come back!
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1262
    Interesting turnaround with Froome taking everyone by surprise. I believe Yates was probably stronger but didn't know whether to stick with his closer competitors. By the time he decided to chase down Froome the lead was a fraction too big. Is this race now Froome vs Yates? The other huge difference on the Zoncolan was the form of Poels while Chaves was 26mins down the road. Last week Yates had the best team, now it looks to be Sky. Dangerous times.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2186
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Interesting turnaround with Froome taking everyone by surprise. I believe Yates was probably stronger but didn't know whether to stick with his closer competitors. By the time he decided to chase down Froome the lead was a fraction too big. Is this race now Froome vs Yates? The other huge difference on the Zoncolan was the form of Poels while Chaves was 26mins down the road. Last week Yates had the best team, now it looks to be Sky. Dangerous times.

First off, Froome's race is v Pozzovivo. He's 1-33" behind him and his podium spot, with the ITT just around the corner.
    In no way discount Dumoulin. Despite the shortage of time trialing and 4 mountains stages ahead, he has very good form, at least on a par with last year. (regardless of the negative spin he has been putting out since yesterday's stage finish.)
     Poels looked much better yesterday, but on the sort of climb that he has always preferred. De Cruz is yet to show up at the race. Henao, thus far seems to have been riding his own race.
     As far Chaves, I have a feeling that he is being saved by his team, for those big mountains that are waiting in the West.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    First off, Froome's race is v Pozzovivo. He's 1-33" behind him and his podium spot, with the ITT just around the corner.
    In no way discount Dumoulin. Despite the shortage of time trialing and 4 mountains stages ahead, he has very good form, at least on a par with last year. (regardless of the negative spin he has been putting out since yesterday's stage finish.)
     Poels looked much better yesterday, but on the sort of climb that he has always preferred. De Cruz is yet to show up at the race. Henao, thus far seems to have been riding his own race.
     As far Chaves, I have a feeling that he is being saved by his team, for those big mountains that are waiting in the West.

It was conjecture based upon the trend we saw yesterday. If that continues, Froome will be at least level with Pozzovivo by Tuesday evening and pull away thereafter.

I haven't written off TD and I think it is almost certain that he will be in pink until they hit the ski resorts. I just think he is the most likely to come unstuck if he gets caught with his pants down (figuratively this time).

As for Chaves, I hope you're right and if he had a real problem, maybe they'd have withdrawn him. But... looks more hopeful than cunning to me.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    It was conjecture based upon the trend we saw yesterday. If that continues, Froome will be at least level with Pozzovivo by Tuesday evening and pull away thereafter.

conjecture, i.e. bollox
  • ReplyReply

•