Giro d'Italia 2018 > Giro 2018 Round-Up

Poll

How would you rate this Giro, from 1 to 5 stars?

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 10847
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Giro 2018 Round-Up
« on: May 28, 2018, 13:06 »
So - all doping talk aside - what do we make of this Giro? How would you rate it?

In the end, the top 3 pre-race favorites ended up on the podium - but after a lot of ups and downs.

I'll start with something positive: very few (big) crashes. I think Ben O'Connor was the only rider who crashed out, wasn't he?!
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10902
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Re: Giro 2018 Round-Up
    « Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 15:03 »
    removing the massive Pink elephant ( well 2 of them ) it was an amazing race I didn´t get to see all of it. but it pretty crazy from the get go

Out of Europe start, the crashes in the ITT warm up - Deniis sneaking the Pink to Yates going bonkers then falling apart as Froome dropped them all with 80 Km to go on stage 19

The white jersey was fun to keep tabs on

Postman Sam with 3 stages, Viviani 4 plus Points

2nd best Giro in resent times after the 2010 one without the Elephants, but 2010 has some as well and all racing so there is that
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2187
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 15:19 »
     I can't get the disaster that was Israel out of my mind, but from then on, top marks.
    Drama in bucket loads.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6493
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 19:59 »
    I can't get the disaster that was Israel out of my mind, but from then on, top marks.
    Drama in bucket loads.

This. Israel was a sporting and moral faux pas.

Aside from that, an incredibly hard edition. That old trope that it's the riders that make the race hard not the parcours, that's never been truer. There were, what, one or two days when the bunch just sat up? Breakaways never seemed to get more than a couple of minutes. I thought it was just #mitchelton inexperience of leading races or rather more than usual GC teams taking an early interest.

And yet, while this may now read as irony, I did think that there were still a lot of days where it was all wrapped up in the last 20km or so. It was just that they always rode really hard up to that point too.

It's been a long time since we saw this many potential top fivers go bang and lose 30+ minutes in a single stage. And probably just as long since we saw a comeback of that magnitude unassisted by the crashes of others.

Unprecedented.

But one thing we can count on is that the Tour will not be like this... :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6331
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 20:22 »
    As always a lot depends on which stages you see. I managed to catch the following stages:

3 - Snoozefest
    10 - Chaves having his off day meant there was the fun of the failed chase + a late break won
    15 - The only real GC action I saw
    17 - A sprint finish, but high energy racing the whole stage (apart from the neutralized start)
    21 - Snoozefest

I think that was all I saw (if I did see anything else I've obviously already forgotten it :lol), so that's probably just into glass half full territory from the racing side of things.

Looking beyond the racing there are a few positives and negatives.

+

A big win at the bookies :betting
    Top-5 in Velogames :shh

-

Carlton Kirby not doing the RCS comms any more
    The senior Bike Geeeeeeeeeeeks not setting the world alight.

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2378
    « Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 20:46 »
    I agree with MV and L'arri: Didn't really like the Israel start, much for the same political reasons they paid $$$ to host it, however, putting that aside, I think it was a very good vintage that put some of my scepticism when seeing the parcours first time to the side.

I am not really a fan of the BIG mountain stages and Zoncolan is really overrated IMHO but I love stages with many climbs like the Tolmezzo-Sappada. However, this years edition of Etna was much better for cycling than the previous one (when will they finish the climb to 2800 meters above sea level?)

Then I have to admit that the 19th stage to Bardonecchia, despite being one of those BIG mountain stages, was well planned by the organizers, and follows a giro tradition of offering an opportunity to those that are able to turn the race upside down in the final weekend.

Of the could-have-been things I actually noted the 2nd (Israel coastline) and 3rd stage (the Negev desert stage): with a strong wind blowing on at least one of those stages it would have given us a very different race, it is rare for grand tours to offer so much wind-exposed terrain.

Another point is about the sprint stages: they could have more of those, and more good sprinters in the race. In terms of total load on the riders, this edition seems to have been borderline (the reduction to 8-man teams may have contributed to this). Too many too hard stages isn't good for the health of the sport. However, not sure the organizers are to blame as I don't think any previewers foresaw the hard racing, it was created mostly by the riders themselves and not by the organizers.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 22:15 »
    This race had a lot going for it. It was one of the best GT's in my time watching the sport. We thought we had seen the emergence of a new GT rider in Yates. I do now wonder if his attack on stage 15 was the ultimate attempt at bluffing the last week of a grand tour. Although knowing he would suffer in week 3 trying to make it look like he was so much better there was no point attacking him. The top 2 were the 2 riders who had the most consistent form in the race overall. Some might question that about Froome but he never lost much more than a minute on one individual stage to his rivals and then stuck it to them on one stage. Dumoulin must be wishing that he'd been born about 20 years earlier as with the amount of TTing back then he would have been a multiple GT winner by now. I think this race has also shown that there is a lot to look for in the future with regards to GT's as Dumoulin and Yates although not eligible for the young rider category are still youong and with Lopez, Carapaz, Oomen and the ultimately unfortunate O'Connor there is a lot of talent out there to ride well in 3 week races in the future.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1262
    « Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 20:42 »
    As always a lot depends on which stages you see. ...

Absolutely. I was incredibly lucky in that I managed to catch pretty much all the meaningful action and there was a huge amount of it.

Overall a stunning race, with aggressive racing throughout. Maybe the best GT of the last decade, just the thing we're not allowed to talk about tainting the picture, like spinach caught in the teeth of a perfect smile.
  • ReplyReply

•