Giro d'Italia 2018 > Rest Day 3

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 3885
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
Rest Day 3
« on: May 21, 2018, 01:57 »
Well - pretty interesting Giro so far.

GC

1Simon Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott   65:57:37   
2Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb   0:02:11   
3Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita Bahrain-Merida   0:02:28   
4Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ   0:02:37   
5Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana Pro Team   0:04:27   
6Richard Carapaz (Ecu) Movistar Team   0:04:47   
7Chris Froome (GBr Team Sky   0:04:52   
8George Bennett (NZl) LottoNL-Jumbo   0:05:34   
9Pello Bilbao (Spa) Astana Pro Team   0:05:59   
10Patrick Konrad (Aut) Bora-Hansgrohe   0:06:13   
11Rohan Dennis(Aus) BMC Racing Team   0:06:41   
12Ben O'Connor (Aus) Dimension Data   0:07:12   
13Sam Oomen (Ned) Team Sunweb   0:07:27   
14Carlos Betancur (Col) Movistar Team   0:08:00   
15Alexandre Geniez (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale   0:09:00   
16Wout Poels (Ned) Team Sky   0:09:38   
17Michael Woods (Can) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale   0:09:49   
18Davide Formolo (Ita) Bora-Hansgrohe   0:09:56   
19Sergio Henao (Col) Team Sky   0:13:15   
20José Gonçalves (Por) Katusha-Alpecin   0:15:20

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Re: Rest Day 3
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 02:03 »
    I cant work out how to post the pcs thingo for the GC results and other classifications - only the stage.  If someone can edit the above post ... great
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 02:12 »
    so - we have essentially 5 in the running for the podium

Yates
    Dumoulin
    Pozzovivo
    Pinot and
    Froome

Froome is at 4.52 - but he is likely to gain maybe 1.30 on Yates and maybe 2.30 on Pozzovivo and Pinot in the TT.   Dumo also will gain around the same.  (and Yates 1 min on Pozzivivo and Pinot)

Assuming that would give us a GC of

Yates-
    Dumoulin+41
    Froome+3.22
    Pozzovivo+3.28
    Pinot+3.37

I do not think that Froome, Pozzo or Pinot can make back that kind of time ... but the race for 3rd will certainly be interesting.

Yates has to do an incredible time trial to limit his losses to Dumoulin ...  but he does have the advantage of the ITT being soon and several mountain stages afterwards.  If for whatever reason he ends up losing a bit more time, and loses pink - Tom is pretty vulnerable in the mountains and Yates does have ample opportunity to get it back.

Barring major incidents or accidents - I think Yates has it.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2312
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 06:19 »
    Here are a couple of things to watch on a day with no racing.

For whatever reason, it appears that these two stages are the only ones that Cosmo has covered so far.

Not his best effort ever, but worth a few minutes of viewing time.

If they don't work for you, be sure to click on the No, please help! link embedded in the opening screen. (That's what I have to do.) It should stream automatically after that.

Stage 6 - The day Yates took charge
    http://cyclocosm.com/2018/05/how-the-race-was-won-giro-ditalia-2018-stage-6/

Stage 14 - Zoncolan
    http://cyclocosm.com/2018/05/how-the-race-was-won-giro-ditalia-2018-stage-14/

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6329
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 07:38 »
    Dennis is doing better than I thought. Okay he's not in real GC contention, but the amount of places and time that he has been losing over the past week and a half has been dribbles rather than massive haemorrhages. After the TT he could potentially be in sixth and then it's a case of hanging in there through 18, 19 and 20. Top ten could be on the cards.

O'Connor is doing all right in his GT debut as well. What are the best GC results in the modern era for people riding their first three week race?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10837
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 07:51 »
    O'Connor is doing all right in his GT debut as well. What are the best GC results in the modern era for people riding their first three week race?

Hirt came 12th last year. Can't think of anyone doing better in the past 10 years or so at the moment... Bernal is likely to change that this summer though

Edit: Pinot finished 10th in his first Tour
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6795
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 08:34 »
    I cant work out how to post the pcs thingo for the GC results and other classifications - only the stage.  If someone can edit the above post ... great
    Unfortunately, that doesn't work anymore. :(
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6795
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 08:36 »
    Dennis is doing better than I thought. Okay he's not in real GC contention, but the amount of places and time that he has been losing over the past week and a half has been dribbles rather than massive haemorrhages. After the TT he could potentially be in sixth and then it's a case of hanging in there through 18, 19 and 20. Top ten could be on the cards.

Hirt came 12th last year. Can't think of anyone doing better in the past 10 years or so at the moment... Bernal is likely to change that this summer though

It's eleven years ago, but Andy Schleck was second in the 2007 Giro, his first-ever GT. :)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 08:50 »
    I'll have my usual quick look at the minor classifications...

#ciclamino Classifica a punti

Team Corridore punti
    1      #quickstep      VIVIANI Elia      237
    2      #bora      BENNETT Sam      197
    3      #mitchelton      YATES Simon Philip      113
    4      #ef      MODOLO Sacha      102
    5      #androni      BALLERINI Davide      98
    6      #androni      FRAPPORTI Marco      89
    7      #jumbo      VAN POPPEL Danny      89
    8      #bahrain      BONIFAZIO Niccolo'      68
    9      #wilier      ZHUPA Eugert      64
    10      #jumbo      BATTAGLIN Enrico      59

Viviani has a healthy lead of 40 points, and with Sam Bennett showing no interest in the intermediate sprints at all so far (every single of his points comes from the stage finishes), he is on track to defend it until Rome.

Wednesday's stage #17 comes with some uncertainties for him though:

It's a category b) stage with full points for the Ciclamino, but with a 10km 5.5% climb right from the start. After essentially two rest days it's likely to cause havoc, impossible to control for Quick Step, so he needs to hope for Bennett not to join the breakaway.

In fact, it's more likely anyway that we will see Modolo or Ballerini in that breakaway instead, but even if one of them scores the full 90 points on that day, it'll be difficult to still challenge Viviani. And Simon Yates would need to win another 10 mountain stages to come back into contention.

#androni Davide Ballerini leads me to a minor minor classification... the "Traguardo Volante"

Team Corridore punti
    1      #androni      BALLERINI Davide      71
    2      #androni      FRAPPORTI Marco      61
    3      #wilier      MOSCA Jacopo      36
    4      #wilier      ZHUPA Eugert      36
    5      #katusha      BELKOV Maxim      34

There are still 100 points on the table (10 points at each of the two intermediate sprints per stage), but Androni should have this one in the bag.

Surprisingly (although taking most of those points form breakaway groups) Ballerini is pretty far down the "Classifica Fuga generale" classification (12th with 226 km) while his team mate Frapporti leads that ranking by a good margin:

Team Corridore km
    1      #androni      FRAPPORTI Marco      632
    2      #bardiani      BARBIN Enrico      502
    3      #wilier      ZHUPA Eugert      481
    4      #wilier      MOSCA Jacopo      448
    5      #academy      BOIVIN Guillaume      321

Only groups of 10 or less guys count for this, so this is probably the reason for this huge difference between the two.

#blue Classifica scalatori

Team Corridore punti
    1      #mitchelton      YATES Simon Philip      91
    2      #bardiani      CICCONE Giulio      52
    3      #mitchelton      CHAVES Jhoan Esteban      47
    4      #fdj      PINOT Thibaut      46
    5      #sky      FROOME Chris      36
    6      #bahrain      POZZOVIVO Domenico      36
    7      #androni      MASNADA Fausto      35
    8      #uae      CONTI Valerio      33
    9      #ag2r      MONTAGUTI Matteo      29
    10      #movistar      CARAPAZ Richard      27

Really hard to say how this will pan out. Stage #17 offers minor points only (7) and #18 is basically a one climb stage, with Yates as the clear favourite again, given his shape at the moment. So if Yates wins that one, Ciccone would go into these final two mountain stages with a ~70 points deficit.

The first stage offers 102 points (67 underway + 35 at the finish) and the second one 105 (70 underway and 35 at the finish), so mathematically it's still very well possible, but scoring on both days will be very difficult, especially as Ciccone has wasted a lot of energy already.

I think he should go for the stage win from the breakaway on #18 and thereby take all points of the day. If he manages that, he has a chance to win the jersey. If not, it's going to be a nearly impossible task.

Esteban Chaves hasn't looked stellar over the past days, but he is still not out of it either. He's likely to fill into a supporting role for Yates of course, but having a team mate in the breakaway ahead on a hard mountain stage can never hurt for the race leader. Chaves thereby could score more points and still win the jersey.

It's also not completely unreasonable to believe that Froome will win all remaining mountain stages (thereby raising his mountain score to ~150), or that someone goes from 0 to the top from two successful consecutive breakaways on the final two days, but overall Simon Yates should be the favourite. Especially if he ends up with a time deficit to Dumoulin after the time trial, he needs to make up by chasing more bonus seconds (in terms of wins = also more mountain points).

#white Classifica giovani

Team Corridore Distacco
    1      #astana      LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel      
    2      #movistar      CARAPAZ Richard      +00’ 20”
    3      #dimension      O'CONNOR Ben      +02’ 45”
    4      #sunweb      OOMEN Sam      +03’ 00”
    5      #quickstep      SCHACHMANN Maximilian      +33’ 59”
    6      #mitchelton      HAIG Jack      +35’ 23”
    7      #androni      MASNADA Fausto      +36’ 41”
    8      #uae      CONTI Valerio      +40’ 40”
    9      #bahrain      MOHORIC Matej      +43’ 41”
    10      #bora      GROSSSCHARTNER Felix      +47’ 42”

This is actually closer than expected, with Carapaz doing a fantastic job so far and also O'Connor and Oomen are not completely out of it yet. Neither of them is a stellar time trialist, so I can't really say how tomorrow's day will influence the competition, but I guess it's more likely that it'll come down to the mountain qualities, with Lopez as the winner in the end.

Classifica "Super Team"

Team Distacco
    1      #sky      TEAM SKY       
    2      #mitchelton      MITCHELTON - SCOTT       +04’ 27”
    3      #astana      ASTANA PRO TEAM       +05’ 00”
    4      #groupama      GROUPAMA - FDJ       +29’ 29”
    5      #bora      BORA - HANSGROHE       +30’ 01”
    6      #movistar      MOVISTAR TEAM       +32’ 13”
    7      #ag2r      AG2R LA MONDIALE       +34’ 49”
    8      #sunweb      TEAM SUNWEB       +47’ 25”
    9      #dimension      TEAM DIMENSION DATA       +53’ 24”
    10      #uae      UAE TEAM EMIRATES       +1h 10’ 15”

Neither Sky, not Mitchelton and Astana have looked super eager to defend their good position in the team rankings so far, but with the strongest climbers in their ranks, they just ended up in those positions anyway.

This is particularly interesting, as this competition is usually heavily influenced by breakaways (and the motivation to join them) - but we haven't had a single successful one in this Giro so far.

Sky will probably increase the lead in the time trial tomorrow, and with Poels coming back in shape they look like the favourites to win, but it's still far from decided and things can turn around completely almost every day.

Ag2R was super active in the breakaways over the past days, often with two or three guys in there, just not catching the right one so far. If they (or maybe Movistar) finally get three guys in the right one on Wednesday and wins by half an hour or so, even teams in the bottom half of the top 10 can come back into contention.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2186
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 09:13 »
    so - we have essentially 5 in the running for the podium

Yates
    Dumoulin
    Pozzovivo
    Pinot and
    Froome

Froome is at 4.52 - but he is likely to gain maybe 1.30 on Yates and maybe 2.30 on Pozzovivo and Pinot in the TT.   Dumo also will gain around the same.  (and Yates 1 min on Pozzivivo and Pinot)

Assuming that would give us a GC of

Yates-
    Dumoulin+41
    Froome+3.22
    Pozzovivo+3.28
    Pinot+3.37

I do not think that Froome, Pozzo or Pinot can make back that kind of time ... but the race for 3rd will certainly be interesting.

Yates has to do an incredible time trial to limit his losses to Dumoulin ...  but he does have the advantage of the ITT being soon and several mountain stages afterwards.  If for whatever reason he ends up losing a bit more time, and loses pink - Tom is pretty vulnerable in the mountains and Yates does have ample opportunity to get it back.

My cloudy crystal ball reads differently to yours.
    A mostly flat ITT: I reckon Dumoulin takes ≃ 5 seconds a km off Yates.
    So, 150-170 seconds......................and pink.
    Gawd knows which Froome will turn up, but I seriously doubt it will be the one who can match Tom's time.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 09:19 »
    My cloudy crystal ball reads differently to yours.
    A mostly flat ITT: I reckon Dumoulin takes ≃ 5 seconds a km off Yates.
    So, 150-170 seconds......................and pink.

I tend to agree. That the 2nd part doesn't look flat at all probably even plays into his hands, as the little climbers will have spent loads of energy already by then while he can still power on over those hills
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2371
    « Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 10:14 »
    I am going to rip a post I was writing out of a darkside thread and post it here instead because we were simply discussing performance:

The way I see it, stranger things have happened..... winning a prestige stage victory, Sky  can achieve that in any GT, at least with a desperate effort. To win overall, they need to perform consistently better than they did in the first half, and both consistently and considerably better than #mitchelton Yates, #sunweb Dumoulin and #fdj Pinot. 

Dear Sirs,
    I would like to modify these statements to: Simply, not going to happen!
    #sky Sky (especially Froome) are not riding consistently and not considerably stronger than the competition.  In fact, the desperate effort to win the Zoncolan meant the Sunday was ridden in powerless mode. I think MV hit the nail on the head when he said:

.....What it suggests to me is that Froome has not been able to hit the much higher wattage (perhaps as a result of his crash) necessary for those short climbs. ....

Can I can do some reverse nerd bashing on the term wattage? Not meaning to insult anyone, but..there really ain't no such term in physics. The constant use of this term in cycling does a lot to confuse fans that we are really dealing with physics, and instead go buy 2000 Euro cranksets :)

"Wattage" is effect,  which is work per time unit (measured in ... Watts!) . Work (measured in Joules) being the equivalent of force times distance. 

So, Froome is not able to work hard enough because he is too weak to generate enough force to follow on the accelrations. His problem is with the force part of the equation. He can't step hard enough on the pedal for long enough!

Froome doesn't like to speak about his own weaknesses (for fear of competitors exploiting the information, maybe...) but he has been cycling with some tape on his right knee for a while now. Does anyone knows if he also did that before the Jerusalem stage?

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 10:26 »
    Froome doesn't like to speak about his own weaknesses (for fear of competitors exploiting the information, maybe...) but he has been cycling with some tape on his right knee for a while now. Does anyone knows if he also did that before the Jerusalem stage?

no, he did not

he also mentioned in an interview (I think I posted that somewhere a couple of days ago, maybe only in the chat though) that the crash cost him more than he first wanted to admit

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/sporten/v-wielrennen/Giro/1.3198938
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2371
    « Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 10:45 »

I tend to agree, but I will not deliver my final answers until after the time trial and the Cima Coppi. #sunweb Dumoulin seems to lack the little extra that he had last year. It might be him that will fade into the third week and not #rosa #mitchelton Yates, the way it looked on the two last stages.

However, the last stage to Sappada was probably an ideal stage for Yates' abilities. He might be less favored by the terrain in the third week mountain stages, which will be more similar to the .. Gran Sasso stage.... and ...the Etna Stage... , where Yates actually was a little bit less dominant, measured in tenths of a second or so...  :S It is seriously starting to get hard to see how he can loose this, if he is not crashing into a snowbank on the way down from the Cima Coppi.

There is the uncertainty about how much Dumoulin can take back in the time trial, but there are also two that can possibly climb better than Yates in the high alpine, #fdj Thibaut Pinot and #astana Miguel Angel Lopez. They both ahve a record of wins in Tour de Suisse that Yates doesn't have, and that might indicate an advantage in the third week.

Both of them are also quite unpredictable in the time-trial, with mostly second-tier performances but some really good days, like Lopez beating Cancellara and one of Pinot's TdF ITTs in the Romandie: beating Dumoulin, Froome and Bob Jungels.

Anyway, my point is, what if one of these two guys suddenly take 2 minutes on Yates in the time-trial? I think they can be much harder to handle for the #rosa in the third week mountain stages than what #Dumoulin will be. 

The race is certainly not over yet, even if Yates for now is racing like a reincarnation of Contador at one of his more impressive moments.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 10:56 »
    yeah I did not include Lopez in my conclusions ... but with Superman, anything is possible.  He could do the time trial of his life and get back into contention for a podium.

As for Yates - I agree there is a substantial possibility for Dumoulin to get into pink tomorrow - but in the form he is in, I kind of expect an extra-amazing performance from Yates to stay inside 2 minutes.   Either case I expect him to be able to outclimb Dumoulin and take enough to win the jersey before Rome.
  • ReplyReply

• Caruut

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 497
      • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
    • Awards: Post of 2014
    « Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 14:03 »
    Thought I'd have a look back to the 2017 Tour to assess Yates' final week prospects.

He effectively lost time (against Froome) on 5 stages

1: 45s (14km ITT)
    9: 1m15s (multi-mountain stage with a descent and run-in - the Uran one)
    17: 2m (multi-mountain stage with a descent)
    18: 40s (multi-mountain up to l'Izoard)
    20: 1m30s (22km ITT)

He was trailing the overall lead by 2m going into the final week, and left it 6m in arrears. Clearly, he's stronger than last year, and the ability to sustain a challenge into the third week is one of the things we should expect younger riders to progress most in. Multi-mountain stages also seem to give him the most difficulty. Right now I think he has it - and I think the emotion on the finish line yesterday was him starting to believe too - but this definitely isn't over yet.

Also worth mentioning that after stage 17 he found himself in a strange position in the GC. His position was all but guaranteed with Dan Martin 2m ahead of him and his rival for #white Meintjes 2m behind him, so he may have been riding within himself a bit with little to fight for and quite a bit to lose.

The big problem the others have is that he's not very ambushable, either with a teammates-in-the-breakaway or coalition-of-convenience approach (and in any case his rivals are bickering far too much for that to work). His team are looking great, and though he's generally been superior uphill, it's his kick that is really shining. Basically the only way to get away from him is to grind him off your wheel at the moment, and nobody can do that right now. Add to that what seems to me sharp racecraft (getting away at just the right time yesterday) and the luxury of three stages in the bank and he's gonna be very difficult to beat.

But Dumoulin could do it. They'll be very close together after the ITT, and Dumoulin has shown enough in the mountains these last few years that we shouldn't discount him having a great third week. I don't think the others have it, but if Pinot, Pozzo or Lopez take some time on Yates in the ITT then they will surely go for it in the mountains.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 18:15 by Caruut »

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1262
    « Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 14:13 »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a step up in the level of Yates's ITT performance. His overall performance is higher this Giro than anything we've seen before, he had a great prologue and, as a product of British track cycling, he should be technically sound, just lacking the power of the bigger riders.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 14:23 »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a step up in the level of Yates's ITT performance. His overall performance is higher this Giro than anything we've seen before, he had a great prologue and, as a product of British track cycling, he should be technically sound, just lacking the power of the bigger riders.

here is quite an interesting interview with Orica DS Shayne Bannan about it

https://www.flobikes.com/events/6173896-2018-giro-ditalia/videos?limit=25&sort=recent&playing=6204725

he mentions that starting in two grand tours last year was done with the specific purpose to increase Yates' physical abilities and endurance, and that he has worked a lot on his time trialing over the past 8 months. He even calls time trialling his "biggest improvement" since last year.

Unfortunately the video is cut off when he is about to give a number he expects Yates to lose to Dumoulin.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 860
    « Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 17:36 »

Konig was 9th at the 2013 Vuelta although I think he was a bit older than most making their GT debut.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4176
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 20182017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 19:34 »
    I'm shocked to see some talk about Dumoulin gaining 2.5 to 3 minutes on Yates. Personally I think it'll be between 1 and 1.5 minute, with Pinot thereabouts as well, and Pozzovivo a further 30s back.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 19:52 »
    I'm shocked to see some talk about Dumoulin gaining 2.5 to 3 minutes on Yates. Personally I think it'll be between 1 and 1.5 minute, with Pinot thereabouts as well, and Pozzovivo a further 30s back.

it's really hard to say, I think. Last year, for comparison (marginally longer, I know), only 4 riders finished within 2 minutes to Dumoulin. And I can't really see Yates finishing a long(ish) time trial in the Top 5. On the other hand, Quintana finished only a further 57 seconds behind, in 23rd - and I would expect Yates to be stronger than Quintana.

So I can't really make up my mind yet...
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1441
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 20:03 »
    Dumo knows he has to go full gas and get as much time as possible. I think he’ll get more than 2 minutes on Yates.

I also think Yates will win the overall, he’s clearly in better climbing shape than everyone else. Superman is probably the only one who could nick a stage off him.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 20:53 »
    I'm going to guess at between 1:45 and 2:00.

I think Yates can be among the better non TT specialists and I think they'll be coming in with a deficit around that mark.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 20182017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 21:06 »
    it's really hard to say, I think. Last year, for comparison (marginally longer, I know), only 4 riders finished within 2 minutes to Dumoulin. And I can't really see Yates finishing a long(ish) time trial in the Top 5. On the other hand, Quintana finished only a further 57 seconds behind, in 23rd - and I would expect Yates to be stronger than Quintana.

So I can't really make up my mind yet...
    I was going to write something about last year's TT being much longer, but I looked it up and... it wasn't 50+km monster I remembered :S
  • ReplyReply

• Caruut

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 497
      • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
    • Awards: Post of 2014
    « Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 21:33 »
    I was going to write something about last year's TT being much longer, but I looked it up and... it wasn't 50+km monster I remembered :S

70km total across the two TTs though, maybe your brain's stitched them into one giant one?
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2186
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 21:34 »

It's only 5kms shorter than last year and just Thomas and Jungels got within 1'-40" of him that day.
    Pinot loss 2 and three quarter minutes and Pozzo just over 3 minutes.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 860
    « Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 21:49 »
    It's only 5kms shorter than last year and just Thomas and Jungels got within 1'-40" of him that day.

That was the first TT of the race which was on stage 10. In the final TT on stage 21 Pinot lost 1min 27secs to dumoulin over 29.3 km. As this TT is Stage 16 perhaps Pinot will lose somewhere between those 2 figures in terms of loss per km so something around 2 mins 15 secs for Pinot would seem a sort of figure you could expect Pinot losing.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 21:50 »
    The gaps in the final TT were much smaller though. Dumoulin doesn't seem convinced the parcours is made for big gains, he calls it a 30km straight race track (not sure why exactly that's bad for him - but he's generally quite honest).
    Last year's first TT was more of a rolling TT from memory - then again my memory also said it was at least 50km long.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 22:09 »
    The final one was also generally downhill so gaps would have been condensed

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6488
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 13:30 »

OT but this seems no longer to be possible unfortunately, at least for those of us who need to show results in an automatic way, which is the "old way" as far as PCS seems to be concerned.

Embedding on an individual basis using the codes provided by PCS itself does make it possible but for security reasons we can't allow members to post the "iframes" those embed codes contain.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni