M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1422
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Stage 8: Dreux > Amiens Metropole
« on: July 12, 2018, 19:18 »
Only a tiny bit lumpier than yesterday - beautiful flat boulevard finish near centreville in Amiens.

I'm still hoping Cav will get some more wins stacked up, but it looks like Merckx' record is safe for another year.

• ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2385
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Re: Stage 8: Dreux > Amiens Metropole
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 03:41 »
    Yeah, Cav not really looking like another TdF stage is within his grasp. I hope, for his sake, he avoids any crashes though, because this finish is begging for a collision or two.

Hard right just inside 6 km.
    Hard left at 4km
    Very hard right at 3km.
    Hard left at 2km.
    Final turn with 600m to go.
    (Or so I heard.)

However, none of that will matter much if a Bastille Day break sticks. Which will probably be allowed to happen anyway.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1283
    « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 11:48 »
    Yeah, Cav not really looking like another TdF stage is within his grasp. I hope, for his sake, he avoids any crashes though, because this finish is begging for a collision or two.

Hard left at 4km
    Very hard right at 3km.
    Hard left at 2km.
    (Or so I heard.)

However, none of that will matter much if a Bastille Day break sticks. Which will probably be allowed to happen anyway.
    Last sprint stage until Paris? I can't see sprint teams being overly sentimental. Unless, unless, they've got their beady eyes on stage 9 and don't want to make today at all hard.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 13:10 »

Hard left at 4km
    Very hard right at 3km.
    Hard left at 2km.
    (Or so I heard.)

Your plot of the turns sounds about right - but the ones in Amiens all look like nice wide boulevards on Google view. We'll see.

Cav just doesn't seem to be there this year. Don't know if all the crashes have taken their toll, or what. He hasn't aged out yet - wouldn't think it's that. Maybe just too many nasty crashes, and lost a little edge. I like him - always have. Still hoping he can pull some good ones out of the bag.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 16:39 »
    Last sprint stage until Paris? I can't see sprint teams being overly sentimental.

Yeah, this was obviously a more accurate take on things. I seem to remember in years past that the Bastille break would be given some leeway, but those memories might be a decade old now. And considering that yesterday was mostly a drawn-out "recovery" stage, it wasn't likely that the peloton would go easy two days in a row.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 17:16 »
    Yup - no leeway for Bastille Day. I don't remember any ever being given, actually. That sounds to me like one of those "this is the way it was" legends when it really never was that way. Of course, the French riders have always given an extra effort to make a showing on Bastille day.

Tweets out that Gaviria and Greipel were DQ'ed for irregular sprinting. Then tweets corrected that to say relegated, not DQ'ed. And relegated seems to be what it is.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1283
    « Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 17:42 »
    Yeah, this was obviously a more accurate take on things. I seem to remember in years past that the Bastille break would be given some leeway, but those memories might be a decade old now. And considering that yesterday was mostly a drawn-out "recovery" stage, it wasn't likely that the peloton would go easy two days in a row.

I actually listened to the TV coverage for much of today while supposedly working, which given the lack of action was really interesting, far more interesting than watching the cycling. What was interesting was listening to Boardman talk about the future of cycling as a means of transport in this country as well as his take on the latest technological developments in racing such as elliptical rings (not a fan).

And finally, to bring me eventually to the point, David Millar talking about how breaks weren't allowed to get beyond 6 minutes anymore if there was a chance it would affect the destination of a jersey. Basically his theory was that the standard of riders is consistently much higher and rather than letting a group of good riders go and battling to bring them back, it's better now to battle to prevent them going in the first place. I guess Bastille day also usually falls in between Alps and Pyrenees so more leeway would be allowed in another year as GC time gaps would reduce the level of threat.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2629
    « Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 21:03 »
    bzzzz bzzzz bzbzzbzbzbzbbzzbzb bzbzbzbbzz zbbzzbbzzbzb zbbzzbzb
    ALL ON BOARD! THE BEE TRAIN!

Second stop: Amiens!

And also noted a deplacing of #lotto Greipel and #quickstep Gaviria due to bad moves when fighting for position in the run-in and the sprint.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 23:33 »
    And also noted a deplacing of #lotto Greipel and #quickstep Gaviria due to bad moves when fighting for position in the run-in and the sprint.

https://twitter.com/Cyclocosm/status/1018258574873522178

[Edit]
    OK, now I'm confused. I just watched the actual footage from today's sprint, and that tweet ain't the same thing.
    :slow

There's some good slo-mo footage near the beginning of this clip, with some finer analysis about half-way through.

At the very end of that clip, CVV offers some interesting criticism of Dan Martin's road tactics.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:45 by Drummer Boy »

M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 17:20 »
    https://twitter.com/Cyclocosm/status/1018258574873522178
     . . .
    At the very end of that clip, CVV offers some interesting criticism of Dan Martin's road tactics.

Yeah, basically Dan is in the habit of staying too far back in the peloton, especially near the end of the stage. If you noticed that bit of scientific analysis of peloton drafting I posted not so long ago (http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=235.0;message=2241845), they found that towards the back the amount of effort is a mere 5% or so of what the effort is on the front. That is a much bigger savings than what I had been told previously. Which makes it obvious why somebody would WANT to stay in the back. Tradeoff is the risk of being behind a crash is greater, and CVV thinks that is bad tactics for a team leader.
  • ReplyReply

•