M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1453
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Re: Stage 17: Bagneres-de-Luchon - Col du Portet
« on: July 25, 2018, 17:51 »
So, the chat consensus is that the grid start was a non-starter. As in no big whoop-e-do.

And the stage was a lot more controlled than it might have been. But Quintana managed to salvage a little something for himself and Movistar. Better than nothing. Sagan managed to make it to the finish (after crashing hard). And Froome managed to lose time and slip into 3rd slot. Dumo lost a few seconds to Thomas, but moved into 2nd overall.

Some folks think Roglic may be able to displace Froome and take 3rd step.

And Geraint hasn't earned his nick this Tour, not at all (not yet). Stay safe, Mr. Thomas, stay safe. I would rather that Tom Dumoulin beat you, but I would much rather everybody bring it safely to Paris.

Was it legendary? I haven't seen it yet, but based on the reactions, I would say no. It IS memorable, as it is one of the few times we have seen Froome show weakness. But the fat lady is only halfway through her aria.

BTW, Dumoulin said, in a post-race interview, that he tried to up his pace with an attack, but just really didn't have the legs, and felt good to have held on where he did.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 18:12 by M Gee »
    . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .