collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1367
[1.1] 7th Grand Prix Jean-Pierre Monseré
« on: July 06, 2018, 15:49 »
I was incidentally in Roeselare yesterday because Caruut gave me the idea to go and visit the Wielermuseum over there and it was great. The museum was opened back in 1998 and FreddyMaertens was its curator between 2000 and 2007. It was weird because the museum is situated inside a church but it was for me a great chance to buy some secondhand cycling books I have dreamed about for a long time.

And then I discovered some posters about the race.  :lol

So my trip to Roeselare became some sort of a pilgrimage in memory of my favourite past rider. Let us remember that Jean-Pierre Monseré was one of the greatest talents Belgium has ever had and a potential arch-rival to Merckx. He won the 1969 Tour of Lombardy about one month after turning pro (consecutive of Gerben Karstens DQ for doping) and was World Champion the following year at age 22 before get killed in a crash during a kermess race in Retie close to Antwerp the following year, with the rainbow jersey on. My tribute to Jempi

I wanted to discover the street named after him. The "Jean-Pierre Monseréstraat" is situated in the area called Krottegem (pejorative name given by the rich merchants in downtown Roeselare) on the other side of the railway. It's the area, Jempi grew up.  It used to the industrial and working men's area in his days but it has now become a peaceful residential area.  :)

As you can see there also exists a cyclotourist route named after him organised by the museum under Freddy Maertens' patronage.

And then, by Grace, I discovered this magnificent fresco (in Koornstraat, also Krottegem) which I knew about but thought it had long disappeared. :cool  :o

The race starts in Ypres and finishes in Roeselaere, more precisely in Beveren-Roeselare close to Krottegem (Izegemseaardeweg) and plans passages on the Kemmelberg and Monteberg.

https://www.gpmonsere.be/downloads/Parcours_GPM2018.pdf

Hard to get any startlists on the official website. They only show the recent palmares: https://www.gpmonsere.be/index.php/deelnemers

2012: Frédéric Amorison (Landbouwkrediet)
2013: Tom Van Asbroeck (Topsport Vlaanderen)
2014: Guillaume Van Keirsbulck (Omega Pharma - Quick-Step)
2015: Jürgen Roelandts (Lotto-Soudal)
2016: Lars Boom (Astana)
2017: Laurens Sweeck (Era - Circus)

Edit: How come the pictures are no longer minimalised now?  :o
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Recent Posts

Re: BMC news by al_pacino
    [July 16, 2018, 21:54]

Re: How The Race Was Won Cosmo Catalano by Drummer Boy
    [July 16, 2018, 17:25]

Re: BMC news by Drummer Boy
    [July 16, 2018, 17:20]

Re: BMC news by search
    [July 16, 2018, 16:09]