Road Races > [2.HC] PostNord Danmark Rundt - Tour of Denmark
collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6799
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
[2.HC] PostNord Danmark Rundt - Tour of Denmark
« on: August 01, 2018, 01:37 »
It's summer, the Tour de France is over - this means that the Tour of Denmark is around the corner!

A little bit of history (and then more)[1]
Spoiler (hover to show)

The parcours

Stage 1: Aalborg - Aalborg, 218.4 km

The first part of the stage through Vendsyssel is flat, but there will be four cash bonus sprints to race for. After crossing Limfjorden to Himmerland near Løgstør, the terrain becomes rolling to hilly. In the end, there will be three laps of a finishing circuit in Aalborg including a climb on Skovbakkevej - despite this, a mass sprint is the most likely outcome.

Stage 2: Viborg - Vejle, 172 km

The queen stage is raced in a classical fashion, starting in Northern Jutland and crossing the hills of Østjylland towards Vejle. The highest point of Denmark is part of the route, as are numerous small climbs in Grejsdalen near Vejle. Gl. Kongevej/Chr. Winthersvej with 42 km to go is a legbreaker, and the finishing circuit with Koldingvej and Kiddesvej guarantees to split the peloton into ones and twos.

Stage 3: Næstved - Vordingborg, 178.4 km

Starting in Næstved, the stage winds its way through southern Sjælland before crossing over to the beautiful island of Møn. There will be an intermediate sprint in Stege and a climb of Møns Klint on a gravel road before the race returns to Sjælland and a finishing circuit in Vordingborg, host of the 2013 and 2016 Danish championships.

Stage 4: Nykøbing Falster ITT, 19.1 km

Held in and around Nykøbing Falster and entirely flat, the ITT is an opportunity for the big men with huge power to make up some of the time lost in Vejle.

Stage 5: Faxe - Frederiksberg, 198.8 km

After last year's finish in Aarhus, the 2017 European Cultural Capital, the race returns to its traditional finish on Frederiksberg Allé. Starting in Faxe and passing the highest point of Sjælland, the race then visits Stevns Klint, the 'little brother' of Møns Klint, before speeding along Køge Bugt towards the capital region where 10 laps of the well-known circuit in Frederiksberg, including three hill sprints on Valby Bakke to decide the hill jersey, await the riders before the sprint finish on 'Denmarks Champs-Élysées'.

The jerseys
There are five classification jerseys (four of which are worn in-race; the fighter jersey is podium-only) and a team classification.

The overall leader gets the #lblue blue jersey sponsored by PostNord. The rules are the usual - rider with lowest overall time, taking into account bonus seconds from intermediate sprints (3"-2"-1") & finishes (10"-6"-4" except for the ITT)
The #green green jersey sponsored by Skoda is for the points classification. No points are awarded in the ITT, so this jersey will most likely be won by a sprinter who collects points at stage finishes and intermediate sprints. Rules: rider with most points, awarded at intermediate sprints (2 per stage, 5-3-1 points) & finishes (15->1 points for the top-12 on the road stages)
Sponsored by Danish pharmaceutical company Novo Nordisk's "Changing Diabetes" brand, the #kom blue polka-dot jersey marks the leader in the hill classification. Stages 1, 2 & 4 have four hill sprints each, stage 3 has two. The rider with most points gets the jersey - this is normally a prize that the Danish Conti teams fight for fiercely. Rules: rider with most hill points, awarded at hill sprints (10-6-4-2 points)
The #white white jersey sponsored by Waoo is for the U23 rider (born in 1996 or later) with the lowest overall time, taking into account bonus seconds from intermediate sprints (3"-2"-1") & finishes (10"-6"-4" except for the ITT)
The multi-coloured #combat fighter jersey is presented by Julemærkefonden. The Christmas Stamp Foundation sells special christmas-themed 'stamps' to adorn holiday mail, and the proceeds go to special children's homes where kids in need - mobbed at school, overweight, (half-)orphans etc. - go for a few months to a year in order to get to a better place in life. On each road stage, a jury awards 10-6-4-2 points to the riders they deem to have shown the most spirit. Each day, the rider with most points on that stage is awarded the jersey and the title of "Dagens Fighter" (fighter of the day), and at the end of the race, the rider with most points becomes "Løbets Fighter" (fighter of the race).
Finally, the #team team classification is sponsored by Sparekassen Vendsyssel. Vendsyssel is the eastern part of the Nordjylland "island" north of Limfjorden where most of stage 1 takes place. As usual, the times of three best-placed riders on each stage count for this classification.

The teams
Two WorldTour teams, eleven ProConti outfits, four Danish Conti teams, two foreign Conti teams and a Danish national squad make for a total of 20 teams on the official startlist.

#teamdk Danish national team:
M. Pedersen, Juul-Jensen, Carbel, Bjerg, Byriel, Clemmensen

Possibly the strongest national team at the Danish national tour ever. Two previous winners, the U23 ITT #rainbow world champion, a decent sprinter, an U23 rider who's winning races for his Italian amateur team  left and right, and another U23 rider who's impressed in the domestic scene this year. They have options for everything: Mads P and Chris JJ for the overall win, Carbel or Mads P for the sprints, Bjerg or Mads P for the ITT, Byriel and Clemmensen for breakaways and the hill jersey.

#astana Astana Pro Team: Gatto, Grivko, Minali
Although the Kazakh team has four Danish riders, the only Dane in their line-up will be DS Lars Michaelsen as Cort, Fuglsang, J. Hansen & Valgren are all tired after the Tour. I completely understand that - but they don't bring stagiaire Gregaard either, which I find a bit disappointing. Instead, Gatto and Minali will go for sprints, Grivko for the ITT, and Gatto or Fominykh could play a GC role, too.

#sunweb Team Sunweb: Kämna, Stamsnijder, Kanter
Søren Kragh is also tired after the Tour and not in the team's squad for Denmark. Instead, they bring a.o. Lennard Kämna who returns to racing after an illness-induced break from racing since March - in normal form, the young German should be a contender for the ITT and possibly the overall. German U23 champion and stagiaire Max Kanter is a guy for the sprints, and the four Dutch riders should feel right at home if the wind starts blowing. DS is former Danish national coach Morten Bennekou.

#willems Vérandas Willems-Crelan: van Aert, de Bie, Leysen
Cyclo-cross #rainbow world champion Wort van Aert continues his road season, and Kiddesvej should be right up his alley. He has some strong support riders as well with de Bie, Leysen, Merlier etc. - underestimate this team at your own risk.

#aquablue Aqua Blue Sport: C. Pedersen, Norman, Fenn
Casper Pedersen returns to home soil halfway through his first pro season. Last year he won a stage solo and finished 3rd overall - he will hope to repeat that. Lasse Norman should target the ITT, but is also a dangerous man for breakaways on the finishing circuits that are a feature of the race. With Fenn, Christian, Gate & Archbold, the team has four fast men for sprints, as well - and a Danish DS in Nicki Sørensen.

#vital Vital Concept Cycling Club: Coquard, Boeckmans, Le Bon
Bryan Coquard was second on the final stage five years ago. This is his first return to Denmark since, and he should be one of the men to watch in a sprint. Johan Le Bon is my pick for the overall.

#wanty Wanty-Groupe Gobert: W. Kreder, McNally, Meurisse
The only team with only five riders, they nevertheless have two sprinters in Wesley Kreder and Mark McNally. Vanspeybrouck's experience should help Xandro Meurisse in a possible GC bid.

#holowesko Holowesko|Citadel p/b Arapahoe Resources: Brøchner, Lienhard, Flaksis
This US team makes its race début, bringing their Danish fast man Nicolai Brøchner home. Swiss Fabian Lienhard, Latvian Andzs Flaksis, and experienced US sprinter John Murphy should also be watched.

#bardiani Bardiani-CSF: Guardini, Barbin, Simion
The former team of race director Jesper Worre, Bardiani are a mainstay of the race peloton. Andrea Guardini only comes to Denmark in even years (2010, 2014, 2016, and now 2018) - he's won two stages here already, but that's four years ago by now. The Italian team always brings a motivated squad, and several riders who broke through at the Giro one or two years later first drew my notice with a good showing in Denmark.

#vlaanderen Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise: Noppe, Rickaert, Warlop
The Flandrien team par excellence is also a regular guest, and they also always bring a good squad with riders who often show themselves in an HC race for the first time before turning heads and securing WT contracts in the spring classics.

#novonordisk Team Novo Nordisk: Peron, Planet, U. Poli
The team composed exclusively of type 1 diabetics gets an invitation every year - they're sponsored by a Danish pharmaceutical company who's also a race sponsor. They often join breakaways, they wine and dine company mugwumps and business contacts, and that's about it, really. If they get on the podium in any way, I would be surprised.

#roompot Roompot-Nederlandse Loterij: Weening, Wippert, Vermeltfoort
An all-Dutch squad with a mixture of experience and youth. The climbs of Vejle might be a tad short for Pieter Weening, but he'll try anyway. In fact, they could be more to the liking of Coen Vermeltfoort or Elmar Reinders while Wouter Wippert goes for the sprints.

#academy Israel Cycling Academy: Neilands, A. Jensen, Enger
Krists Neilands aka. the man who helped Nibali to win in San Remo could do very well in this race, chasing a stage in late attacks on the finishing circuits and going for GC. The same is true for August Jensen. Dennis van Winden provides experience and a card for the ITT while Enger, Sbaragli, and Räim form a three-pronged sprint threat.

#rally Rally Cycling: R. Anderson, de Vos, Carpenter
Experienced Ryan Anderson and Charles Huff support talented Adam de Vos, Robin Carpenter, and Colin Joyce. It's hard to say who of these three will be their GC rider. Eric Young has a nose for US crits, but can he prevail in Danish sprints as well?

#joker Team Joker Icopal: Dahl, Hoem, Tiller
Former Norwegian champion Rasmus Tiller is a clever one-day racer who could go for a stage win. Herman Dahl won the GP Horsens Posten 1.5 months ago, Bjørn Tore Hoem knows how to place in the overall top-10 in the big Norwegian stage races and should be able to transfer those skills to Denmark.

#waoo Team Waoo:
Kamp, R. Guldhammer, A. Kragh, N. Larsen, J. Schultz, Veyhe

With ProConti ambitions and a new title sponsor, this Danish Conti team has lofty goals: They want a stage win and a place on the overall podium. For both, Alexander Kamp is their best bet - he has been 3rd and 2nd in Vejle, and he races with lots of panache, not afraid to go for a 'long-range' attack on the penultimate lap instead of waiting for the final kilometre, something that meant he 'only' finished 8th in Vejle last year. But he made the race what it was. Kamp's weakness in the ITT is probably the reason they don't proclaim the overall win as a goal. Rasmus Guldhammer and Asbjørn Kragh are strong co-leaders, Niklas Larsen will want to do well in the ITT. Jesper Schultz and *fo Torkil Veyhe are also very good riders who shouldn't be underestimated.

#coloquick Team coloQuick:
J. Johansen, Moberg, S. Christiansen, Lyhne, Bøgh Wallin, Vinjebo

Branding themselves as the team that forms the next stars of Danish cycling, the black-and-white team fields three possible next stars in 2017 junior #rainbow world champion Julius Johansen, Daniel Lyhne (replacing Jonas Vingegaard after the latter's concussion in the Giro della Valle d'Aosta), and Rasmus Bøgh Wallin. Johansen won the always hotly-contested Danish U23 #champdk title in his first season out of the junior ranks, and while his trajectory isn't quite clear yet, he will certainly try his best in the biggest Danish race. Bøgh Wallin is in his last U23 season; he's won UCI races in 2017 and 2018 and is a tactically clever rider with a very good sprint. Christian Moberg is an excellent road captain, and while out of the U23 ranks already, Steffen Christiansen and Emil Vinjebo are still not exactly old at 23 years.

#bornholm BHS-Almeborg Bornholm:
Toft, Quaade, C. Lisson, Amdi Pedersen, Toudal, Bak Klaris

Toft, Quaade, Bak Klaris ... the ITT pedigree in the Bornholm team is high. Martin Toft returns home after an attempt at beating Bradley Wiggins' Hour Record on the Aguascalientes track in Mexico - he will be in great form. And as three-time Danish ITT #champdk champion, he's the man to beat on Saturday. Rasmus Quaade has said that he will target the race overall, and if he doesn't lose too much time on Kiddesvej, he's in with a shout for a podium place. The rest of the team will probably go for the hill jersey.

#riwal Riwal CeramicSpeed Cycling Team:
Vinther, Kongstad, Stokbro, Chris Anker, P. Clausen, M. Norsgaard

Another Danish Conti team with ProConti ambitions - and unlike Riis' blue-clad boys, the boys in orange have secured their main sponsor for 2019 and beyond already as Riwal continues to support the team. Chris Anker is on his farewell tour before taking up a role in sponsor relations and as team co-owner, Troels Vinther and Patrick Clausen have heaps of experience in the Danish racing scene. Kongstad, Stokbro & Norsgaard are the youngsters to look out for - if I had to place a bet, I'd say Norsgaard for a top-10 in the ITT and Stokbro for a GC bid.

#hurom Team Hurom: Buts, Vasylyuk, Latoń
Came in late when #gazprom Gazprom-RusVelo cancelled their participation. A bit of a left-field entry, but with experienced riders like Buts and Vasylyuk as well as younger talents like Latoń, they could surprise some people who may think that this Polish Conti team is cannon fodder.

Other previews
If you want to go into even deeper detail, Emil Axelgaard has written novel-length previews (in *dk) for Feltet.dk:
Optakt PostNord Danmark Rundt 2018
Optakt: 1. etape

TV broadcast, race website, Twitter
All stages will be live on DR1, almost from start to finish!
The national TV channel also covers the race on its website - this includes a livestream. I don't know whether this will be geo-restricted, but I think not.
EDIT: It is indeed geo-restricted to Denmark only :fp - so either use a VPN to make them believe that you are in Denmark, or go to your trusted source for livestreams. :fp :fp

Broadcast times:
Stage 1: live from 12:10 CEST
Stage 2: live from 13:10 CEST
Stage 3: live from 13:05 CEST
Stage 4: live from 14:25 CEST
Stage 5: live from 11:50 CEST

:web Race website
:twitter Race Twitter
#PNDKR2018
 1. mostly copied from my 2015 race thread[1]
 1. where it was mostly copied from my 2013 race thread
 2. as predicted by yours truly beforehand
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 22:25 by LukasCPH »
    Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: PostNord Danmark Rundt - Tour of Denmark
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 22:30 »
    I watched only the last two laps of the finishing circuit on stage 1 - but apparently I didn't miss much.

#bornholm Magnus Bak Klaris made a bid for stage glory on the penultimate lap and had an advantage of 35 seconds with one lap to go, but was caught just after the hill on the circuit. From an unorganised peloton, #aquablue Lasse Norman Hansen went 1300 metres from the line and just held on for victory, five metres ahead of Coquard & co.

Tomorrow sees the queen stage to Vejle. Feltet.dk preview (in *dk):
    Optakt: 2. etape
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 124
    « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 21:21 »
    Final 7 Kilometers Stage 2:

Final 5 Kilometers Stage 3:
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1752
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 11:21 »
    Shaping up like this years edition of the race will be one of the more clasical variations of the race. Name of the game being: don’t lose in Vejle, win on the ITT.

Todays ITT should be worth a watch, I see quite a few riders that could have a hope of claiming the overall.

Still would really wish a more eventful route would be the case. I am also still sad to have seen the half stages go, but I understand the reason behind it I guess.

Should be a good one today, if I had to bet would guess CJJ might take the overall lead today, however with that being said: Go Quaade!!!
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10867
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 11:55 »
    Shaping up like this years edition of the race will be one of the more clasical variations of the race. Name of the game being: don’t lose in Vejle, win on the ITT.

could be close, but I'd think van Aert is good enough of a time trialist to keep it
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 13:00 »
    could be close, but I'd think van Aert is good enough of a time trialist to keep it

Prehaps, however I think all is still up to be decided, if Van Aert is to win overall I think he will need to top 5 if not podium today. Both could be possible, I mean I don't even think a win from him is out of the question.

However looking at the GC as of pressent, I would take the pack over him to win.

1st Wout Van Aert
    4th Lasse Norman Hansen +11''
    8th Hugo Houle +21''
    12th Christoffer Juul Jensen +21''
    14th Johan Le Bon +21''
    19th Andrei Grivko +21''
    20th Rasmus Quaade +21''

Would probably be my 7 to watch for the overall win.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6362
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 19:03 »
    Watching the last stage on the road made me think... They do too many laps, I mean it is cool getting to see the riders a few times, but honestly after the first two times round. It got pretty dull until the last time really.

The wind on the final stage was amaizing though. I really liked how far out the race started, like 170km out, proving again why it is my favorite race.

I still miss the half stage and wish it would come back. I know TV is an issue, but I think I would prefer a half stage and then only fixed cameras for the ITT. I mean it is hard to tell what is fast anyways with nothing to put it in perspective. Rather have fixed cameras, a studio with talk, and lots of times on the screen tbh.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 21:55 »
    Watching the last stage on the road made me think... They do too many laps, I mean it is cool getting to see the riders a few times, but honestly after the first two times round. It got pretty dull until the last time really.
    But Frederiksberg is "Denmark's Champs-Élysées"!!!

I agree with you on this. Having two-three laps in Frederiksberg ought to be more than enough.

The wind on the final stage was amaizing though. I really liked how far out the race started, like 170km out, proving again why it is my favorite race.
    Yes, that was an awesome stage. :cool

I still miss the half stage and wish it would come back. I know TV is an issue, but I think I would prefer a half stage and then only fixed cameras for the ITT. I mean it is hard to tell what is fast anyways with nothing to put it in perspective. Rather have fixed cameras, a studio with talk, and lots of times on the screen tbh.
    I agree again.
    But I don't think it will ever come back, for better or worse. Riders didn't like the half-stages, but the current format has just too long an ITT compared to the other challenges. The balance is off.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    but the current format has just too long an ITT compared to the other challenges. The balance is off.

Yes, and I think we have discussed this before in the perfect race thread. For me 11ish Km of ITT seems about right
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.