Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1473
45th Tour of Wallonia
« on: July 28, 2018, 18:58 »
First stage was today, won by Romain Cardis!

Route is here: https://www.trworg.be/regularite-grands-rendez/

Startlist is here: https://www.trworg.be/les-equipes/

... and I was at the start in La Louvière this morning.  :cool :P

La Louvière is a sad town. The economy is turning very low in that area of the Hainaut province formerly known for its coal mine industry (where lots of Italian migrants came working, the so-called "Pays noir" (Black land). Lots of shop have closed doors, the heart of the town is deserted.  :(

Of course I have a few pics. Starting with the Jack Russell Lars Van der Haar (if Slow Rider comes around).  ;)

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2494
    Re: 45th Tour of Wallonia
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 13:38 »
    Lars :win
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 23:44 »
    Lars :win

Hey Slowy, I shared some more picture of Lars on his own thread. ;)

It was weird to see that there were two start lines in La Louvière about 200m distance. First time I've seen that in a race. The two pictures of Lars I've shared above are not at the same place but on each of those two lines. First one when the riders gather together and the second one when the fictitious start is officially declared. Strange!

So I finally realised that the Telenet-Fidea rider on the 4th picture is Quinten Hermans. :) Fabio Aru is the rider representing oil-monarchs but I don't know who is his teammate, and then who is Tim Wellens' teammate he's talking to?

By the way, I remember reading Marc Madiot saying that he encouraged his riders to take off their helmets before the starts of races in order for the people around to recognise them. But check that out :D:

Jimmy Turgis (you can see his a former cyclocrosser ;)):

I'm really fond of this picture. The Cofidis riders are coming from the "Place Maugré-Tout" where the church is. It's the main square in La Louvière to go and sign the start sheet on the "Place communale" where the start was given. Third one must be Loïc Chetout.

Of course I'm very happy with Tim's win today on the Citadelle in my family town Namur, a year after winning GP Wallonia on the same place.

Edit: correction the stage finished downtown in Namur after two ascents of the Citadelle but the finish line was not on top of it.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:37 by Echoes »

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 08:01 »
    Tour of France is over, so the third stage gets streamed. Though apparently RTBF and Eurosport only covers the final two stages.  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6948
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 15:52 »
    Jimmy Turgis (you can see his a former cyclocrosser ;)):

Nice shot! :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2658
    « Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 22:38 »
    A minor interruption of my vacation, I just need to post this:

(a relieved norwegian shouting)
    ENDELIG DER SATT HAN!
    (ok..enough shouting...look list!  ;)

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11337
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 08:45 »
    good that you mention it. This seems to have remained unnoticed in Belgium :P

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 09:21 »
    So Quinten almost raised his arms, as he did not see that Eiking was in front before the last few hundreds of meters.  :D What a road season he's doing now.  :cool

By the way, friend I was in La Louvière with made a video. I told him I could share his video on cycling forums and increase his number of views.  :lol He's not necessarily a cycling fan but La Louvière is close to where he lives.

• ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 144
    « Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 21:29 »
    :) Fabio Aru is the rider representing oil-monarchs but I don't know who is his teammate, and then who is Tim Wellens' teammate he's talking to?

I'm not sure, but I guess the  #lotto guy is Frederik Frison and the  #uae one is Anass Ait El Adina.

Funny you didn't recognize Quinten Hermans right away.

By the way nice pics, thanks for sharing.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 10:55 »
    Funny you didn't recognize Quinten Hermans right away.

Did you?

Well it's shameful because I've already posted pictures of him when he was very young at a cyclocross I visited but his "baby face" did ring a bell though. Hence I took some pictures of him. Anyway, Quinten is really on fire this week. It would be amazing if he wins the GC against so many road stars !!!

Apparently, it's Quinten's last race before a training session in Mallorca as build-up for the cross season: http://www.dhnet.be/sports/cyclisme/tour-de-wallonie-quinten-hermans-fait-coup-double-dans-la-4e-etape-5b6079b8553269254868aaef

Thanks for recognising those riders, too. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 144
    « Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 22:03 »
    Did you?

Yes, I think he has a pretty unique face and you being the big cyclocross fan I thought you photographed him on purpose.

Anyway pretty good race for him this week.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 09:56 »
    Yeah it's amazing that Tim and Quinten had to be separated with their stage placements. I guess with real time (without bonuses) they also were tied. Perhaps, the tour wasn't hard enough.

Well I was deliberately looking for all Telenet-Fidea riders. I missed them on the start podium though but have several pictures of them on the start lines, including others with Quinten. Let me share some others.  ;)

• ReplyReply

•