collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1209
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Re: Tour de France 2018: The Jersey Contenders
« on: July 01, 2018, 15:51 »
You didn't hear it here first: ASO has officially excluded Froome from the Tour. I've heard it this morning on two news sites, so I don't think you'll have any problem finding any sources. Sky to appeal, of course.

I know a lot of people have been saying salbutamol gives no performance advantage. However, given that the last couple of salbutamol positives in the peloton were suspended, and more quickly, I think, it's been unfair IMO that Froome wasn't. It certainly has the optic of preferential treatment. Top that off with how long the process is taking? But putting all that aside --

The RACE! I was unhappy that he was allowed to compete in the Giro, but at the end, things came out ok. Meaning I was happy, because AFAIC, Dumoulin would have won, except for tactical errors on stage 19. He chose not to go with Chris. And, doing the Giro-Tour double, Froome should be as vulnerable as he has ever been. Against strong teams. In past, recent, years, when we've had what might have been a strong challenge, luck has played a big part. Last year for one - Nibali's year for another. IMO Contador never fielded as strong a team as Sky, but luck certainly played a part against him.

So, in a perverse sort of thinking, I'm hoping Sky can get this appeal settled, and Froome will be there. I think it will be disappointing if they do not. However, no Froome DOES leave a very competitive field at the start line on day 1.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .