Giro d'Italia 2018 > Giro 2018 - Stage 15: Tolmezzo – Sappada, 176km

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1300
  • The user formerly known as hiero
It is the Giro, after all, yes? So many mountains! So little time to see them all! And the peloton will only be conscious of the work they require. No time for scenery for them, except perhaps watching the crazy tifosi.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 20:02 by M Gee »
    . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

M Gee

• Road Captain
    It would appear that we can expect more fireworks today than yesterday. All the pro cycling media I've read are pointing out how little Zoncolan has been decisive, except perhaps in a negative way - you cannot fail - but if you succeed you will only hold your place. Meaning no big diffs in GC time for most. Except the occasional bonk.

That isn't far from what I was expecting, either - but we will see on Saturday. Meanwhile, THIS stage, on a Sunday, will have all the fatigue of Zoncolan in the legs, and we might see big attacks.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10837
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    finally a really good stage design :)

here's an interactive profile of the finale, via @raffilpt

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

M Gee

• Road Captain
    So, Zoncolan was more decisive this year than it has been in the past. I'd bet my bottom dollar we will see attacks today. Froome is back in the frame, and Dumoulin can maybe do something on a day like today. Pinot is not yet out of it, but he faded on Zoncolan, and he needs to make a big move to make up for it. AND, Pinot has been behind before, and attacked to gamble for a win. Pinot is willing to take some risks, and not just follow his power meter.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    Tom speaks after Zoncolan.

"It's still OK, but there's a lot of mountain stages yet to come so if it stays like this uphill every mountain stage then I'll definitely not win the Giro," said Dumoulin, who downplayed the impact Tuesday's time trial to Rovereto will have on the final destination of the maglia rosa.

"It's just one time trial coming up and I think there are four mountains days yet to come, so it's going to be difficult."
    from http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tom-dumoulin-its-going-to-be-difficult-to-win-the-giro-ditalia

Basically affirms what I saw a few days ago, when I totted up the montagne vs the TT. Tom has only a slim chance to win. But he still can win.

We shall see.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10837
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    should be a fun stage today, maybe a good chance for a breakaway to succeed - but they haven't been too lucky so far in this Giro.

#ef Woods did a recon of the finish earlier in the year and those shorter, steep climbs should suit him pretty well. Could be about time for his 1st victory in the World Tour?!
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1262
    Another stage which appears to pose more risk for Dumoulin than his rivals. Sharp ascents followed by quick descents, he won't get back on if gapped and isolated.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    Yup - more risk for Dumo than his rivals. Except Froome, ironically. It is shaping up quickly now. I think we are down to competition between Yates and Dumoulin for 1/2, and Froome, Pinot, and Pozzo for 3. And I may be giving too much credit to Froome. Pinot and Pozzo are close to Tom, but he has consistently been beating them uphill, so I don't think they are much danger for the 2nd step.

Dumoulin is just over 2 minutes down now. The only real question left is how will Yates hold up in the 3rd week.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3885
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Pozzo and Pinot - dumb and dumber.

They really only have 2 rivals for the podium.  Froome and Dumoulin.   Yates is too far ahead, so they cant worry too much about him.

Froome - is behind them on GC, but can time trial a LOT better ... so they need much more time on him in order to keep him off the podium.  Dumoulin is in front on GC, and can also TT a lot better, but is pretty vulnerable in the mountains.

They had distanced Froome, and had him on the ropes.  They worked fairly well for a good long while gaining time on him ... but then when trying to get Tom to work it all seemed to fall apart.  They went from 20 seconds to yates, to 40 or 50 in short order ...

Dumoulin was struggling big time, and dropped off the back.  Surely it was time to put him to the sword, work together and put time into BOTH of them in order to secure a podium position.

But no - they argued over who was going to work and in the end, Dumoulin got back on. 

Giving them the benefit of the doubt - they perhaps didnt have much left ... but working together they could have held off Dumoulin and gained a little on him.

• ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    Pozzo and Pinot - dumb and dumber.

They really only have 2 rivals for the podium.  Froome and Dumoulin.   Yates is too far ahead, so they cant worry too much about him.

Froome - is behind them on GC, but can time trial a LOT better ... so they need much more time on him in order to keep him off the podium.  Dumoulin is in front on GC, and can also TT a lot better, but is pretty vulnerable in the mountains.

They had distanced Froome, and had him on the ropes.  They worked fairly well for a good long while gaining time on him ... but then when trying to get Tom to work it all seemed to fall apart.  They went from 20 seconds to yates, to 40 or 50 in short order ...

Dumoulin was struggling big time, and dropped off the back.  Surely it was time to put him to the sword, work together and put time into BOTH of them in order to secure a podium position.

But no - they argued over who was going to work and in the end, Dumoulin got back on. 

Giving them the benefit of the doubt - they perhaps didnt have much left ... but working together they could have held off Dumoulin and gained a little on him.

And if they had worked with Dumoulin - they would have put that needed time on Froome.
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 124
    And if they had worked with Dumoulin - they would have put that needed time on Froome.

Yes, but I do think Dumolin is more dangerous for their podium position than Froome. I see Dumolin doing a better ITT tomorrow than Froome and out climbing Froome in the remaining mountain stages. I don't see Froome on the podium in Rome.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3885
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    they have no chance of reaching Yates.

they have very little chance of reaching Dumoulin after the ITT.

Both of them are fighting for 3rd ... and Froome will likely be up with them after the ITT (provided he doesnt have another 'moment') ... and they need time on HIM to get 3rd.

• ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    they have no chance of reaching Yates.

they have very little chance of reaching Dumoulin after the ITT.

Both of them are fighting for 3rd ... and Froome will likely be up with them after the ITT (provided he doesnt have another 'moment') ... and they need time on HIM to get 3rd.

Exactly.
  • ReplyReply

•