collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 6529
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
[2.HC] Tour of Utah
« on: July 24, 2018, 19:44 »
Larry H.Miller Tour of Utah

True to its nickname as “America’s Toughest Stage Race," the 2018 Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah will dish out 536 miles of racing and 43,780 feet of elevation gain this summer.

The Tour of Utah course will offer a total of nine Utah Office of Tourism King of the Mountain (KOM) climbs. It is the fifth time in 14 years that the Tour has included more than 43,000 feet of climbing. The highest climb of the race comes on Stage 1 near the ski resort town of Brian Head at 10,600 feet above sea level. Returning to the Tour are the summits of three legendary climbs -- Mount Nebo, Little Cottonwood Canyon and Empire Pass, the latter two classified as Hors Category (HC, or beyond classification). Mount Nebo is the highest mountain in the Wasatch Range. The six-mile ascent of Little Cottonwood Canyon will take riders to the “Queen Stage” finish at Snowbird Resort on Stage 5 and the seven-mile incline across Empire Pass with pitches of more than 20 percent will set up the showdown in Park City for Stage 6 on the final day of racing.

Source

Prologue  »  St. George  ›  St. George   (5.3km)

They just can't resist a squashy cat in Utah. A prologue this time. The first one since 2011 when Henao was the name on everyone's lips.

Stage 1  »  Cedar City  ›  Cedar City   (162.5km)

Very similar to stage 1 in 2014 when Hofland won a large group sprint.

Stage 2  »  Payson City  ›  Payson City   (142.6km)

DNF Morton won this stage the previous two times, but he won't be back this year.

Stage 3  »  Antelope Island  ›  Layton City   (167.4km)

Stage 4  »  Salt Lake City  ›  Salt Lake City   (110.1km)

Very similar circuit to last year's entertaining final stage. The important difference is that the finishing line is now potentially within reach of more of the quick guys (only McCabe and Canola were able to get in the mix in 2017).

Stage 5  »  Canyons Village  ›  Snowbird   (152.6km)

Back to the pre-2017 configuration of Guardsman Pass ----------> Snowbird. Last year they went over American Fork Canyon instead which meant 30km of flat before the final climb.

Stage 6  »  Park City  ›  Park City  (123.4km)

It's back. :)

Previous Winners
2008 Jeff Louder (USA) BMC Racing Team
2009 Francisco Mancebo (ESP) Rock Racing
2010 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Mellow Johnny's
2011 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Team RadioShack
2012 Johann Tschopp (SUI) BMC Racing Team
2013 Tom Danielson (USA) Garmin-Sharp
2014 Tom Danielson (USA) Garmin-Sharp
2015 Joe Dombrowski (USA) Cannondale - Garmin
2016 Lachlan Morton (AUS) Jelly Belly p/b Maxxis
2017 Rob Britton (CAN) Rally Cycling

Official Website
Official Twitter
Startlist
#TOU18
Tour Tracker
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 19:52 »
    Competing teams:

UCI WorldTour

• BMC Racing Team (USA)
    • EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale (USA)
    • Mitchelton-Scott (Australia)
    • Trek-Segafredo (USA)
    • Team LottoNL-Jumbo (Netherlands)

UCI Pro Continental

Bardiani CSF (Italy)
    • Hagens Berman Axeon (USA)
    • Holowesko-Citadel p/b Arapahoe Resources (USA)
    • Israel Cycling Academy (Israel)
    • Nippo-Vini Fantini-Europa Ovini (Italy)
    • Rally Cycling (USA)
    • UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling Team (USA)

UCI Continental

• 303 Project (USA)
    • Aevolo Cycling (USA)
    • Elevate-KHS Pro Cycling (USA)
    • Jelly Belly Cycling Team p/b Maxxis (USA)
    • Silber Pro Cycling (Canada)
    • mobius BridgeLane (Australia)

mobius replaced Bardiani who couldn't afford to come.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2380
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 00:45 »
    I can't believe it's already time for this again. Wow.

Quite the course profile on pretty much every stage. It's beautiful out there. I've never biked but I've skied at Snowbird and Alta. Nothing like those mountain-top views. Absolutely breathtaking.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 18:29 »
    #holowesko

http://www.hincapieracing.com/double-time/

TJ Eisenhart
    Brayan Sanchez
    Bryan Gomez
    Ruben Companioni
    Andrei Krasilnikau
    Andrew Dahlheim
    Joe Lewis

11th last year for Eisenhart, but with more WT teams this year he may struggle to even match that.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 18:22 »
    #elevate

Piccolo was 10th last year, but his climbing in the main was pushing the top-5.

#trek

https://twitter.com/TrekSegafredo/status/1025029779001626629

Stetina had a poor California. Pressure will be on to perform. Could Conci or Eg do better?

#bmc

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/experience/the-feedzone/ambitious_bmc_racing_team_roster_set_for_the_larry_h_miller_tour_of_utah/

Tom Bohli (SUI)
    Brent Bookwalter (USA)
    Alexander Evans (AUS)
    Kilian Frankiny (SUI)
    Freddy Ovett (AUS)
    Joey Rosskopf (USA)
    Tejay van Garderen (USA)

A strong team, but does it contain the winner?
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1415
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 23:37 »
    I can't believe it's already time for this again. Wow.

Quite the course profile on pretty much every stage. It's beautiful out there. I've never biked but I've skied at Snowbird and Alta. Nothing like those mountain-top views. Absolutely breathtaking.
    When I was a kid, we went skiing every chance we got. That was in NH. A few years later, when I was grown enough to be on my own, I went to work out west. Drove out. On the way, I stopped at some ski mountain and rented some skis. Talk about breathtaking! I got to the top of the lift, and felt like I was looking straight down forever. It certainly took my breath away, and my courage. I have to admit, I got back on the lift, and never went skiing again. The scale is just completely different. My loss perhaps.

It was in later years that I got big into cycling and started racing. I've never seen a ROAD that I was too scared of to take on - but I've seen plenty of mountain courses where I would not go - not ever. In part because I can handle a bike well enough on pavement, but all those rocks and cliffs require more agility than I ever had.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1415
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 00:55 »
    . . .

DNF Morton won this stage the previous two times, but he won't be back this year.

. . .

Whatever happened to him? I don't recall hearing his name in a while.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 09:16 »
    Whatever happened to him? I don't recall hearing his name in a while.

Riding for #didata .

Not so many DNFs these days, but unable to translate his Jelly Belly form into anything of note in the WT. Pretty much any result he has ever got has been in the US. Just seems unable to make that step up to the next level.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 09:55 »
    #uhc

The soft deadline had passed for the team without any news of potential future sponsors, so this is a good shop window for the riders to show what they can do.

To be honest though even the best that their top riders (Mannion, Tvetcov and McCabe) can probably hope for is a sideways (or very slightly upwards) transfer to Rally or Holowesko. I can't see the European PCT teams being overly interested unless it's Mannion to Aquablue.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 15:32 »
    #nippo

All about Santaromita really. Ponzi has had a poor year and Cima is still very young.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 20:21 »
    Since there are a fair few Mexicans in the start list here, this is quite a timely article.

https://www.velonews.com/2018/08/from-the-mag/mexican-cycling-falls-short-in-developing-homegrown-talent_473966
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 07:37 »
    #academy

https://twitter.com/LuisE_Lemus/status/1025906689101332480

Hermans must be one of the favourites coming after his win in Austria. It's been a while since he raced here with BMC, but came fourth on that occasion and has been out in Utah training since at least the 28th.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 20:52 »
    #aevolo

https://aevolocycling.exposure.co/full-steam-ahead-aevolo-motivated-for-tour-of-utah

Laurent Gervais
    Alex Hoehn
    Luis Villalobos
    Fernando Islas
    Gage Hecht
    Lance Haidet
    Michael Hernandez

Lots of talent here to keep an eye on. The team won a clean sweep at the US U23 championships recently winning the crit, TT and RR titles, but it's worth noting that Hagens Berman only sent 1 rider. Apropos the article above they also include two of the Mexicans that are competing. Both did benefit from some junior racing in Europe, but whether that was financed by the Mexican Federation or off their own bat I don't know.

#jumbo

Powless was another one who had a poor California. Outperformed on that occasion by babyface Toelhok. Could it be Bouwman's turn to do the same here.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 20:57 »
    https://twitter.com/velonews/status/1026191801705623552

The action gets underway on Monday in St. George, which sits in a desert valley near the Arizona border. Temperatures are expected to climb well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Fortunately for the Utah peloton, it won’t be long before the race climbs to higher altitudes, where — hopefully — cooler weather and compelling racing awaits

:flustered
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 21:04 »

Some handy info on the start and finish times for each stage. I think you need to add on 7 hours for UK time and 8 for continental Europe. So early evening finish for the prologue, but everything else is past a lot of folk's bedtimes.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 08:25 »
    Okay, enough with the roster news.

Leadbelly's Leading Lights

:onfire1 :onfire1 :onfire1

Woods

:onfire1 :onfire1

Haig
    Van Garderen
    Hermans
    Britton

The prologue is on road bikes, but TJ should still be able to put 20+ seconds into most of his competitors. However I just can't see him being able to defend that kind of lead.

My instincts said to put Britton on one star, but that seemed overly harsh for the defending champ. We'll have to see how he gets on.

:onfire1

Powless
    Mannion
    Piccoli
    Tvetcov

There are plenty of other top-ten candidates, but these are the ones I can see challenging for the top-5.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 08:42 »
    Sprinting Stars

Three potential sprints, but there's no guarantee that all the fast men will be there to contest them. Climbing + altitude + heat could claim some victims before the finishing line.

:onfire1 :onfire1 :onfire1

Philipsen

Should be the quickest, but there are other guys who can climb a bit better.

:onfire1 :onfire1

Magner
    McCabe
    Cote

McCabe is definitely one who should be able to contest all three stages (assuming a break doesn't take it).

:onfire1

Rodriguez
    Avila
    Reijnen

Not exactly the deepest sprinting field. Even someone like Howes might fancy his chances for a top-5.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11166
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 09:02 »
    Not exactly the deepest sprinting field. Even someone like Howes might fancy his chances for a top-5.

the PCS "Top sprinters" statistic has #jumbo Maarten Wynants in 2nd :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 20:40 »

A BMC 1-2-3 isn't that much of a surprise. What is though, is 6 EF-Drapac riders in the top-21, including such TT luminaries as Woods, Dombro and Carthy. Must have had their Weetabix this morning.

I think pretty much all of the serious GC guys are within twenty seconds of TJ. Nobody of real note lost out big time.

Oh yeah, Brayan TTs as well as his brother.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 21:40 »
    I missed the live feed (because I'm an idiot) but I do love the absence of TT bikes for the prologue:)

I really do wish that TT bikes were banned from road racing altogether. But I digress...

Looks it was a scorcher today, with temps supposedly up to 107F/41C?!  :o

I'm also encouraged (as I mention in the chat) that Todd Gogulski sounds to be one of the commentators. I've always enjoyed his insight. I used to love his commentary on the Giro back when Universal Sports was still a thing, and cycling was actually accessible to me through conventional cable TV.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1445
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 22:19 »
    Damn, I came on to say Brayan TTs as well as his brother...
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 05:37 »

Very easy for McCabe in the end. The people who might have given him something serious to think about (Philipsen, Magner and Cote) were all 16+ minutes back down the road.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 05:38 »
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 14:29 »
    Nice of them to include slo-mo footage of the ever-classic Bell Lap Victory. :win  :S :shh

I would not want to be "that guy."  :D

That seems to happen every year at one of these races. You'd think they be speaking to at least one teammate in the run-up to the line? Not an enviable position to find oneself in.

Oh boy, I only just realized that the very moment of glory is actually captured in the thumbnail for that video. Poor dude.  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 18:23 »
    There were a few teams who might be a bit peeved after that stage. Aevolo and Mobius both missed out on the break. Creed tried to make an excuse about a rider getting a puncture at the wrong moment, but Andreu correctly poo-pooed that.

The biggest loser however would have to be Elevate. Their best rider Piccoli was a DNS due to fever/illness and then their sprinter Rodriguez was a DNF. Maybe Frayre or Cheyne can do something to rescue the race for them.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 18:33 »

On the menu for today.

This is what happened in 2016....

....and in 2014.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 22:24 »
    According to Twitter, it appears that Sepp Kuss is going to win tomorrow as well.  :D

https://twitter.com/TourofUtah/status/1027301817640599552
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 05:37 »

Very impressive from Kuss. Attacked from the peloton, well it must have been ~12km from the summit, and just kept on going. Woods and then Dombrowski both tried to bridge, but neither could make it. A couple of others tried to get away on the descent, but from what I understand Bookwalter brought them back.

30 seconds definitely isn't game over.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 17:39 »
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events