• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 6644
  • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
Tour de Suisse
« on: June 09, 2018, 19:31 »
Stage 1 (TTT)  »  Frauenfeld  ›  Frauenfeld   (18k)

Stage 2  »  Frauenfeld  ›  Frauenfeld   (155k)

Stage 3  »  Oberstammheim  ›  Gansingen   (182k)

Stage 4  »  Gansingen  ›  Gstaad   (189k)

Stage 5  »  Gstaad  ›  Leukerbad   (155k)

Stage 6  »  Fiesch  ›  Gommiswald   (186k)

Stage 7  »  Eschenbach/Atzmännig  ›  Arosa   (170k)

Stage 8  »  Bellinzona  ›  Bellinzona   (123k)

Stage 9 (ITT)  »  Bellinzona  ›  Bellinzona   (34k)

18 x WT teams +  #aquablue #direct #nippo
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Re: Tour de Suisse
    « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 19:39 »

This finest ever line-up from #bmc is also the last on the team's home soil. The result buys Porte a full twenty seconds over #quickstep and thirty to the next best serious climber in Quintana #mov. The parcours does seem to pull a few punches though and the final TT surely weighs in the Tasmanian's favour. If he can stay on his bike.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6634
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 19:42 »

No white balls today for #lotto.

Banned until further notice by the UCI.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6915
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 19:54 »
    No white balls today for #lotto.

Banned until further notice by the UCI.
    White balls? :S

What did I miss?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 19:59 »
    White balls? :S

What did I miss?

Aero-gel they were using for the TTT at the Dauphine.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 20:01 »
    Aero-gel they were using for the TTT at the Dauphine.
    What the? :o

Brave New World. Or something.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11264
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 08:44 »
    the 2nd stage turned out to be harder than what I expected, with most of the sprinters dropped on the final climb.

Gaviria was there but without Richeze by his side (who, for whatever reason, spent his energy in late attacks) he slipped back to old habits and opened the sprint way too early.

Today's finish is even a bit more difficult with the final climb cresting at only 6k before the line.

It's pretty steep at the top as well

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 08:55 »
    Gaviria was there but without Richeze by his side (who, for whatever reason, spent his energy in late attacks) he slipped back to old habits and opened the sprint way too early.
    The importance of a world-class leadout man can hardly be overestimated.
    Richeze is one of those. :)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 17:05 »
    A wet day out and perhaps a bit of a damp squib of a stage.

Sagan himself decided to break up the race on the final climb. He succeeded in getting rid of the remaining bulky sprinters (Kristoff), but all of the pocket rockets held on, including Matthews and Gaviria and the rouleur-sprinters like himself, Cort Nielsen and eventual winner Colbrelli.

So what we got, despite the best attempts of Arthur Vichot, was a Sagan Sandwich with Gaviria and Colbrelli as the bread. In pure entertainment terms, the stage promised much but didn't really cut the mustard.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 08:46 »
    more of the same today, although the climb is a bit longer

Camenzind says he expects a sprint of 20-30 guys
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 16:29 »
    A dry Tour de Suisse is like Paris-Roubaix without cobbles and today it bucketed down on the peloton.

Juul-Jensen is a rare winner - and I must say it didn't seem like he would be at the beginning of his career - but he is a popular figure, so when bags one it's something to celebrate.

Peters was terribly strong, especially when you thought he had to be there to support Dilier, but in attacking the Irish Dane on the final climb he showed he was nervous of the peloton and he could not hold the gap with a very wet descent and a more confident Juul-Jensen.

A more entertaining day but we need some mountains now.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 16:45 »
    A more entertaining day but we need some mountains now.

yeah. Maybe next year
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 19:17 »
    tomorrow we have a bit more of climbing at least. Leukerbad is not particularly tough though

when they did it in 2006 guys like Vicioso (massive shape that year though) and Bettini were still there (first two came from a breakaway):

(only video I could find. Pretty bad, but it gives you an idea).

The finish itself looks hard enough to prevent a biggish sprint, but they really need to put the hammer down early on if they want to get rid of guys like Ulissi, Battaglin and so on. Maybe even Sagan, Albasini and Matthews could stay in touch?!
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2645
    « Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 20:11 »
    yeah. Maybe next year

More mountains already? After the overdose of riding-in-a-line-up-the-mountain-until-500m-left we had in the Criterium de Dauphine, a parcourse that is actually raced by the peloton and not just endured is nice for a change.  :angry

However, there has been one too much "let's put a hill in before the finish so Sagan/Matthews/Colbrelli can dump the boulevard sprinters" kind of finish. It's a bit repetitive (even if the breakaway took it today).

It becomes obivous why Tour of Slovenia is the new prelude to the clash of the titans, featuring the Bee-train, Kittel and Cavendish. (#jumbo seems to send the full TdF lineup there..)

For tomorrow, it is not just the Leukerbad, there is the climb to Montana (as in Crans-Montana) also. It is a long climb, but the gradients are kind of moderate. If a climber's team want to make it hard for the roleurs and fast uphill finishers, there are opportunities in the steepest pitches up from he Rhône to Lens, which will be where they plan to turn on the cameras tomorrow.

The steepest pitch is the long straight through the woods 2/3 to the top, but I don't think it is much more than 8%.
    EDIT: the profile I found on Ride with GPS doesn't show much detail but: there's a strava segment there with a max at 13,9 % just after the turn into the long straight section. Someone make an attack, please!

Curious to see if #movistar Quintana is willing to to try something or if he will wait for the third week.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1434
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 21:13 »
    yeah. Maybe next year

You're doing a better job of Eeyore than I am!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 10:07 »
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 11:56 »
    Van Garderen: All about Porte at Suisse and Tour

I have to say I think he's found the best place for him to be. Super-dom. He can pull that role off very successfully, IF he'll wear the shirt. American fans would have something to whine, and cheer about - "Gee, lookit how good TJ is! They should give him a chance! C'mon TJ!" - instead of the perennial "not this year". Super-doms get a lot of good attention.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 16:23 »
    Van Garderen: All about Porte at Suisse and Tour

I have to say I think he's found the best place for him to be. Super-dom. He can pull that role off very successfully, IF he'll wear the shirt. American fans would have something to whine, and cheer about - "Gee, lookit how good TJ is! They should give him a chance! C'mon TJ!" - instead of the perennial "not this year". Super-doms get a lot of good attention.

Unfortunate timing with that post Hiero! :D

Okay there was a headwind towards the end of the climb today, but the gradients were not steep and he didn't manage much of a turn in my opinion. Left Porte on his own and on another day he could have lost time to Landa or another late opportunistic attacker.

It was a big effort from Kung to hang in there for so long. Matthews, Albasini, Battaglin et al were nowhere to be seen when he finally dropped.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 16:30 »
    Unfortunate timing with that post Hiero! :D

. . .
    :lol

Hey, did you see Oomen? After his Giro? I wonder if Sunweb is putting him in the Tour as well - seems that would be a bit much, eh? Kelderman looking good too! Is Porte good enough this year to challenge at the Tour?

Landa and Quintana, otoh, don't look so hot.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2645
    « Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 22:49 »
    Landa and Quintana, otoh, don't look so hot.

Relax, it is only the first week of the Tour de Suisse. #movistar Quintana is always the best climber come week 3.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 01:34 »
    Relax, it is only the first week of the Tour de Suisse. #movistar Quintana is always the best climber come week 3.

Week 3 of the Tour de Suisse? Ok! I won't be holding my breath!   :=B   :snooty
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 19:29 »
    They let the BOTD go all the way although, just for a moment, Porte had us thinking he was going to be greedy. He shot away from the remainder of the peloton on the final Cat 3 just a couple of kms from the finish with the sort of acceleration that recalled his best days.

Earlier on that same climb, we saw the leggy Michael Gogl overplay his hand. Granted it was a funny sort of BOTD that he left behind, a mixed bag of riders whose finishing flourishes might be hard to predict.

Haas is super fast and climbs a bit but he was always likely to wait. Monfort has no explosivity but a solid climbing pedigree. Izagirre can do it all at this level. And so on.

So going solo seemed like a good strategy but you have to be sure you have the goods to go all the way. Gogl went so hard and fast that he flattered to deceive and Kragh Andersen flew past in one of those moments when the camera fixates upon the leader and the viewer has no inkling of who's coming up and how soon. Whooooosh! :D

Porte increased his gap and with a TT left to ride, only stupidity or crashes can stop him winning this.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 22:37 »
    finally some real climbing tomorrow. Although interrupted by a long, long stretch of false flat

To come back to T-72's arguments up there: usually I don't mind different kind of races at all, and I prefer lumpy stages over a MTF 9 out of 10 times - but I really can't see how any of the stages in this year's edition of the Tour de Suisse could offer any potential for excitement.

The last time a stage finished in Arosa Albasini won from the breakaway btw, with a long 17k solo in the end:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-suisse/2012/stage-7

It's his home stage, so he may try again I guess. The chances for a breakaway to stick aren't exactly stellar given the long, flat run-in - but that didn't stop him in 2012 either

edit: no idea why this isn't working, PCS code seems to be the correct one
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 08:32 »
    So going solo seemed like a good strategy but you have to be sure you have the goods to go all the way. Gogl went so hard and fast that he flattered to deceive and Kragh Andersen flew past in one of those moments when the camera fixates upon the leader and the viewer has no inkling of who's coming up and how soon. Whooooosh! :D

I noticed it during the stage already, but wasn's quite sure - but now also Monfort mentions in his daily blog that Kragh did not do any work in the breakaway.

BMC was chasing all day, everyone else had to go pretty much full out to keep the gap big enough - so that explains why he was so fresh in the end. He basically stole the victory.

The same happened in Croatia recently when Boaro won. He had a bit of an excuse at least, coming from the same team as the race leader, but this is really poor poor sportsmanship from Kragh and/or Sunweb.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 08:51 »
    The same happened in Croatia recently when Boaro won. He had a bit of an excuse at least, coming from the same team as the race leader, but this is really poor poor sportsmanship from Kragh and/or Sunweb.

Yes and no but mostly yes. :)

SKA's excuse, if it can be called that, was that Matthews might have won on this sort of finish and so he would sit on as long as the peloton looked like chasing.

What we saw as spectators, however, was that #sunweb didn't actually make a serious attempt to chase (a classic Sunweb move - this team rarely seems to do any chasing, even when it leads on GC) and left it to #bmc, which was clearly getting Porte to the front and perhaps preparing for his eventual jump (which to me looked like opportunism more than planning).

The ugliness of that Sunweb tactic was actually made even bigger for me by the fact that I watched the last 25km or so without having seen the stage profile and I had assumed a flat finish. As a result, I thought the BOTD was going to finish with a chunk of time in hand and I thought it was crazy how he could sit on like that. Still, nobody appeared to hassle him about it, so I guess he did it with stealth or else the others underestimated him.

No prizes for panache anyway. :)

---

Not sure what happened with Taaramae there. Even if the chasers were doomed after the group split, it was a bit odd that he just sat up and waited for the peloton.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:20 by L'arri »

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 09:18 »
    Not sure what happened with Taaramae there. Even if the chasers were doomed after the group split, it was a bit odd that he just sat up and waited for the peloton.

Taaramäe wanted to win with style and attacked solo with 80k to go. Later on he waited for the chasers, but I guess he still was completely spent in the end
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 09:19 »
    Taaramäe wanted to win with style and attacked solo with 80k to go. Later on he waited for the chasers, but I guess he still was completely spent in the end

Good to know, thanks. Pity I didn't join in early enough to see that.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 09:22 »
    Good to know, thanks. Pity I didn't join in early enough to see that.

no worries, live coverage only started on the descent anyway ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 09:28 »
    edit: no idea why this isn't working, PCS code seems to be the correct one
    I'm completely at a loss too. :S
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 10:21 »
    I'm completely at a loss too. :S

Just tried to embed another stage from that race and it didn't work, whereas a stage from 2010 worked fine. It's on PCS' side whatever it is.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Recent Posts

Re: Tour of Guangxi by LukasCPH
    [October 16, 2018, 18:27]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2018-19 by search
    [October 16, 2018, 15:29]

Re: The Italian Autumn Classics (Il Lombardia) by Caruut
    [October 16, 2018, 13:45]