Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2424
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 02:42 »
Friday's Stage 4, for what looks like such a silly race profile, might be fun to watch. For those attending, with a good position to view from, it could definitely be rewarding.

So ten laps around the capital of Salt Lake City. Each lap 6.8 miles/ 11km. With what looks like a nice, punchy climb each time around. Should make for some nice aggressive racing.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6792
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 05:31 »
    https://twitter.com/dustinbessette/status/1027668488817659904

Philipsen beaten fair and square. Didn't see that happening.

Break took a long time to establish yesterday. It was a strong one and a lot of teams had representation, but with Britton only 2 minutes down in the GC, they were never going to be given enough rope.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #32 on: August 11, 2018, 05:35 »

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #33 on: August 11, 2018, 05:35 »
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #34 on: August 11, 2018, 13:19 »
    Seven-man break rode idiotically and gave away their lead. They started playing around way too early, didn't cooperate, and gave up all the work they had put in. They were looking around with over 2k to go, so it's no wonder they got caught.

Nice throw-to-the-line by Jasper though.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #35 on: August 11, 2018, 17:35 »
    Was the stage a bit of a dud then? I only lasted a couple of laps last night, but I remember last year's one being quite exciting with lots of break action (attacks, reforming and repeat).
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #36 on: August 12, 2018, 00:52 »
    Was the stage a bit of a dud then?

I had to step out with a few laps remaining, thinking I'd make it back before the end. I got back one minute after the winners crossed the line. :fp But from the replay it didn't seem all that engaging. If the break had held it may have made it more exciting, but they got closed down with about 400 meters to go, so it all happened very quickly.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #37 on: August 12, 2018, 01:35 »
    Today's Stage 5 was much more entertaining though!  :cool

It seemed for awhile that nothing intriguing was going to unfold. The Guardsmans Pass proved to be too steep for any attacks, and the loooooong descent to the base of the Snowbird wasn't technical enough to allow for any separation. But once they reached the final climb, EF-Drapac put four riders on the front and tried to bully the peloton. It looked, for a brief moment, that it might be a testing ground. But all the while, Sepp Kuss carried on like he was enjoying a relaxed ride in the park and easily followed EF's lead.

Then when Drapac tried the tough-guy routine, pretending like they were Domo–Farm Frites on a Classics stage, trying to send one guy after another to snap the elastic, they were ones who ended up getting an "Education" as Super Sepp humiliated them with a casual attack of his own, and quickly put the insurgents in their place along with the rest of the field. 
    :D

It was amazing how quickly, and seemingly effortlessly, he distanced everyone, with the minor exception of Ben Hermans who valiantly held onto to a distant second place.

For those of us watching live, it was disappointing that the camera crew/director made zero effort to show any images of the peloton implosion that was taking place. The cameras followed Kuss all the way to the line, with occasional updates on the laboring Hermans who was mostly over a minute behind the fearless leader. The field was getting decimated further back, but we were never allowed even a glimpse—even though Kuss had launched himself with over 8km remaining. But it was truly impressive to witness the ease with which he mostly carried himself all the way to victory. Even after crossing the line, he looked ready to do it all over again.

Barring any serious setbacks, he seems well poised to seal the overall tomorrow. He's on another level than any of his challengers. He looked so fresh and spry today, and seemed to have plenty left in the tank for one more assertive ride tomorrow. No one looks even close to threatening him on GC.

It was mildly amusing to watch the shattered remains of the entire field trickle in at the finish, almost exclusively one at a time. It was as if there were two different races taking place, or as if a sportive had just followed in the wake of the pros.
     :P

Oh, TeJay finished the stage, too. Eventually. Over seven minutes back.

I've no idea how I pulled off that little pcs trick, because I haven't the slightest idea how that even works. It was just a little copy/paste with a lucky guess.
     ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:52 by Drummer Boy »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #38 on: August 12, 2018, 08:59 »
    Frankiny had a great ride too yesterday. In the break all day and despite only having 30 seconds or something (memory could be playing tricks there) at the bottom, still managed to finish 15th only 3m05 down.

I have bigged up Kuss in the past, but I'm being careful about reading to much into one race. Dombro did something very similar (maybe even more impressive) back in 2015 and he's gone on to do very little. I don't want to say "Let's see him do it in Europe first", but maybe "Let's see him do it at 1000m+ lower down".

TJ wasn't the biggest loser of the day. Mannion was at 13m59 down. Funnily enough that doesn't get a mention on the UHC race report.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #39 on: August 13, 2018, 01:40 »
    Once again, Sepp Kuss  #jumbo animates the stage at just the right time to seize the day and cement his GC dominance.

The fun started on the final climb up Empire Pass. Kuss had run out of teammates by that point, which perhaps emboldened Jack Haig  #mitchelton to challenge Sepp and make a jump. Apparently Jack hadn't consulted with EF-Drapac  #efd on the futility of such a move, as Kuss easily matched the effort only to leave Haig in his re-view mirror. At the time, Frankie Andreu's TourTracker advice was for Kuss to sit tight and just follow wheels, as the time gaps were in his favor. Fortunately Sepp didn't have Frankie's voice in his audio feed. It wasn't long before Kuss reeled in Nate Brown's  #efd solo effort up ahead as the summit approached.

By now it was raining at the finish, which meant the last 10km or so would be on wet roads. Kuss had the advantage of a sufficient time gap to allow him to gently work his way down the slick twists and turns of the descent, while frequently checking behind on the status of Jack Haig who had, by now, been joined by a determined Brent Bookwalter  #bmc.

With the duo in hot pursuit, Kuss was forced to keep a nervous eye on the road behind him, and it looked, ever-so-briefly, on the final ascent to the line, that the stage might be up for grabs. But Kuss was just too strong out of the saddle, and comfortably crossed the finish line, arms outstretched, with his third stage win of the race, and the overall lead secured. And for good measure, he also captured the mountains classification.  #yellow  #blue
     :cool

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:04 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #40 on: August 13, 2018, 02:10 »
    For the life of me, I can't figure out how to post the GC results with the pcs tag.
    Help, please.  :)

A nice little epilogue to this cycling adventure though:

Kuss set to make grand tour debut at 2018 Vuelta  :snooty

According to LottoNL-Jumbo sports director Sierk Jan de Haan, it’s a decision that has been in the works for a little while.

“Our team, our directors, my colleagues, we decided this before Utah so we already saw that he was growing and doing well,” de Haan told VeloNews in Utah. “But what he performed here, it’s overwhelming.”

“When I found out that it [the Vuelta] was kind of in the cards a few months ago, it definitely gave me a lot of motivation,” Kuss said after Sunday’s stage in Utah.

“It’s going to be super hard. I’ve never done anything like it so I’ll just take it week by week and see how I feel about it.”
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 05:35 »
    Nice write ups the past couple of days Drumbo. :cool

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to post the GC results with the pcs tag.
    Help, please.  :)

We can't anymore, but the final stage result does include the GC/KoM/Points tabs unlike the earlier stages.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #42 on: August 13, 2018, 07:18 »
    We can't anymore, but the final stage result does include the GC/KoM/Points tabs unlike the earlier stages.

Well so it does!  :cool I hadn't realize that those links were active within the screenshot.  :)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11337
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #43 on: August 13, 2018, 07:41 »
    The GC code is always the number of the final stage +1

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #44 on: August 13, 2018, 19:06 »
    The GC code is always the number of the final stage +1

I was almost certain that it had been changed.

On one hand I can see that it works for Utah here, but I just tried it for Portugal and no dice.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #46 on: August 14, 2018, 10:36 »
    A few ruminations.

#uhc

To be honest though even the best that their top riders (Mannion, Tvetcov and McCabe) can probably hope for is a sideways (or very slightly upwards) transfer to Rally or Holowesko.

I did mention in race chat that I'd slightly changed my view on one rider and that would obviously be 2x stage winner McCabe. EF-Drapac do shop at the lower end of the market and even if he continued to not show much in Europe, he could get home wins here in Utah and Colorado and be in the mix in California.

#axeon need some climbers.

They had a win and a second place from Philipsen, but for me they had a fairly anonymous race. They probably were involved in some of the breaks, but I'm struggling to remember it. To be fair this wasn't there strongest team. The Oliveiras are in Glasgow, Bjerg was in Denmark, but where was their best climber Almeida? Surely this would have been decent prep for l'Avenir?

Anyway for me they need to make the team a bit more rounded in 2019. Merckx did just start following Villalobos on Twitter......
  • ReplyReply

•