collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 6659
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
[2.HC] Colorado Classic
« on: August 12, 2018, 10:37 »
Colorado Classic

More than 150 of the world’s top pro men and women cyclists coming to the 2018 Colorado Classic in Vail and Denver August 16-19 will race through some of Colorado’s most challenging and scenic mountain terrain and urban settings on multiple route formats.

The routes, which include mountain and city circuits, a time trial, an out-and-back, and a criterium, provide something for everyone as they challenge racers and bring fans close to the action with steep, high-altitude climbs, breakneck sprints, tight, technical street racing, and a challenging dirt uphill.

The field will travel a four-stage course that is nearly 245 miles long (395K) with 15,486 feet of climbing.

Like last year, the Colorado Classic has been re-imagined to be more fan-friendly with routes that start and finish in the same location, smaller team sizes for more competitive racing, and a compact four-stage format. The race will also add multiple spectator-friendly “Race Rally Points” that enable fans to get close to the action and cheer riders on mountain climbs, sprints or street turns.

“The second annual Colorado Classic offers fans an opportunity to experience world-class professional cycling in Vail and Denver,” said David Koff, CEO of RPM Events Group, the race and festival organizer. “With our 2018 mountain and city race routes and multiple formats, plus the three-day companion ‘celebration of the bike’ at Velorama, we are striving to create the most fan-friendly professional cycling event in the country.”

Source

Stage 1  »  Vail Circuit  (103.2km)

From the stage blurb "The course is 14.2 kilometres and will remind fans of the tight, twisty roads typically found in European races. The riders will have to deal with cobbles, sharp corners, gravel roads, steep climbs and more, in what is sure to be an action packed race."

Stage 2  »  Vail TT   (15.88km)

They raced this a few times back in the US Pro Challenge days. TJVG won in 2013 and 2014.

Stage 3  »  Denver  ›  Denver   (161.9km)

Stage 4  »  Denver Circuit   (114.8km)

Not the exact same route as last year when Raim won, but close enough.

Official Website
Official Twitter
Startlist
#coclassic18
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Re: [2.HC] Colorado Classic
    « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 10:48 »
    Competing teams:

UCI World Teams

Team EF Education First-Drapac P/B Cannondale (USA)
    Trek-Segafredo (USA)
    Mitchelton-Scott (AUS)
    Team LottoNL-Jumbo (NED)

UCI Professional Continental Teams

Hagens Berman Axeon (USA)
    Holowesko|Citadel P/B Arapahoe Resources (USA)
    Israel Cycling Academy (ISR)
    UnitedHealthcare Professional Cycling Team (USA)
    Rally Cycling (USA)

UCI Continental Teams

Aevolo (USA)
    Elevate-KHS Pro Cycling (USA)
    Jelly Belly P/B Maxxis (USA)
    Silber Pro Cycling (CAN)
    303 Project (USA)

National Teams

Team Rwanda Cycling (RWA)

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 10:55 »

All stages are slated to finish at roughly the same time. Same deal as Utah - add 7 for UK times and 8 for continental Europe.

https://www.coloradoclassic.com/2018-colorado-classic-streaming-and-tv/

Tour Tracker should be available for this. Probably geo-restricted again as Eurosport will be showing it as well. The link shows other options.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 11:05 »
    From the stage blurb "The course is 14.2 kilometres and will remind fans of the tight, twisty roads typically found in European races. The riders will have to deal with cobbles, sharp corners, gravel roads, steep climbs and more, in what is sure to be an action packed race."

"The race will start by Mountain Plaza where they will instantly tackle the main feature of the day, the dirt climb to the KOM on Mill Creek Road. The dirt road is used as a ski slope in the winter and by mountain bikers during the summer adding to the challenging nature of this climb for the riders on their road bikes."
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2395
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 14:20 »
    The race will start by Mountain Plaza where they will instantly tackle the main feature of the day, the dirt climb to the KOM on Mill Creek Road.

I must've blinked and missed that part in the video. :slow

Beautiful area. Between the scenery and the road conditions, it's no wonder cycling is so popular out there. I've got more and more friends who have moved out that way, but I've never been. I would love to see those roads for myself though.

I also had no idea this race was even taking place. I don't even remember it from last year.  :flustered
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 16:56 »
    I must've blinked and missed that part in the video. :slow

Starts at around 40s. They must have started the circuit at some other point rather than at the base of the climb.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2649
    « Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 21:15 »
    It is a shift down from the USA ProCyclingChallenge or whatever it was called (USA PROCyclingChallEnge ...something with enough capitals to satisfy even American headlines  :D ).
    I guess the new (2nd year is it now?) format is a reduced-cost operation but gone are also the long rides across the passes at sickening altitudes. In other words, not just a shift down but a step down to?
    If I read the profiles right, most of the racing is now at 2000something meters above sea level with Vail Pass in the TT at more or less exactly 3000 m.a.s.l. the highest point. That compares to the base area in Breckenridge, which was previously used a lot in this race. My personal experience of flying into Denver, driving up to Breckenridge and discovering I could not even breathe normally the first night there, is hard to forget. And that was the base altitude, the stages typically went uphill from there....

One of my favorite locations, I still miss the PrOCyClinGcHallenGe and hope they can fix their sponsors, attract better riders and get a week long WT race here. One for the Columbians and the North Americans. The time zone makes it ideal for late night TV sports viewing here in Europe - it in fact easier to catch it live than for example the BinkBoink tour, so why they just can't make it work for a larger audience, beats me.   

The GC seems to have Yates written all over it? With an uphill team trial and no Sepp Kuss to hold him back?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 18:56 »
    The GC seems to have Yates written all over it? With an uphill team trial and no Sepp Kuss to hold him back?

The news today that Yates is heading to the Vuelta will almost certainly mean that he won't be here after all.  Even if he had been riding I'm not sure I would have had him as favourite. Not unless he'd been over in the vicinity for the past week or so acclimatising.

I still miss the PrOCyClinGcHallenGe and hope they can fix their sponsors, attract better riders and get a week long WT race here. One for the Columbians and the North Americans. The time zone makes it ideal for late night TV sports viewing here in Europe - it in fact easier to catch it live than for example the BinkBoink tour, so why they just can't make it work for a larger audience, beats me. 

Yeah it's good to have it back. It makes a nice double header. I'm happy enough though with the peloton composition as it is (and definitely wouldn't want it as a WT race). Mainly second stringers or young guns from the WT teams duking it out with the local PCT/CT teams in top form. I remember Porte and Froome "racing" the US Pro off the back of the TdF a few years back and they were both nowhere.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 09:22 »
    #mitchelton

https://twitter.com/MitcheltonSCOTT/status/1029268247089225728

Sam Bewley (NZL, 31)
    Brayan Chaves (COL, 21)
    Lucas Hamilton (AUS, 22)
    Damien Howson (AUS, 26)
    Rob Power (AUS, 24)
    Sun Xiaolong (CHI, 24)

Riding for a good GC placement from Power.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 05:30 »
    #efd

https://twitter.com/Ride_Argyle/status/1029489307185229825

Nate Brown (USA)
    Hugh Carthy (GBR)
    Joe Dombrowski (USA)
    Dani Martinez (COL)
    José Neves (PRT)
    Taylor Phinney (USA)

“José Neves is probably the most talented rider to come out of Portugal in the last 10 years, realistically since Rui Costa,” said Vaughters. “He’s a guy that’s proven himself again and again in the U23 and the larger races in Portugal.”

#trek

https://twitter.com/TrekSegafredo/status/1029455960643784704
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 07:30 »
    https://twitter.com/wcstats/status/1029972958356418563

No time for leading lights, but I'm going for a Tvetcov overall win.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 15:49 »
    https://twitter.com/Ride_Argyle/status/1029489307185229825

That comes off as a pretty halfhearted attempt by JV to make this race sound relevant.  :shh

He could've just said, "So after all the big important races that people have heard of and care about, there's also this one, too."  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 16:07 »
    I've only just realized how short this race is. Most of the stages are only 2.5 hours, with the once exception, stage 3 being approx. 4 hrs.

Maybe the compact format will keep things more interesting. I suppose there won't be much time for indecisiveness on the part of the teams. I also imagine that the intensity of the stages should be fairly high as a result?

What was the takeaway from last year's edition?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 19:46 »
    What was the takeaway from last year's edition?

What do you mean? Was it exciting?

I only saw the two sprint stages last year, so I can't give 100% first hand feedback, but the two other stages (analogous to 1 and 3 this year) looked fairly exciting from the results and race reports.

Some of the previews I have been reading are saying it's all about the TT this year, but I'm not so sure.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 02:10 »
    Chalk one up for the solo breakaway! :win

20-year-old, and U23 TT champ, Gage Hecht  #aevolo (Aevolo) out-foxed the "old men" of the peloton for an impressive victory.

After spending a good part of the day in a four-man breakaway, Hecht used the final turn up the gravel climb to shake his companions and leave the peloton behind for good. Inside of 5k remaining, he was able to maintain a 20 second advantage for most of the remainder of the race. The sprinters didn't look to pose of a threat until the final kilometer, but for them it was too little, too late.

Gage Hecht is a Colorado native, and that likely provided added inspiration to be able to win on home turf. Not only did he take the leader's Blue Jersey, but due to his aggressive riding all day, he scooped up ALL the jerseys: Best Young Rider, Points Classification, and KOM.
     :cool

(And, I assume, most aggressive rider as well? Four hours after the race and the result still aren't posted on the official race site.)

Coming in with his own WTF moment, Travis McCabe won the bunch sprint behind, @ 0:06 sec, but some reason raised his arm in victory.  :S Could he and his team really have not realized that they previously reeled in the break minus one? Could that explain the disorganized and ineffective chase for the last five kilometers? :fp

Due to time bonuses mid-race, Hecht ends up 0:12 in the GC.

10th was Taylor Phinney.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 02:47 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 02:51 »
    Aevolo Cycling is an interesting developmental team that was put together by Michael Creed just two years ago, and has a continuing education requirement for everyone on the roster.

Aevolo Cycling is a US-registered UCI Continental cycling team built on passion, promise and professionalism.  With a roster that is exclusively comprised of riders under the age of 23, the team’s mission is not only to develop elite cyclists, but to simulaneously foster an environment that encourages the pursuit of continued education.  The student-athlete approach emphasizes a commitment to intellectual curiosity and broader human development that far outlasts an athletic career.

Apparently Creed came up with team name himself, but I've no idea what it means. :slow

They dominated this year's U23 U.S. National Championships with Gage Hecht taking both the TT and the Criterium, and teammate Alex Hoehn winning the road race.

And team member Luis Villalobos (Mexican TT champ) just won the Best Young Rider's jersey last week at the Tour of Utah.

I can't imagine how thrilled they must be with today's emphatic victory! :win

https://twitter.com/Michael_Creed/status/1030232900438880256

Hecht has been a formidable racer in cyclocross as well, having won six junior national championships over the years. Definitely a rider to keep an eye on.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:21 by Drummer Boy »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 07:32 »
    The blurb mentioned "cobbles, sharp corners, gravel roads, steep climbs and more". The "more" unfortunately included a couple of long straight sections beside the highway which kinda killed any GC action from the pack, but the climb and the attacks on the last 3 laps going over it did disrupt the chase as the peloton had to regroup each time.

--------------------------------------------

The Rwandans had a tough time of things. They'd had travel issues getting to the race and 3 or 4 of them only arrived with 1 day (and maybe not even a full day) to acclimatize. So it's no surprise to see them 5 out of 6 of their team failed to finish.

Last year when they also raced here, they at least had the Cascade Cycling Classic as a warm up and what do you know, 4 of their 6 riders finished all four stages in Colorado.

They must have been really pleased to get the HC invite again, but with it starting so soon after the Tour du Rwanda they might have been better off declining.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2296
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 08:05 »
     Travis McCabe's sprint winning celebration is testimony to UHC not putting their collective noses in the wind and contributing to catching Gage Hecht. How else could they not have seen the guy up the road on those roads?
    So the entire team gets my Face Palme d'Or. :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11278
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 08:16 »
    Travis McCabe's sprint winning celebration is testimony to UHC not putting their collective noses in the wind and contributing to catching Gage Hecht. How else could they not have seen the guy up the road on those roads?
    So the entire team gets my Face Palme d'Or. :D

the celebration remained unnoticed in #uhc UHC's race report :D

...but some other reasons are named

Team director Seba Alexandre said the plan for the team was to race aggressive and have representation in the break, in order to put pressure on other teams to ride.

“With six riders per team, it is limited the number of riders to ride, and we knew everyone was going to look at us.”

The plan worked when Alex Cataford took off in a break with three riders, Pascal Eenkhoorn (Lotto NL Jumbo), Liklas Eg (Trek Segafredo). Eventual winner Gage Hecht (Aevolo) bridged across to the break to make it four up the road leading by a maximum of just a minute and 30 seconds on the 109-km stage.

“EF Educational First Drapac missed the move and they were forced to ride,” Alexandre said. “Last two times up the KOM climb, the gap was still 40” and lot of attacks in the field.”

On the last lap, Daniel Jaramillo was sent to the front and follow attacks on the climb. The gap to the break was just 30 seconds at that point. Once they hit the climb, Hecht attacked and open 40 seconds on the field.

“Jaramillo did great following the attack of Daniel Martinez (EF Education First) and closed the gap,” Alexandre said. “They caught the three remaining riders from the break, field chased them, but once they caught those guys all sat on, and the gap to the kid was holding at 20 seconds. Gavin Mannion did a good pull to hold it, but no other team was interested and we didn’t have the number of guys. Then Jaramillo rode again, but without Cataford, who was in the break all day and Norris, not feeling good at the end, we just couldn’t bring it back with two guys.”
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6644
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 09:34 »
    And now for today's episode of the Obsessive Compulsive Rant Show...

Two silly little things really irritated me about what was otherwise quite an entertaining finish in Vail.

One was the way that, having made his move, Hecht kept looking back every few metres, which almost made me want him to lose.

Second and far worse for me was the completely inexplicable application, for #aevolo wearing a striking green and gold kit, of blue handlebar tape. I mean, have Creed's wrenches not learned anything from the weekly eyewash that is #wanty?

Shoe tone dissonance I can just about forgive but there is simply no excuse for failing to choose a neutral or matching colour of wrap and then, as if to add insult to injury, finishing it off with "protective conductor" electrical tape, an offence unto itself already committed by #mitchelton I should add, who must later have thought better of it because the neat colour convergence coincidence does not override the decidedly unmagical obviousness that it is basic electrical tape.

Yes indeed, I need to get out more.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 17:51 »
    ...So the entire team gets my Face Palme d'Or. :D

They must've been aware of Hecht in the straights, but the final km or so was twisty, and he was pretty much out of their line-of-sight until the end. So I thought maybe race-fatigue had blurred their brains a bit, and with no one visible in front of them for the final lead-in, McCabe and the others were perhaps riding more on instinct...or something.

Still not sure why Travis was so impressed with being the first loser behind the winner.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 17:59 »
    The Rwandans had a tough time of things. They'd had travel issues getting to the race and 3 or 4 of them only arrived with 1 day (and maybe not even a full day) to acclimatize. So it's no surprise to see them 5 out of 6 of their team failed to finish.

Yikes. So that's it for them? Is their lone finisher, Nsengimana Jean Bosco, even going to start today?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6924
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 22:12 »
    Apparently Creed came up with team name himself, but I've no idea what it means. :slow
    Some sort of play on 'evolution'? That's my best guess. Why it starts with 'ae' then and not just 'e', I have no idea.
    Maybe Creed moonlights as inventor of car make names, their spellings are about the same level of logic. ;)

Second and far worse for me was the completely inexplicable application, for #aevolo wearing a striking green and gold kit, of blue handlebar tape. I mean, have Creed's wrenches not learned anything from the weekly eyewash that is #wanty?
    It's quite obvious that the blue handlebar tape is to remind the riders of the colour of the leader's jersey which is blue, not yellow. :P

Yikes. So that's it for them? Is their lone finisher, Nsengimana Jean Bosco, even going to start today?
    Nsengimana did start the ITT, and was faster than six others (including Ty Magner and Danny Pate).
    Go Jean-Bosco! :cheer
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 22:59 »
    Stage 2 - iTT

Eighty riders set out, one at a time, against the clock, on a 15.8km course in Vail, and there's really not all that much more to report on.
    :angel

To me, the race coverage didn't really seem to capture the course profile at all. I could hardly ever tell when the riders were going uphill. Granted, it was an iTT, so I wasn't exactly fixated on the race, but still...

Last man off, Gage Hecht, caught and passed Travis McCabe, but that was only interesting thing to witness that I noticed—except for the fact that they were riding road bikes with no TT modifications. I will, at every opportunity, wish that every iTT and TTT was such. #BanTTBikes

Gavin Mannion (USA) UHC  #uhc, took the day's honors along with securing the GC lead.

Gage Hecht dropped to 17th overall, 01:12 back on GC, after coming in 21st on the stage, 01:31 behind Mannion.
    The still-recovering Taylor Phinney was 47th on the stage at 03:06. (38th on GC @3:06)
    Travis McCabe was 49th at 03:10 (37th on GC @3:04)

The lone representative left from Team Rwanda,  #teamrw Nsengimana Jean Bosco, managed 74th on the stage @04:25, leaving him in 73rd on the GC @10:32.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:20 by Drummer Boy »

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11278
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #26 on: August 18, 2018, 10:32 »
    looks like not going full in for McCabe the day before paid off for #uhc :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #27 on: August 19, 2018, 09:10 »

Now some people (not naming names) might say "what a crap Queen stage", but if you look at it another way "what a great sprint stage".

Not too many sprint stages where the GC guys attack from 130km out and that's just what happened when EF-Drapac rolled the dice early and got away with a trio of Martinez, Dombro and Carthy. Maybe not the best type of riders for this gig, but also along for the ride were SUVs Howson and Skujins. Sanchez and Swirbul were the final two riders.

The best placed of these riders was Carthy at just 21s in the GC, so UHC had to keep an tight leash on things, which they did, never letting the gap get to more than ~1m30. It wasn't easy though. Even after the official climbing had finished there were still quite a few short uphill drags mixed into the long descent and there was much grimacing going on.

As the km ticked down it was touch and go whether they would catch them or not (the inaccurate time gaps didn't help). Finally when they had almost caught them Tvetcov bridged over and he was the only one able to respond to Skujins subsequent attack. Now the bridging over was a great team move as he could act as an anchor (being 2nd in the GC), but when he started working with Skujins that was in essence attacking his team leader.

However those two didn't make it, but there was still time for a late attack from the Roth-dog and what a ending for Silber it would have been in their (probable) final race. It looked good for him until Wynants (I think) hit the front and dragged him back for the sprinters (or the sprinters who had any energy left).

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 11:10 »
    https://twitter.com/Muzungu4/status/1031094399768440832

Errrrrrrr Bosco, the last man standing, was a DNF yesterday unfortunately.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 01:17 »
    Just to recap a bit more on Stage 3 for a moment...

It turns out that 2nd place Edwin Avila  #academy somehow lost his saddle in the final KM, well before reaching the line.  :o

https://twitter.com/mrconde/status/1030931904462303232

“I didn’t crash or anything. I was watching the video yesterday to see how it might have fallen off, but I didn’t see. I have no idea how it happened,” Ávila told VeloNews.

Ávila says he still had his saddle as he was heading into the finale, one of the favorites to battle for the stage win. Somewhere in the run-in to the last kilometer, however, it fell off his seat post. The timing was not ideal. 
    :D

“When we got to the last kilometer, I got on the pedals to take a curve among the first few riders because I knew I had to be there,” he said. “When I went to sit down after the curve, I didn’t have a saddle.”
    :slow

“Oof, it’s horrible. Horrible,” he said. “You’re like ‘Go, go, go!’ and do your sprint at the absolute maximum and then you’ve got no energy left and all you want to do is sit down — and you can’t sit down! It was the hardest moment of a hard day.”

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.