Giro d'Italia 2018 > Giro 2018 - Stage 18: Abbiategrasso > Prato Nevoso, 196km

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1300
  • The user formerly known as hiero
The first of 3 mountain stages, this one merely presents a needle in the rear. But it is another needle for a horse's rear end. The last 30 km are uphill. The steep section is nearly 20 km long. Nothing like as steep as Zoncolan, but still a long drag.

• ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1262
    Prato Nevoso, that's a ski resort I'd never heard of. Over 100km of piste less than 100 kms from the Med. About the same size as the world famous Cortina that they passed through today but infinitely easier to get to.

Following cycling is good for your geographical knowledge as well as pharmaceutical.   :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2186
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Here's the details of the whole climb.

And

:D
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     The stage is commonly referred to elsewhere, as one of these:

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10837
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Yates should be the favourite again. but is unlikely to risk losing time due to other getting bonus seconds I guess. So will this finally be one for a breakaway? Or will the #mitchelton #mitchelton #mitchelton #mitchelton train just keep rollin'?! :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2371
    The stage is commonly referred to elsewhere, as one of these:

Perfect for Geraint Thomas, then!
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
     Could very well be another Oropa, but is Tom's condition, at this stage, as good?

Bit of a nothing headwind, by the looks.

• ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1262
    Could very well be another Oropa, but is Tom's condition, at this stage, as good?

It looks to me like an Oropa x 2

But what I can't work out is whether that means it will be twice as good for Tom Dumoulin or half as good.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6488
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Bit of a surprise there but, if you ask me, I thought Yates actually looked grey. Really washed out. A big eyebrow raiser was always welcome but this stage was not where I would have expected it.

Nice to see a BOTD go all the way with 15" by the last climb. So rare nowadays.

• ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

search

• World Champion
    well well, the race on. Looking forward to the weekend :)

quite fitting for this crazy Giro that the 1st break to stay clear is one without real climbers, on a mountain top finish :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org

quite fitting for this crazy Giro that the 1st break to stay clear is one without real climbers, on a mountain top finish :D

Yeah, Van Emden would have gladly swapped with Gesink.

Bit sad for Plaza, who had hoped to complete his collection of stage wins in all GTs. Thought he was just trolling on the lower slopes with all that shoulder rolling but kudos anyway for riding back on and almost showing the youngsters a clean pair of wheels.

36 wins for #quickstep :o
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Yeah, Van Emden would have gladly swapped with Gesink.

even Battaglin would have won from that breakaway, I think.

But anyway, those guys were strong enough to hold a 10-20s gap from the start to km 15 or so before the peloton finally gave up chasing - so they deserved a place in there. Most climbers would have not been able to keep up anyway
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2371
    Back to the GC racing, this list can still be reshuffled it seems. I wonder if the other GC riders noticed #rosa Yates and #fdj Pinot were looking tired before attacking today? I imagine Froome did, because he stayed with them the longest before he made one of his trademark "late" surges. That is "late" as in when everyone else have completed their accelration, I will spin up to them. He is extremely economical with his explosive power, but today, when he passed by Yates, I think that was the best we have seen of him so far in this giro as far as accelrations go?
    However, I am not sure how much Dumoulin saw before he left, I think he maybe attacked because he felt he might succeed with it?

And question 2 where was #mitchelton Chaves today? I could only see Nieve there at the end. Maybe Esteban is fading even more.

• ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1300
    • The user formerly known as hiero

It looks to me like an Oropa x 2

But what I can't work out is whether that means it will be twice as good for Tom Dumoulin or half as good.

If I could remember where I saw it, one commentator / writer noted that Tom's performance this year was technically superior to last year's at this point. Hindsight - looks like it was as good as Oropa or a bit better, eh? And the race is on, indeed it is.

Now, please excuse me while I do a bit of fandom elbow lifting :party :party :party
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3885
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Chavez was there for quite a while at the start of hte climb.  Not his usual self, but not as bad as Aru

I was expecting something from Froome when they sent Poels up the road, so the fireworks didnt surprise me]

Makes the next few days interesting
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Chavez was there for quite a while at the start of hte climb.  Not his usual self, but not as bad as Aru

I was expecting something from Froome when they sent Poels up the road, so the fireworks didnt surprise me]

Makes the next few days interesting

I thought Aru deliberately sat up this time though. He appeared to be chatting to others when the camera picked him up, didn't look too sore about it. Perhaps eyeing salvation by stage win in the next couple of days.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    I thought Aru deliberately sat up this time though. He appeared to be chatting to others when the camera picked him up, didn't look too sore about it. Perhaps eyeing salvation by stage win in the next couple of days.

He did. In fact he was smiling. (well smirking more like)
    Perhaps in the knowledge of things past and things to come.
    Sestriere and Cervinia: the two places to host his last reincarnation.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3885
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    or perhaps in the knowledge that he was getting to go home.  :D
  • ReplyReply

•