collapse

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2431
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Primož Roglič: The Next Big Thing?
« on: July 31, 2018, 13:58 »
In Primož Roglič, are we witnessing a once-in-a-generation cyclist? How high will this extraordinary athlete soar? For someone who apparently didn't even own a bike until the age of twenty-two, in just six years he very nearly landed himself on the podium in Paris. Much like Peter Sagan, he seems to be in possession of tremendous natural ability that is equal to his youthful enthusiasm. With his combination of good looks, a dynamic and fearless riding style, a very likable personality, and an effective grasp of English, there seems to be no limit to both his potential achievements on the bike as well as his popularity off the bike.

I hadn't followed his meteoric rise as closely as I'm sure some others have, and will openly admit to only recently becoming aware of the details of his story, but it would appear, given all that we've seen thus far, that Primož Roglič may very well be one of the greatest talents to come along in quite some time.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 19:49 by Drummer Boy, Reason: Re-corrected rider\'s first name »

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6654
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Re: Prime Roglič: The Next Big Thing?
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 11:27 »
    In Primož Roglič, are we witnessing a once-in-a-generation cyclist? How high will this extraordinary athlete soar? For someone who apparently didn't even own a bike until the age of twenty-two, in just six years he very nearly landed himself on the podium in Paris. Much like Peter Sagan, he seems to be in possession of tremendous natural ability that is equal to his youthful enthusiasm. With his combination of good looks, a dynamic and fearless riding style, a very likable personality, and an effective grasp of English, there seems to be no limit to both his potential achievements on the bike as well as his popularity off the bike.

I hadn't followed his meteoric rise as closely as I'm sure some others have, and will openly admit to only recently becoming aware of the details of his story, but it would appear, given all that we've seen thus far, that Primož Roglič may very well be one of the greatest talents to come along in quite some time.

No, I don't think he's a once-in-a-generation cyclist but he's clearly very strong and, after this Tour, I think we have yet to see his limits. Until last month, I was convinced that he couldn't hold on for more than a top-10 in a GT but now I'm not so sure.

Roglic seems really awkward in front of the media at races with his diffident, often circular statements but in the video he comes across as a much more articulate, thoughtful person and we also get a strong hint of the motivations that drive him.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 22:09 by LukasCPH, Reason: edited Rogla\'s name »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2431
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Re: Primož Roglič: The Next Big Thing?
    « Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 20:07 »
    No, I don't think he's a once-in-a-generation cyclist...

But can you think of any other cyclist that entered the game so late in life and then rose so rapidly through the ranks?

Physiology is one thing, but bike handling and race savvy quite another. It's the latter that I think impresses me more than the former. It would seem that at this point he only requires some very minor improvements (relatively speaking) to be the one to beat. At his age, and given the short amount of time he's been involved with the sport, those improvements would seem to be well within his reach. It will be most interesting to see what he accomplishes in the next few years.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1453
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 04:04 »
    No, I don't think he's a once-in-a-generation cyclist but he's clearly very strong and, after this Tour, I think we have yet to see his limits.  . . .

But can you think of any other cyclist that entered the game so late in life and then rose so rapidly through the ranks?

Physiology is one thing, but bike handling and race savvy quite another. . . .

Bike handling and race savvy are mostly learned skills. I don't put so much value on his switch. There's a lot of crossover skills between the two. And six years is a LONG time.

I don't think he's another Sagan. Sagan IS a once-in-a-generation cyclist - if not even better. Roglic could, IMO, end up being a multi-GT winner - we just don't know yet - unless you have a better crystal ball than I do!. But he does have some of the talent that being a GT winner takes. We'll see.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6800
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 05:39 »
    Prime's accent when speaking English is definitely easier on the ear than Sagan's. :-x

Here's a question though (for t-72 probably), but what sort of training do ski jumpers generally do apart from the obvious throwing themselves through the air off a hill? Some normal skiing presumably and then any old cardio to keep the weight down?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11341
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 07:29 »
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 17:56 »
    vid of "skispringer" training.

I think I remember seeing that one somewhere before. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2664
    « Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 22:08 »
    Prime's accent when speaking English is definitely easier on the ear than Sagan's. :-x

Here's a question though (for t-72 probably), but what sort of training do ski jumpers generally do apart from the obvious throwing themselves through the air off a hill? Some normal skiing presumably and then any old cardio to keep the weight down?

Sorry for late reply, blaming vacation.
    First and foremost: Ski jumping is a MENTAL sport. If anyone can control their nerves and take calculated risks under immense pressure, it is ski jumpers. You have seen those american-inspired extreme skiing movies where skiers drop off a cliff on a steep mountainside? I don't want to talk down what they are doing, but compared to elite ski jumping, that's easy. They check their speed as they approach the jump, generally don't go very far and then rely on a combination of steep and soft landing to save their butt/back/knees from a hard landing.
    In elite ski jumping, the so-called ski flying competitions, you lock the skis in a deep grooved "tramtrack", you can't check your speed (except by standing up, which is not at all recommendable...): at the start, you can only go more or less ALL IN or some sort of disaster will follow.

ALL IN in this case means SUPER-AERODYNAMIC tuck to go as fast as possible in a straight line down to the jump. They spend an awful lot of time perfecting this position because speed at the jump is the energy to go far. I think this is one of Rogla's advantages in the time trials: he must have spent more time on aerodynamics than any of his contemporaries (but not on a bike). He probably has a very good feeling for what the fast position is.

Third possible advantage from ski-jumping is weight management, that's a lot of the same as for climbers, a low weight to surface ratio is favored in ski jumping. Ski jumpers are generally lighter than cyclists.

What is uncommon for ski jumpers is to have good endurance and high oxygen uptake as required for elite cycling. In general ski jumpers have approximately the aerobic capacity of your neighborhood's chainsmoker (this  quoting one of the Norwegian national team ski jumpers when asked about Roglic last year, some self-irony included :) ).

To sum it up: the right weight, a very good feeling for aerodynamics and a head to take chances and handle high risk that may break others. We already saw him winning the final stage time trial in Romandie last year beating Porte simply by going much faster downhill. This was before Porte tumbled down the Chartreuse in the tour de France, just to illustrate the difference in risk tolerance between the two.

As a GC racer, he has more similarities to Nibali than any of the Sky racers, but there is a big difference to Nibali when it comes to kilometers accumulated of experience since early youth days, and the diversity of technical and tactical skills that Nibali posesses. Nevertheless, a course for Nibali will probably be a good one for Roglic too - would love to see them head to head in the Giro next year.  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 00:05 »
    First and foremost: Ski jumping is a MENTAL sport. . . .

If I could have liked that twice, I would have. Long - but worth reading, every word.
  • ReplyReply

• PeteFromLeeds

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 11
    « Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 12:21 »
    I can see Primoz being very big in the next few years. If the time trial was closer to the start I feel he could've won it. Certainly a contender for a Grand Tour next year.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts