M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1414
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Stage 10: Annecy / Le Grand-Bornand
« on: June 25, 2018, 03:29 »
Back to work, boys, the first rest day is over, and now we hit the mountains. There are four hard climbs today, with a descent to the finish. There are bottlenecks before the first and second climb that may present opportunities for an attack.

It will be a rolling, controlled start for the first 8 or so km, as they travel south along the lekefront of the Lac d'Annecy. Possibly because there is a massive amount of road furniture along this section. As they round the point at the little town of Duingt, the riders will be released for the real start. It should be a day filled with attacks straight from that moment. However, the first few kilometers are flat, and a quick break is unlikely to be successful. It is only a short distance, though, to the foot of the first climb, a cat 4. This will begin in Menthon-Saint-Bernard, where the peloton turns away from the lake. Also in this town the peloton will find some very narrow roads. A break will likely form and it may not be to the liking of the peloton.

However, we are back to more normal roadways a mere 3 kms on, just 19 km into the race. The first cat 1 of the day, the Col de la Croix Fry, is followed by a descent that reminds me of the section of road where Porte crashed last year. The 2nd climb, the Montee du Plateau des Glieres, gets underway with some seriously narrow roads. When Google went through here, the pavement was so bad that gravel would have been better. Speaking of gravel, we actually get some near the top of the plateau - a couple of kilometers worth. I do hope they have graded and groomed the road since Google went through - but at least we get a proper bit of gravel here.
A number of severe switchbacks will keep the descent speeds down just a little. Followed by a nice 20 kilometer jaunt through the valley - the flattest section of road all day.

Then -- bam. smack in the face with the Col de Romme, followed by a quick descent. And then -- bam again. The Col de la Colombiere is the final trial for the day.

Somehow I don't think this is the day for a one-blow monoclimb, but ya never can tell!

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:52 by M Gee »
    . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6523
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

M Gee

• Road Captain
    Re: Stage 10: Annecy / Le Grand-Bornand
    « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 02:34 »
    After today's stage 9, I have a feeling the descent off Col de la Croix Fry, the Plateau des Glieres, and the Colombiere could be represent big possibilities, and we could see attacks on all 3.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2618
    « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 08:50 »
    Two stupid comments from me:
    After cycling in this area two years ago, I realized it is much smaller than I thought, the snaking paths of the TdF makes you think they are going somewhere but Annecy to Grand Bornand is really a half-day cruise even for me, done straight forward. This stage goes nowhere!
    Second, the unlikely home advantage here: #ag2r Romain Bardet yes of course but #astana Jakob Fuglsang too (born in Geneve) too :D

And third ... who are the racers struggling post rest-day? I keep forgetting, we should have an official list somewhere.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 17:00 »
    Two stupid comments from me:
    After cycling in this area two years ago, I realized it is much smaller than I thought, the snaking paths of the TdF makes you think they are going somewhere but Annecy to Grand Bornand is really a half-day cruise even for me, done straight forward. This stage goes nowhere!
    Second, the unlikely home advantage here: #ag2r Romain Bardet yes of course but #astana Jakob Fuglsang too (born in Geneve) too :D

And third ... who are the racers struggling post rest-day? I keep forgetting, we should have an official list somewhere.

A lot of fuss going nowhere! :lol  It's the SCENIC route!  ;)

Who's struggling? Don't know yet, but pretty sure we WILL know more at the end of this stage! LA and Hincapie think the cobbles will take more toll of recovery than some people think. Makes sense to me. It could turn out Bardet does well here, as he has more Classics experience. And Quintana, who has little Classics experience, does not. Etc.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11162
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 18:32 »
    really hard to say how this will unfold... if they race it like 2009, the Tour could be won - or definitely be lost - tomorrow, but with the two MTFs to come, no idea
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 21:41 »
    So, it turned out to be a VERY boring stage. Except it didn't! The GC hopefuls and contenders did very little or nothing. Greg VanAvermaet, on the other hand, and Julian Alaphillipe, made the stage one of the most exciting I've seen in years. GVA got into the early break - remember I said the break might not be to the liking of the peloton? Today there was so little space for one or two teams in the peloton to bring the break back - it was simply not enough. Oh, they COULD have, but at what level of effort?

Not to bore you with details, but NOBODY predicted GVA would defend his #yellow today. Then he did! A VERY brave ride from GVA today.

Alaphillipe. Well, the man attacked smartly enough to win the stage with a solo flyer. And, some people think he earned the combative prize for the day. He DID earn the polka-dot jersey, but I think his effort pales in comparison to GVA's.

Great ride, great stage!
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2618
    « Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 23:29 »
    Uhm no I didn't predict that GvA would defend yellow but the way he did it was no surprise either, I think he did it two years ago and then he repeated the same tactics in the Rio Olympics to great effect.

What I am thinking is - I think we will see the same battle for the win in Innsbrück this fall. Except Alaphilippe is a little bit more clever now so he may not be outsmarted by van Avermaet again. (In rio Alaphillpe was 4th...)

There are some few changes to GC as well as #ef Rigo now can be counted among the very near dropouts as far as the GC goes. His condition does not look good, and if it doesn't improve, he should DNF and focus on later events (there's another GT, a monument and a world championship.) If mother earth hits you hard in the Tour, it may be an idea to consider other options when you are a rider that can win.

Jungle Bob still ahead of Froome, even with today's losses.

• ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 03:58 »
    Some few changes to GC? Minor, tho, no? Ok, let's take a look.

General Classification after Stage 9
    1 VAN AVERMAET Greg (BMC RACING) 36:07:17
    2   THOMAS Geraint (SKY)   43
    3   GILBERT Philippe (QUICK - STEP FLOORS)   44
    4   JUNGELS Bob (QUICK - STEP FLOORS)   50
    5   VALVERDE Alejandro (MOVISTAR)   1:31
    6   MAJKA Rafal (BORA - HANSGROHE)   1:32
    7   FUGLSANG Jakob (ASTANA)   1:33
    8   FROOME Chris (SKY)   1:42
    9   YATES Adam (MITCHELTON - SCOTT)   
    10   LANDA MEANA Mikel (MOVISTAR)   
    11   KRAGH ANDERSEN Søren (SUNWEB)   1:43
    12   NIBALI Vincenzo (BAHRAIN - MERIDA)   1:48
    13   ROGLIČ Primož (LOTTO NL - JUMBO)   1:57
    14   MOLLEMA Bauke (TREK - SEGAFREDO)   1:58
    15   DUMOULIN Tom (SUNWEB)   2:03
    16   KRUIJSWIJK Steven (LOTTO NL - JUMBO)   2:06
    17   BARDET Romain (AG2R LA MONDIALE)   2:32
    18   BARGUIL Warren (TEAM FORTUNEO - SAMSIC)   2:37
    19   ZAKARIN Ilnur (KATUSHA ALPECIN)   2:42
    20   POZZOVIVO Domenico (BAHRAIN - MERIDA)   2:48

General Classification after Stage 10
    BEL 1 VAN AVERMAET Greg (BMC RACING) 40:34:28
    GBR   2   THOMAS Geraint (SKY)   2:22
    ESP   3   VALVERDE Alejandro (MOVISTAR)   3:10
    DEN   4   FUGLSANG Jakob (ASTANA)   3:12
    LUX   5   JUNGELS Bob (QUICK - STEP FLOORS)   3:20
    GBR   6   FROOME Chris (SKY)   3:21
    GBR   7   YATES Adam (MITCHELTON - SCOTT)   
    ESP   8   LANDA MEANA Mikel (MOVISTAR)   
    ITA   9   NIBALI Vincenzo (BAHRAIN - MERIDA)   3:27
    SLO   10   ROGLIČ Primož (LOTTO NL - JUMBO)   3:36
    NED   11   DUMOULIN Tom (SUNWEB)   3:42
    NED   12   KRUIJSWIJK Steven (LOTTO NL - JUMBO)   3:45
    POL   13   MAJKA Rafal (BORA - HANSGROHE)   4:02
    FRA   14   BARDET Romain (AG2R LA MONDIALE)   4:11
    NED   15   MOLLEMA Bauke (TREK - SEGAFREDO)   4:28
    COL   16   QUINTANA Nairo (MOVISTAR)   4:29
    IRL   17   MARTIN Daniel (UAE TEAM EMIRATES)   5:01
    RUS   18   ZAKARIN Ilnur (KATUSHA ALPECIN)   5:12
    BEL   19   PAUWELS Serge (DIMENSION DATA)   
    ITA   20   POZZOVIVO Domenico (BAHRAIN - MERIDA)   5:18

Well, Gilbert is outta there. Still only 2 min diff between #3 and #20. Some shuffling inside that. Interesting upward shuffling for not just Jungels, but also Valverde and Fuglsang. Barguil has faded, but he has publicly stated he intends to lose time. Oh, and Thomas picks up another minute. THAT might be more than just an indication.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6523
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 05:37 »
    Barguil has faded, but he has publicly stated he intends to lose time.

What I don't get then is why he didn't lose time deliberately earlier in the race. He was just 5 seconds behind Bardet in the GC after the cobbles. As it is he's missed out on a stage he might have won (well in this year's form, maybe not).

A bit strange.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 14:25 »
    What I don't get then is why he didn't lose time deliberately earlier in the race. He was just 5 seconds behind Bardet in the GC after the cobbles. As it is he's missed out on a stage he might have won (well in this year's form, maybe not).

A bit strange.
    It IS a bit strange. But then, Barguil has apparently been acting the prima donna this year. It seems his public preference for non-Look equipment is behind the unexpected departure of Look as a Fortuneo backer.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 02:30 »
    I didn't get to watch all of stage 10 live - gone back and checking out the recording now. They DID repave that bad section of pavement on the lower slopes of Plateau des Glieres. And they definitely graded and groomed the gravel section. It's still gravel, but if they hadn't graded it, there would have been flats![1] I like the route.

And it is still a fantastic stage.
     1. As it was, there WAS one flat that they showed. Froome. Didn't amount to anything though.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 13:29 by M Gee »